Kim Yuna will not compete this GP season | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Kim Yuna will not compete this GP season

Peach

Rinkside
The plan is to follow last year-senior B, Nationals, Sochi. She wil not lose to anyone, confidence/training every day, the let it loose at Olys. Sounds like a plan to me. I was right, minor injury. Oh, these craft skaters/coaches, LOL. BTW, one can simply complain of pain to team doctor and get out of competitions.-3 comps he did not want to do...this is FS....it happens all the time. The fly on the wall only knows. Well, I'm putting my money on her...where can I find a bookie?:laugh:

Do you honestly think she lied about her injury though? I mean I had my suspicions as well, but I think it was a smart move on her part. If I were her, I would've done the same thing. I wouldn't want to risk anything. It kinda scares me how her schedule this year strongly resembles her schedule last year :unsure:

Krislite

Medalist
Do you honestly think she lied about her injury though? I mean I had my suspicions as well, but I think it was a smart move on her part. If I were her, I would've done the same thing. I wouldn't want to risk anything. It kinda scares me how her schedule this year strongly resembles her schedule last year :unsure:

What's so "scary" about that? Her schedule is fine--a couple of minor competitions to test her programs and that's all she really needs for Sochi. She's already "tested" herself at a big-pressure event recently at Worlds just seven months ago.

prettykeys

Medalist
Thank you to cooper and Krislite for sharing!

Another tidbit I caught: She said because this is her second Olympics, she will try her best, but her primary goal is to enjoy herself this time? (Please correct me if I'm wrong; my Korean is not too strong)

Poor girl, I bet with these questions they are reminding her of the pressure and expectations. Cutest tap on the mic-check. :biggrin:

I love this pic, from cooper's list:
http://cfile233.uf.daum.net/image/243FC4365270634C0E9390

Peach

Rinkside
What's so "scary" about that? Her schedule is fine--a couple of minor competitions to test her programs and that's all she really needs for Sochi. She's already "tested" herself at a big-pressure event recently at Worlds just seven months ago.

OK maybe I used the wrong word... I just thought it was interesting. It obviously wasn't her intention to skip the GP series. Because of her injury, she now has to repeat what she did last year. She's probably going to compete at NRW again. Anyway I didn't mean it in a bad way whatsoever :).

thinspread

On the Ice
The plan is to follow last year-senior B, Nationals, Sochi. She wil not lose to anyone, confidence/training every day, the let it loose at Olys. Sounds like a plan to me. I was right, minor injury. Oh, these craft skaters/coaches, LOL. BTW, one can simply complain of pain to team doctor and get out of competitions.-3 comps he did not want to do...this is FS....it happens all the time. The fly on the wall only knows. Well, I'm putting my money on her...where can I find a bookie?:laugh:

I don't think she faked injury, if that's what you were thinking. Why would she want to spend a whole month without practicing in full force with the jumps, with the Olympics only 4 months away? You don't need the fly on the wall to know that, since she's not training in a private rink, there are a lot of eyes around her, all the while being under suffocating scrutiny of the Korean media, some of them known to be not always friendly to her. Besides, if healthy she could have easily gone as well with duplicating her 2009-2010 routine, carry the momentum from the lopsided win at Worlds and set herself as a prohibitive favorite early on -- I think that was what she wanted to do since she started preparation for the season quite early, forgoing her usual summer ATS shows.

I think she still needs to be cautious, mind what happened to Osmond last week. Osmond suffered the same kind of foot injury two months prior to Kim's, still would have been better off if she had negotiated further with her early season schedule. I hope all the ladies fully recover to 100% by the end of year.

Robeye

Final Flight
Come on guys, have a heart.

Right before I entered "The Edge" sub-forum, I saw a partial thread title that read "Kim Yuna will not compete..." which was then cut off. My pulse went up about 30 beats almost immediately. :p

Couldn't you have made a new thread headlined by something like "Yuna is Back!"? ;)

EricRohmer

On the Ice
Osmond suffered the same kind of foot injury two months prior to Kim's

I know it is one month. (I heard that Osmond was injured at late August and was in an air cast for a while.)

Right before I entered "The Edge" sub-forum, I saw a partial thread title that read "Kim Yuna will not compete..." which was then cut off. My pulse went up about 30 beats almost immediately. :p

:laugh:

cooper

Medalist
Thank you to cooper and Krislite for sharing!

Another tidbit I caught: She said because this is her second Olympics, she will try her best, but her primary goal is to enjoy herself this time? (Please correct me if I'm wrong; my Korean is not too strong)

Poor girl, I bet with these questions they are reminding her of the pressure and expectations. Cutest tap on the mic-check. :biggrin:

I love this pic, from cooper's list:
http://cfile233.uf.daum.net/image/243FC4365270634C0E9390

the actual quote from reuters' article...

- "The Sochi Games is not only my second Olympics but the 'retirement stage' for me, so I want to have a greater experience than any other competition before," she said.

link from the article: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/10/30/us-olympics-sochi-korea-idUSBRE99T08120131030

McIce

Rinkside
One thing I noticed from the interview is that she said she could still feel pain, although a lot better. She also said pain will stay since she has to go on with training. I'm concerned if she can handle the pain appropriately. Obviously the injury won't be completely healed this season because of the training. If she continues with intense training, I'm worried if she's gonna make the bruise worse again and seriously impact her Olympics.

bebevia

On the Ice
Two weeks ago, she couldn't jump; last week, she could only pop/double jumps; she started training triples this week. The speed does concern me, as she tends to be less than an exaggerator. 70% form is likely 70% of GOE 0, not her potential.

thinspread

On the Ice
Two weeks ago, she couldn't jump; last week, she could only pop/double jumps; she started training triples this week. The speed does concern me, as she tends to be less than an exaggerator. 70% form is likely 70% of GOE 0, not her potential.

?? Does an injury to a foot force an elite skater to start from basics? Has Osmond transformed into a competitor in a senior GP in two months from scratch as a jumper?

I don't think her "70%" remark means that she's at 70% level in form for individual elements, in terms of execution quality. Rather, it means that she's 70% ready for competition conditioning wise, and that's what she actually said in the interview. Let's use some commonsense, if we are informed skating fans.

Sara

On the Ice
Yuna's comment: "Pain vanished a lot but minor pain will always be as long as I keep practising. I can jump practice now. I can now land all triple jumps, but jump is not all. Other aspects such as stamina is not ready yet. My recovery (to competition) is about 70%. I think I will go to a B-competition in Dec."

I expect her to compete in Dortmund in December. :)

Krislite

Medalist

70% refers to her stamina. And what the heck is 70% of GOE 0 mean? :confused: Anything times zero is zero.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Go Yuna, heal, take care and give us your best in Sochi. Actually I think you are the best, though I want Carolina for gold :)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
And so the drama continues. Who knows the truth. Is she really fine and this is just a game not to lose anyone - that is far too cynical. If anything she is injured worse than she is letting on. Other cynics may say she is doing what some think Alissa and Evan are doing - giving the outward sign they will be there at Sochi or a threat when deepe down they know it is game over. I thiink Yuna can still do it as she did last year unless her injury is too far gone. just another puzzle piece to the olympics. Who know sthe real truth How much is show How much is hype how much is pscyho babble.

skateluvr

Record Breaker

No not lying, I just think it is a minor injury, and her team wants her to do exactly what she did last year. If she skates GP not 100 percent, she might lose - that is bad for her image as WC. Also, like I said, it is 3 comps. she does not want to skate against. GP final will have 5 other excellent skaters. YuNa does lose, and that will tarnish WC. This is strategy for the games, in my gut. Others do it. Plush did it a lot. She was so comfy last year. YuNa wants the easiest way to get there. When she says she just wants to have fun...well, common..she wants a second gold medal.

I just hope S. Korea does not diss her if she gets less. Their expectations are likely exactly like 4 years ago, esp since the WCG.

froh1981

Rinkside
Yuna mentioned several times that she was in top form near the 2010 Olympics. She often compares her current physical condition to her best possible condition that she had in 2010 Olympics. I think 70% should be understood in that context. I wouldn't worry about the quality of her jump. If she lands jumps, they would be the same jumps. I remember that she was severely injured before 2007 & 2008 world championships. Qualities were still there, but she looked exhausted during her free programs in both years. I guess her main concern is lacking physical stamina, but she still has time.

Sara

On the Ice
No not lying, I just think it is a minor injury, and her team wants her to do exactly what she did last year. If she skates GP not 100 percent, she might lose - that is bad for her image as WC. Also, like I said, it is 3 comps. she does not want to skate against. GP final will have 5 other excellent skaters. YuNa does lose, and that will tarnish WC. This is strategy for the games, in my gut. Others do it. Plush did it a lot. She was so comfy last year. YuNa wants the easiest way to get there. When she says she just wants to have fun...well, common..she wants a second gold medal.

I just hope S. Korea does not diss her if she gets less. Their expectations are likely exactly like 4 years ago, esp since the WCG.

I don't buy your theory. Do you really think she would not skate for 6 weeks just in order to mislead everyone? Haha.