Kim Yuna will not compete this GP season | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Kim Yuna will not compete this GP season

deedee1

Record Breaker
Going back to the topic. ;) My sincere wish to YuNa for her speedy, and most importantly a 'complete' recovery! :)

Preachy or not, I have to give Alex D his props.

In 2002 I signed up for Skate America because they had all the Olympic winners. :rock: Then Sarah Hughes withdrew (causing the event organizers to take down the posters all over town). Then Sale and Pelletier withdrew. Then Berezhnaya and Sikharudlidze withdrew. And Alexei Yagudin withdrew after the short program. To save the event the USFSA made Michelle Kwan "an offer she couldn't refuse" to ride in and save the day. (Michelle said afterward, quoting Michael Corleone, "Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in." Conspiracy theorists wonder whether part of the deal was that she would get an automatic place on the 2006 Olympic team even if she were injured. ;) )

So that was all well and good. But in the actual competition the show was stolen by rising teenagers Jennifer Kirk and Ann Patrice McDonough, who became the toast of the town (Spokane) and were all over the newspapers all week.

My next Skate America, in Atlantic City, I had a seat in the front row, right in the Lutz corner. Emily Hughes did a triple Lutz right at me. I feared for my life, the power she brought down the ice. This gave me a new and lasting appreciation as to what these athletes are really doing out there. You can't get that from television. I hadn't gone to the show just to see Emily skate, but to this day I am glad I did.

Stil, yeah, the big draws are the big draws.

Alex D

Record Breaker
I agree in the principle that it would be nice to support all skaters and are certainly open minded to seeing other skaters, but it is usually like stage 2 + beyond of loving and appreciate something.

There's always that 1 skater that open doors to whole realm of possibilities. To put it bluntly, if I buy an Album for one track and found the track is not there, then you can't be surprised I'd like a full refund. The execuse the clerk come up with to say I should support all the hard working musician out there and that I 'might' like other songs just wouldn't do it. :D

Hehe ya, I wouldn't buy an Album either if I didn't like something of that Band. I often bought music compilations, albums etc. because of 1 or 2 tracks and later found out, "hey, there is other cool stuff too" :D

Usually something triggers the interest in someone, for some it was Yuna just like it was Katharina Witt for me once. That is totally normal and how things work ^^

This gave me a new and lasting appreciation as to what these athletes are really doing out there. You can't get that from television.

I very much agree with this statement.

Preachy, aren't you?

Why should anybody take the time & effort & money to go to an event where the primary reason for them going is no longer there? I was planning to go to Fukuoka this December specifically to see Yuna compete live. Since she's not going to be there, I cancelled the trip since it costs money and time to go. Since I have a family with a small child who cannot be left at home alone, I'd have to take everyone with me and pay for lodging & food for 3-4 people. That's NOT cheap.

I never said a skater must be a OGM winner to entertain me (if it were so, I would've despised Michelle Kwan's skating and loved Tara Lipinski's), but there are so many skaters I do not find the cost of time, money and hassle (you try traveling w/ a non-potty trained toddler and tell me it's FUN) to be worth it.

So before judging others for being close-minded and not supporting other athletes, it may be worthwhile for you consider that other people do not share your perspective, circumstance and perception of value

I am not really sure what I have done to you, that gives you the enthusiasm to act like that. :confused: You seem very angry :p If you don't share my opinion that's cool, but then at least accept that I have one.

RABID

Final Flight
I didnt say you need to love every Skater, just that there are more to discover and how will someone know about other Skaters if he or she never checks them out?

Its like buying an Album and then not listening to it, but to only 1 track there ;)

When Laura or Susanna retired it was very sad for me, but should i now stop going to events?

If i would then it would show that i never liked the Sport but just 1 Person ;)

Really, people shall do what they want, i just left my opinion here ;) and tried to squeeze out that little bit more support for other Skaters as they deserve it :)

As they say, come in for the performance, stay for the meal. If I do get to see her perform at say the NRW I won't be leaving after her performance. I might even discover that I need and want to see more live events in the future and/or I might discover another skater I had previously skipped over. To get all "purist" about it seems counter productive in my humble opinion.

Alex D

Record Breaker
As they say, come in for the performance, stay for the meal. If I do get to see her perform at say the NRW I won't be leaving after her performance. I might even discover that I need and want to see more live events in the future and/or I might discover another skater I had previously skipped over. To get all "purist" about it seems counter productive in my humble opinion.

Have you not been to any Events yet so that it would be your first? If so, then I understand your reasons a lot better. But if you consider coming to NRW, do you live in Germany or close by? I am asking because if you live in Germany then I can recommend a few events to you, where you could experience figure skating live so that you know what to expect if you travel to a very expensive event with big stars.

RABID

Final Flight
Have you not been to any Events yet so that it would be your first? If so, then I understand your reasons a lot better. But if you consider coming to NRW, do you live in Germany or close by? I am asking because if you live in Germany then I can recommend a few events to you, where you could experience figure skating live so that you know what to expect if you travel to a very expensive event with big stars.

I live in Toronto so this would be it (and somehow I didn't make the mental connection that London Ontario was a two hour drive from where I live and I have been kicking myself ever since). And as the other commenters have said, it would require time, money and planning to get there. And like I said, I am not going to go there and then leave after having seen one skater and I doubt anyone else in my position would do so either. So many times I have heard people say, you don't get the full impact of her skating ability until you see her live and yet I think she is brilliant on TV. I hear you have to see Angelina Jolie live to understand just how beautiful she is and yet I think she is so beautiful on the big screen. How then can anyone not be curious when one hears statements like that? These are bizarre qualifying remarks. Usually the way it goes is, she doesn't look like anything special on TV or the big screen or the ice surface. But when someone does look great on the TV and someone else tries to tell me that the medium doesn't do the person justice... then damn right, I am going to want to jump through hoops to see this person.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Concerts get cancelled from time to time, too, due to the injury or illness of the artist(s).

but the ratio compared to that of a sporting event is much lower. and in most cases the concert is rescheduled so you aren't out time/money/whatever.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
There is no way in many cases where the primary symptom is PAIN, jus how bad it is. That is why pain patients all over are killing themselves due to the huge crackdown for years on narcotics-which help neuropathic/nerve related injury that nothing else touches.

So only the athlete and God know how bad the "injury" is. I think YuNa is likely injured but it isn't dreadful. There just is no reason for her to have to risk it or worsen it by doing GP events. We have seen this before with Michelle, Plushy and top skaters in Oly year or any year withdrawing from events to concentrate on training. The travel alone involved for YuNa would be detrimental. One can have an injury, and even one that actually shows up on a scan, but only the athlete and her team know how bad it is. I personally don't think that YuNa wants to compete the GPs and go to the final, even if she wins. Been there done that. Sochi is the goal, and all else is small potatoes. She showed last year how calm she can be. She proved when clean, she can still win by 20 points. Like I said before, the OGM is prqactically awarded like in 2010, barring SERIOUS injury for YuNa. Like 2010, it seems silver and bronze are open to maybe 4 skaters.

In skating, it seems injuries are often claimed when people don't want to do a GP assignment. It is just too much during Olympic season. If it were close, and the GP winner influenced the judges favorably, then push for it, but when no one can beat you, why bother? Just go for the OGM. Also, we never know how injured someone is. Look at Flatt and Csizny. So many others down play an injury for psychological competition. Others exaggerate to cover for a bad performance or to get out. Not saying this is YuNa or Korpi.

We, the audience often never know the real truth. Really only athlete can assess her body. I still am very disappointed as I love Yuna and Korpi-it is hard not to be mesmerized by such beauty. And they really can skate!

H4LfAd1ME

Spectator
I didnt say you need to love every Skater, just that there are more to discover and how will someone know about other Skaters if he or she never checks them out?

Its like buying an Album and then not listening to it, but to only 1 track there

When Laura or Susanna retired it was very sad for me, but should i now stop going to events?

If i would then it would show that i never liked the Sport but just 1 Person

Really, people shall do what they want, i just left my opinion here and tried to squeeze out that little bit more support for other Skaters as they deserve it

I have to agree with Nadia, Al.

While you may not condone what these fans are doing, there is no need to openly call them out and judge them--it's no different than being the bully at school heckling the other students on what YOU think is wrong. There is no written commandment saying you shan't buy tickets in hopes to see one competitor. It's the fans' money and it's what they want to do. Who're you to judge and preach to others what they're doing? You ain't God, honey. :) As long as it's not illegal, let it be.

I can see that as a big skating fan you want others to see others enjoy the sport as a whole and not just as one skater-centric fans, but the reality is that many people are going to watch a sport for one athlete. ;) ;) ;) ;)

Welcome to the forum, H4LfaAd1ME. Post often, post long! :yes:

But Alex D isn't a bully. He just wants everyone to like figure skating as much as he does. :)

chloepoco

Medalist

While you may not condone what these fans are doing, there is no need to openly call them out and judge them--it's no different than being the bully at school heckling the other students on what YOU think is wrong. There is no written commandment saying you shan't buy tickets in hopes to see one competitor. It's the fans' money and it's what they want to do. Who're you to judge and preach to others what they're doing? You ain't God, honey. :) As long as it's not illegal, let it be.

I can see that as a big skating fan you want others to see others enjoy the sport as a whole and not just as one skater-centric fans, but the reality is that many people are going to watch a sport for one athlete. ;) ;) ;) ;)

I don't see anything in Alex D's post where he/she is judging, preaching or calling anyone out.

H4LfAd1ME

Spectator
I don't see anything in Alex D's post where he/she is judging, preaching or calling anyone out.

Check out his/her other posts before in this thread. They seemed pretty judgmental/preachy to me.

but regardless, thanks for the welcome, Mathman!:biggrin:

Nadia01

Final Flight

Thanks for your note, but I must disagree with one thing.

I don't think that Alex was bullying me in any way. I didn't feel disrespected either. I just wanted to show him/her another side of fandom, that not all people who watch FS do so because they love the sport. They love ONE (or maybe two) athlete.

I personally love FS, and I think it's a beautiful and amazing sport. If I were to go to TEB or some GP event, I wouldn't leave after one skater (I want my money's worth!), but I also know that a lot of people just aren't interested in watching athletes they don't care for that much. I also know that I'd not buy gala tickets because I generally find them boring and too fluff-y for my taste. I don't even like many of Michelle, Yuna, Plushy, Yagudin, Shen/Zao's galas, even tho I adore them so much as skaters. I watch FS for athleticism, not some fun/funny dance moves. That's what SYTYCD is for (when I have the time to watch it).

RABID

Final Flight
Thanks for your note, but I must disagree with one thing.

I don't think that Alex was bullying me in any way. I didn't feel disrespected either. I just wanted to show him/her another side of fandom, that not all people who watch FS do so because they love the sport. They love ONE (or maybe two) athlete.

I personally love FS, and I think it's a beautiful and amazing sport. If I were to go to TEB or some GP event, I wouldn't leave after one skater (I want my money's worth!), but I also know that a lot of people just aren't interested in watching athletes they don't care for that much. I also know that I'd not buy gala tickets because I generally find them boring and too fluff-y for my taste. I don't even like many of Michelle, Yuna, Plushy, Yagudin, Shen/Zao's galas, even tho I adore them so much as skaters. I watch FS for athleticism, not some fun/funny dance moves. That's what SYTYCD is for (when I have the time to watch it).

That is a very tolerant statement by you and thank you for it. Personally, I feel like I have rediscovered figure skating due to Yu Na's presence in the ranks. And now that I have I figure I'll stick around and see the full growth of some "next" brilliant skater on her way to the top. But I have to admit, Yu Na's story is going to be hard to top. I think that is why a lot of her "ubers", as you say, are just people who are fascinated by her story. It's a kind of fairy tale that transcends the sport. A Korean princess who's a queen in a rivalry with nationalistic implications. I think I know what Scott Hamilton was getting at when he said, she's a diamond, it is like she is in a Hollywood movie with a great soundtrack always accompanying her. I am laughing at myself for such "uberness" but it's almost cliche and kind of hilarious her story, don't you think? The trials, the tribulations, the setbacks, the triumphs, the DRAMAS, and all without being all diva about it.
Anyway, I apologize, all. I promise from now on to restrain my "uberness":p

skateluvr

Record Breaker
The plan is to follow last year-senior B, Nationals, Sochi. She wil not lose to anyone, confidence/training every day, the let it loose at Olys. Sounds like a plan to me. I was right, minor injury. Oh, these craft skaters/coaches, LOL. BTW, one can simply complain of pain to team doctor and get out of competitions.-3 comps he did not want to do...this is FS....it happens all the time. The fly on the wall only knows. Well, I'm putting my money on her...where can I find a bookie?:laugh:

EricRohmer

On the Ice
From fan thread.

yuna at the Korean national team media day for 2014 Winter Olympic Games D-100

http://file.osen.co.kr/article/2013/10/30/201310301021774507_52705f36ccc62.jpg
http://cfile235.uf.daum.net/image/2511E03C527061002F8086
http://cfile212.uf.daum.net/image/213F1F355270634B15A9B7
http://cfile220.uf.daum.net/image/2545BE355270634B375AD6
http://cfile214.uf.daum.net/image/216F7C355270634C06219F
http://cfile233.uf.daum.net/image/243FC4365270634C0E9390
http://i2.media.daumcdn.net/svc/image/U03/news/201310/30/newsen/20131030103509207.jpg
http://i2.media.daumcdn.net/svc/image/U03/news/201310/30/edaily/20131030104007250.jpg

from her q and a

-she is recovering from her injury and she can do jump training now, including the triples. she also said that her condition is good but only about 70%.. because the pain is still there..

-she was asked about mao (as always) about her score in SA.. yuna said that she's not in the right position to comment and thinks that all skaters including mao are putting their best efforts

- again she said that her LP is intense compared to her sp.. and now she's getting used to it..

- she's considering competing in dec (b tournament)..