Kim Yuna will not compete this GP season | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Kim Yuna will not compete this GP season

thinspread

On the Ice
With skating it's a crapshoot as to who will really show up from the original roster. Planning on going to see just ONE skater is a bad financial decision. It's not a rock concert where the artist WILL show up AS ADVERTISED. Illness, injury, retirement, whatever happens.

Oh, come on. Let's not exaggerate or simplify. No skating fan will go to see just ONE skater, in literal sense. Besides, I would myself consider taking days off and planning an air trip to see YuNa Kim skate in her final competitive season, if I could. If she withdraw, I would cancel the trip and watch the event on TV. No big deal.

Moment

Final Flight
Some Yuna fans did buy the whole thing just for HER skates and everything else was a tiny bonus, thus canceling it accordingly.

Others, especially those who were planning for TEB, didn't cancel the whole trip. Instead they will be enjoying the visit to Paris and watch other events too.

I as a selfish fan hope Yuna competes in the 4CCs so I can watch her, the men's event and ice dance. I just can't afford to go to the Olys whatsoever.

Alex D

Record Breaker
Going to any sporting event is an expensive endeavor. There's the cost of the tickets, of course, and you have to pay for transportation, and lodging & food if you're out of town.

Why should anybody have to go to an event featuring skaters they are content to watch on TV v. a skater they really really want to see live in person? It's their money and time, so they're entitled to spend it in any way they choose without you judging them, no?

I do go to figure skating events quite often, I saw so many skaters retire at the day of the event - it happens a lot and if you only go for 1 single skater, then you will run into the situation that you paid lets say 1k and will go home disappointed as your Skater didnt skate.

Another point is, even though not every Skater has such a high difficulty in her elements as Yuna does, there are many great personalities for you to disocver if you just let it happen and give them a chance. A good figure skater that entertains you, doesnt need to be a gold medalist of the Olympics, I have quite a lot Skaters that I love to watch who never won any medals! So open up your mind for other athlets too, you will find a lot more joy and fun in that sport then. ;)

chloepoco

Medalist
I do go to figure skating events quite often, I saw so many skaters retire at the day of the event - it happens a lot and if you only go for 1 single skater, then you will run into the situation that you paid lets say 1k and will go home disappointed as your Skater didnt skate.

Another point is, even though not every Skater has such a high difficulty in her elements as Yuna does, there are many great personalities for you to disocver if you just let it happen and give them a chance. A good figure skater that entertains you, doesnt need to be a gold medalist of the Olympics, I have quite a lot Skaters that I love to watch who never won any medals! So open up your mind for other athlets too, you will find a lot more joy and fun in that sport then. ;)

Amen to that!

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker

I do see your point, however it is a free market economy, people buy things for all sort of reasons, who's to judge what is the right or wrong with their purchase and for whatever reasons? Paying customers are not donating to charities. They are good paying customers not youtube freeloaders, so of course they have certain expectations.

I have personally bought CDs for that one track, travel to Paris for that one painting, went to movies for that one script writer, traveled afar to taste that one dish, one wine, so I don't see how is it any different than to travel to see one skater. Since when does love movies means i have to try every single movie just because one get very picky about what one can see since there are so little time in today's busy lives.

thinspread

On the Ice

Preach time! lol

How is one supposed to open up his mind? By self-hypnotizing and telling oneself, 'oh boy, this is nice, and that's great too!'?? To each, own taste, own preference, own priority.

And how can one define 'joy and fun' a fan can find in a certain sport, with a vague blanket statement like that?

Finnstep

Final Flight
Hicks and Lacoste took the Korpi places... NATALIA POPOVA replaces YUNA

Actually, it's Popova who replaced Korpi, not Hicks and Lacoste.

Hicks and Lacoste were assigned to SC and TEB only after Yu-Na officially withdrew from SC/TEB, unlike Popova, who was already on the entry list for SC/TEB at the time.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Really a bummer for us. I guess she is really injured, but maybe her team looked at this year and said...hm, YuNa did BETTER with a little senior B to qualify, skated well, like at her Nationals and did two clean at Worlds. Maybe this is best formula for YuNa to win gold in Sochi..she is not skating to win GP events. Second OGM is the reason she came back. Not so a couple little no body skaters can skate. She wants history, and after Worlds LP, everyone knows she can do it. Just keep her calm and in perfect shape for Feb. I know I am skeptical-everyone is always injured. I feel as bad about Korpi-worse as she really needs those events. Two stunning world class ladies out. Too bad for us!!!!

Nadia01

Final Flight
With skating it's a crapshoot as to who will really show up from the original roster. Planning on going to see just ONE skater is a bad financial decision. It's not a rock concert where the artist WILL show up AS ADVERTISED. Illness, injury, retirement, whatever happens.

True.

But there are many Yuna fans who feel that this is their last chance to see her compete, which is why they've already bought tickets just to see Yuna skate competitively before she retires. It is much cheaper to buy a ticket to a local event than to one for Sochi or one of her shows in Korea. It is a gamble, and it didn't work out for them this time. But that doesn't mean fans buying tickets to events just to see one or two skaters is something to condemn.

Krislite

Medalist

Concerts get cancelled from time to time, too, due to the injury or illness of the artist(s).

cosmos

On the Ice
Really a bummer for us. I guess she is really injured, but maybe her team looked at this year and said...hm, YuNa did BETTER with a little senior B to qualify, skated well, like at her Nationals and did two clean at Worlds. Maybe this is best formula for YuNa to win gold in Sochi..she is not skating to win GP events. Second OGM is the reason she came back. Not so a couple little no body skaters can skate. She wants history, and after Worlds LP, everyone knows she can do it. Just keep her calm and in perfect shape for Feb. I know I am skeptical-everyone is always injured. I feel as bad about Korpi-worse as she really needs those events. Two stunning world class ladies out. Too bad for us!!!!

YuNa can't forge medical record, which she sent to ISU, and her doctor explained her injury on TV.
YuNa's chance of winning at Sichi is not diminished by competing at GP events, so why would she pretend to be injured?

Alex D

Record Breaker
I do see your point, however it is a free market economy, people buy things for all sort of reasons, who's to judge what is the right or wrong with their purchase and for whatever reasons? Paying customers are not donating to charities. They are good paying customers not youtube freeloaders, so of course they have certain expectations.

I have personally bought CDs for that one track, travel to Paris for that one painting, went to movies for that one script writer, traveled afar to taste that one dish, one wine, so I don't see how is it any different than to travel to see one skater. Since when does love movies means i have to try every single movie just because one get very picky about what one can see since there are so little time in today's busy lives.

I didnt say you need to love every Skater, just that there are more to discover and how will someone know about other Skaters if he or she never checks them out?

Its like buying an Album and then not listening to it, but to only 1 track there ;)

When Laura or Susanna retired it was very sad for me, but should i now stop going to events?

If i would then it would show that i never liked the Sport but just 1 Person ;)

Really, people shall do what they want, i just left my opinion here ;) and tried to squeeze out that little bit more support for other Skaters as they deserve it :)

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I didnt say you need to love every Skater, just that there are more to discover and how will someone know about other Skaters if he or she never checks them out?

Its like buying an Album and then not listening to it, but to only 1 track there ;)

When Laura or Susanna retired it was very sad for me, but should i now stop going to events?

If i would then it would show that i never liked the Sport but just 1 Person ;)

Really, people shall do what they want, i just left my opinion here ;) and tried to squeeze out that little bit more support for other Skaters as they deserve it :)

I agree in the principle that it would be nice to support all skaters and are certainly open minded to seeing other skaters, but it is usually like stage 2 + beyond of loving and appreciate something.

There's always that 1 skater that open doors to whole realm of possibilities. To put it bluntly, if I buy an Album for one track and found the track is not there, then you can't be surprised I'd like a full refund. The execuse the clerk come up with to say I should support all the hard working musician out there and that I 'might' like other songs just wouldn't do it. :D

EricRohmer

On the Ice
:slink: at overreacting you Alex D.

(I wish that Korea had a local event such as SA, NHK, COC, Finlandia, NRW etc.
The less opportunities to get object(skater, music single track, whatever), the more desires focused on The One object.)

Nadia01

Final Flight

Preachy, aren't you?

Why should anybody take the time & effort & money to go to an event where the primary reason for them going is no longer there? I was planning to go to Fukuoka this December specifically to see Yuna compete live. Since she's not going to be there, I cancelled the trip since it costs money and time to go. Since I have a family with a small child who cannot be left at home alone, I'd have to take everyone with me and pay for lodging & food for 3-4 people. That's NOT cheap.

I never said a skater must be a OGM winner to entertain me (if it were so, I would've despised Michelle Kwan's skating and loved Tara Lipinski's), but there are so many skaters I do not find the cost of time, money and hassle (you try traveling w/ a non-potty trained toddler and tell me it's FUN) to be worth it.

So before judging others for being close-minded and not supporting other athletes, it may be worthwhile for you consider that other people do not share your perspective, circumstance and perception of value.