Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Kim Yuna will not compete this GP season

Wishing Yuna a speedy recovery.

Custom Title
    According to Korean media Yuna felt pain in her right foot, beginning from mid-August and saw a doctor when it worsened in September. The cause of the injury is accumulated fatigue due to intensive training. Just what I thought might be the reason :( She seems to be a perfectionist training a bit too hard.. I guess she wanted to debute her new programs in GP perfectly. Well, it's better to have this injury now than in January (trying to stay positive..). Maybe this small break from hard training will do good for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuan View Post
    This news killed my day
    I already bought my tickets for TEB...

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/full...10900315F.html

Yuna, get well soon.
    Sorry Kuan. I can understand the disappointment. I am also looking forward to her GP season competitions.

On a brighter note, the injury doesn't sound that bad that she couldn't recover fast. I am sure Yuna will heal on time for Olympics. Yes, get well soon, Yuna.

I was going to buy tickets this very evening for the Trophy Bombard and tried the other day. Good thing I came to this site first. On the other hand I have never seen her skate live and I was determined I would do it this season. Drats!!!! I guess there is no chance now and certainly I don't see me getting any tickets to Sochi, sigh... I think a few months back Yuna said that she thought that if she trained hard and long enough she could go clean. Do you think perhaps she has been pushing her body too much? Cripes! I am so pissed off.

Quote Originally Posted by RABID View Post
    I was going to buy tickets this very evening for the Trophy Bombard and tried the other day. Good thing I came to this site first. On the other hand I have never seen her skate live and I was determined I would do it this season. Drats!!!! I guess there is no chance now and certainly I don't see me getting any tickets to Sochi, sigh... I think a few months back Yuna said that she thought that if she trained hard and long enough she could go clean. Do you think perhaps she has been pushing her body too much? Cripes! I am so pissed off.
    The injured foot is her landing foot and toe-picking foot for Lutz/Flip, so it could be due to over training those jumps and triple-triples. Given that the solo 3Lz, the 3Lz+3T and the 3F are her "money" jumps, they probably get the most attempts in training, but those jumps really stress the foot she just injured.

In retrospect it now seems really smart for her to have begun her comeback last season, not only to grab the 3 spots and re-establish her reputation, but to guard against a set-back like this. Had she come back only this season and ramped up training very rapidly and intensely, she might have suffered the same injury (or worse) but without having competed at all in the prior season.

As long as she recovers within the expected time, she still has time to train and prepare for competitions later in the season, particularly Sochi. This may mean another Senior B or two, and Korean Nationals. 4CC is also possible but being so close to the Olympics, it's still unlikely.

Custom Title
    without Yuna in GP, Skate Canada will be for Suzuki or Gold.. and Bompard for Wagner!
    there are 2 spots in SC an TEB.. Yuna and Korpi had the same events! I hope see Miki Ando there!

Very unfortunate news for Yuna. I wish her a full recovery. Best wishes too for Kiira to have a successful rehab (she won't need surgery this time).

Columnist
    Do some of you really only buy Tickets if Yuna is there? What about the other skaters? You dont care about the other programs?

I find that a bit sad, they all give their best and deserve your support. :(

I don't think Yuna was ever that keen on competing in the Grand Prix again. Now she can do a repeat of last year without people giving her flack about being too lazy or arrogant to compete. Plus that opens up two spots for other skaters whom I'm sure will be estatic to receive them. Not that I doubt that she's really injured, and it's good that they're being cautious. I've actually broken a metatarsal before and skating on it was definitely challenging even after a couple months. I really was looking forward to seeing her programs though.

Custom Title
    Bompard DOES seem like Wagner's to lose.

The foot injury hopefully does not sound too serious. Rather, she is being prudent.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jennyanydots View Post
    I don't think Yuna was ever that keen on competing in the Grand Prix again. Now she can do a repeat of last year without people giving her flack about being too lazy or arrogant to compete. Plus that opens up two spots for other skaters whom I'm sure will be estatic to receive them. Not that I doubt that she's really injured, and it's good that they're being cautious. I've actually broken a metatarsal before and skating on it was definitely challenging even after a couple months. I really was looking forward to seeing her programs though.
    I think she has to submit medical report to ISU. No?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmos View Post
    I think she has to submit medical report to ISU. No?
    Yes. I believe her federation took care of that when they notified ISU.

It's disappointing she can't participate in Grand Prix events, but I appreciate her for making it official early and giving the substitute participants enough time for preparation.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex D View Post
    Do some of you really only buy Tickets if Yuna is there? What about the other skaters? You dont care about the other programs?

I find that a bit sad, they all give their best and deserve your support. :(
    Going to any sporting event is an expensive endeavor. There's the cost of the tickets, of course, and you have to pay for transportation, and lodging & food if you're out of town.

Why should anybody have to go to an event featuring skaters they are content to watch on TV v. a skater they really really want to see live in person? It's their money and time, so they're entitled to spend it in any way they choose without you judging them, no?

Quote Originally Posted by lcd View Post
    Bompard DOES seem like Wagner's to lose.

The foot injury hopefully does not sound too serious. Rather, she is being prudent.
    I agree with the assessment. There's no point in pushing it and making it worse before Sochi.

Also I think it's nice of her to WD so early so that substitutes can get and get some Sr. GP experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    The injured foot is her landing foot and toe-picking foot for Lutz/Flip, so it could be due to over training those jumps and triple-triples. Given that the solo 3Lz, the 3Lz+3T and the 3F are her "money" jumps, they probably get the most attempts in training, but those jumps really stress the foot she just injured.

In retrospect it now seems really smart for her to have begun her comeback last season, not only to grab the 3 spots and re-establish her reputation, but to guard against a set-back like this. Had she come back only this season and ramped up training very rapidly and intensely, she might have suffered the same injury (or worse) but without having competed at all in the prior season.

As long as she recovers within the expected time, she still has time to train and prepare for competitions later in the season, particularly Sochi. This may mean another Senior B or two, and Korean Nationals. 4CC is also possible but being so close to the Olympics, it's still unlikely.
    That is definitely a silver lining to this setback. It didn't occur to me but you are right about how and when she came back which begs the question, how long is too long? Still, as it all stands now this could be eerily reminiscent of this past worlds competition.
    So will this mean she will once again find her self back in the pack for her short program? That worked out good and bad for her. Oh well, more Olympic drama does at least make for good television (as well as ulcers).

That is definitely a silver lining to this setback. It didn't occur to me but you are right about how and when she came back which begs the question, how long is too long? Still, as it all stands now this could be eerily reminiscent of this past worlds competition.
    So will this mean she will once again find her self back in the pack for her short program? That worked out good and bad for her. Oh well, more Olympic drama does at least make for good television (as well as ulcers).
    No, I don't think she'll find herself in the same disadvantage in the SP as last season. She's coming into to Sochi as the reigning Olympic and World champion, and I'm pretty sure every judge has seen the results of 2013 Worlds.

And you may yet still get to watch her live. She may do another Senior B later this year, which are mostly in Europe. I figured if you could make it to TEB, then a Senior B in Europe would be doable, too? (And probably cheaper than Paris!).

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast