Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Kim Yuna will not compete this GP season

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    Really a bummer for us. I guess she is really injured, but maybe her team looked at this year and said...hm, YuNa did BETTER with a little senior B to qualify, skated well, like at her Nationals and did two clean at Worlds. Maybe this is best formula for YuNa to win gold in Sochi..she is not skating to win GP events. Second OGM is the reason she came back. Not so a couple little no body skaters can skate. She wants history, and after Worlds LP, everyone knows she can do it. Just keep her calm and in perfect shape for Feb. I know I am skeptical-everyone is always injured. I feel as bad about Korpi-worse as she really needs those events. Two stunning world class ladies out. Too bad for us!!!!
    YuNa can't forge medical record, which she sent to ISU, and her doctor explained her injury on TV.
    YuNa's chance of winning at Sichi is not diminished by competing at GP events, so why would she pretend to be injured?

Columnist
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    I do see your point, however it is a free market economy, people buy things for all sort of reasons, who's to judge what is the right or wrong with their purchase and for whatever reasons? Paying customers are not donating to charities. They are good paying customers not youtube freeloaders, so of course they have certain expectations.

I have personally bought CDs for that one track, travel to Paris for that one painting, went to movies for that one script writer, traveled afar to taste that one dish, one wine, so I don't see how is it any different than to travel to see one skater. Since when does love movies means i have to try every single movie just because one get very picky about what one can see since there are so little time in today's busy lives.
    I didnt say you need to love every Skater, just that there are more to discover and how will someone know about other Skaters if he or she never checks them out?

Its like buying an Album and then not listening to it, but to only 1 track there

When Laura or Susanna retired it was very sad for me, but should i now stop going to events?

If i would then it would show that i never liked the Sport but just 1 Person

Really, people shall do what they want, i just left my opinion here and tried to squeeze out that little bit more support for other Skaters as they deserve it

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex D View Post
    I didnt say you need to love every Skater, just that there are more to discover and how will someone know about other Skaters if he or she never checks them out?

Its like buying an Album and then not listening to it, but to only 1 track there

When Laura or Susanna retired it was very sad for me, but should i now stop going to events?

Really, people shall do what they want, i just left my opinion here and tried to squeeze out that little bit more support for other Skaters as they deserve it
    I agree in the principle that it would be nice to support all skaters and are certainly open minded to seeing other skaters, but it is usually like stage 2 + beyond of loving and appreciate something.

There's always that 1 skater that open doors to whole realm of possibilities. To put it bluntly, if I buy an Album for one track and found the track is not there, then you can't be surprised I'd like a full refund. The execuse the clerk come up with to say I should support all the hard working musician out there and that I 'might' like other songs just wouldn't do it. :D

at overreacting you Alex D.

(I wish that Korea had a local event such as SA, NHK, COC, Finlandia, NRW etc.
    The less opportunities to get object(skater, music single track, whatever), the more desires focused on The One object.)

I do go to figure skating events quite often, I saw so many skaters retire at the day of the event - it happens a lot and if you only go for 1 single skater, then you will run into the situation that you paid lets say 1k and will go home disappointed as your Skater didnt skate.

Another point is, even though not every Skater has such a high difficulty in her elements as Yuna does, there are many great personalities for you to disocver if you just let it happen and give them a chance. A good figure skater that entertains you, doesnt need to be a gold medalist of the Olympics, I have quite a lot Skaters that I love to watch who never won any medals! So open up your mind for other athlets too, you will find a lot more joy and fun in that sport then.
    Preachy, aren't you?

Why should anybody take the time & effort & money to go to an event where the primary reason for them going is no longer there? I was planning to go to Fukuoka this December specifically to see Yuna compete live. Since she's not going to be there, I cancelled the trip since it costs money and time to go. Since I have a family with a small child who cannot be left at home alone, I'd have to take everyone with me and pay for lodging & food for 3-4 people. That's NOT cheap.

I never said a skater must be a OGM winner to entertain me (if it were so, I would've despised Michelle Kwan's skating and loved Tara Lipinski's), but there are so many skaters I do not find the cost of time, money and hassle (you try traveling w/ a non-potty trained toddler and tell me it's FUN) to be worth it.

So before judging others for being close-minded and not supporting other athletes, it may be worthwhile for you consider that other people do not share your perspective, circumstance and perception of value.

Custom Title
    Going back to the topic. My sincere wish to YuNa for her speedy, and most importantly a 'complete' recovery!

Quote Originally Posted by deedee1 View Post
    Going back to the topic. My sincere wish to YuNa for her speedy, and most importantly a 'complete' recovery!

Preachy or not, I have to give Alex D his props.

In 2002 I signed up for Skate America because they had all the Olympic winners. Then Sarah Hughes withdrew (causing the event organizers to take down the posters all over town). Then Sale and Pelletier withdrew. Then Berezhnaya and Sikharudlidze withdrew. And Alexei Yagudin withdrew after the short program. To save the event the USFSA made Michelle Kwan "an offer she couldn't refuse" to ride in and save the day. (Michelle said afterward, quoting Michael Corleone, "Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in." Conspiracy theorists wonder whether part of the deal was that she would get an automatic place on the 2006 Olympic team even if she were injured. )

So that was all well and good. But in the actual competition the show was stolen by rising teenagers Jennifer Kirk and Ann Patrice McDonough, who became the toast of the town (Spokane) and were all over the newspapers all week.

My next Skate America, in Atlantic City, I had a seat in the front row, right in the Lutz corner. Emily Hughes did a triple Lutz right at me. I feared for my life, the power she brought down the ice. This gave me a new and lasting appreciation as to what these athletes are really doing out there. You can't get that from television. I hadn't gone to the show just to see Emily skate, but to this day I am glad I did.

Stil, yeah, the big draws are the big draws.

Quote Originally Posted by YunaBliss View Post
    yeah.. who says Yuna fans have it easy? This is so frustrating...
    The Russian fans who have tickets to Sochi (assuming she doesn't withdraw from injury).

Columnist
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    I agree in the principle that it would be nice to support all skaters and are certainly open minded to seeing other skaters, but it is usually like stage 2 + beyond of loving and appreciate something.

There's always that 1 skater that open doors to whole realm of possibilities. To put it bluntly, if I buy an Album for one track and found the track is not there, then you can't be surprised I'd like a full refund. The execuse the clerk come up with to say I should support all the hard working musician out there and that I 'might' like other songs just wouldn't do it. :D
    Hehe ya, I wouldn't buy an Album either if I didn't like something of that Band. I often bought music compilations, albums etc. because of 1 or 2 tracks and later found out, "hey, there is other cool stuff too" :D

Usually something triggers the interest in someone, for some it was Yuna just like it was Katharina Witt for me once. That is totally normal and how things work ^^

This gave me a new and lasting appreciation as to what these athletes are really doing out there. You can't get that from television.
    I very much agree with this statement.

Preachy, aren't you?

Why should anybody take the time & effort & money to go to an event where the primary reason for them going is no longer there? I was planning to go to Fukuoka this December specifically to see Yuna compete live. Since she's not going to be there, I cancelled the trip since it costs money and time to go. Since I have a family with a small child who cannot be left at home alone, I'd have to take everyone with me and pay for lodging & food for 3-4 people. That's NOT cheap.

I never said a skater must be a OGM winner to entertain me (if it were so, I would've despised Michelle Kwan's skating and loved Tara Lipinski's), but there are so many skaters I do not find the cost of time, money and hassle (you try traveling w/ a non-potty trained toddler and tell me it's FUN) to be worth it.

So before judging others for being close-minded and not supporting other athletes, it may be worthwhile for you consider that other people do not share your perspective, circumstance and perception of value
    I am not really sure what I have done to you, that gives you the enthusiasm to act like that. You seem very angry If you don't share my opinion that's cool, but then at least accept that I have one.

As they say, come in for the performance, stay for the meal. If I do get to see her perform at say the NRW I won't be leaving after her performance. I might even discover that I need and want to see more live events in the future and/or I might discover another skater I had previously skipped over. To get all "purist" about it seems counter productive in my humble opinion.

Columnist
    Quote Originally Posted by RABID View Post
    As they say, come in for the performance, stay for the meal. If I do get to see her perform at say the NRW I won't be leaving after her performance. I might even discover that I need and want to see more live events in the future and/or I might discover another skater I had previously skipped over. To get all "purist" about it seems counter productive in my humble opinion.
    Have you not been to any Events yet so that it would be your first? If so, then I understand your reasons a lot better. But if you consider coming to NRW, do you live in Germany or close by? I am asking because if you live in Germany then I can recommend a few events to you, where you could experience figure skating live so that you know what to expect if you travel to a very expensive event with big stars.

Have you not been to any Events yet so that it would be your first? If so, then I understand your reasons a lot better. But if you consider coming to NRW, do you live in Germany or close by? I am asking because if you live in Germany then I can recommend a few events to you, where you could experience figure skating live so that you know what to expect if you travel to a very expensive event with big stars.
    I live in Toronto so this would be it (and somehow I didn't make the mental connection that London Ontario was a two hour drive from where I live and I have been kicking myself ever since). And as the other commenters have said, it would require time, money and planning to get there. And like I said, I am not going to go there and then leave after having seen one skater and I doubt anyone else in my position would do so either. So many times I have heard people say, you don't get the full impact of her skating ability until you see her live and yet I think she is brilliant on TV. I hear you have to see Angelina Jolie live to understand just how beautiful she is and yet I think she is so beautiful on the big screen. How then can anyone not be curious when one hears statements like that? These are bizarre qualifying remarks. Usually the way it goes is, she doesn't look like anything special on TV or the big screen or the ice surface. But when someone does look great on the TV and someone else tries to tell me that the medium doesn't do the person justice... then damn right, I am going to want to jump through hoops to see this person.

Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    Concerts get cancelled from time to time, too, due to the injury or illness of the artist(s).
    but the ratio compared to that of a sporting event is much lower. and in most cases the concert is rescheduled so you aren't out time/money/whatever.

There is no way in many cases where the primary symptom is PAIN, jus how bad it is. That is why pain patients all over are killing themselves due to the huge crackdown for years on narcotics-which help neuropathic/nerve related injury that nothing else touches.

So only the athlete and God know how bad the "injury" is. I think YuNa is likely injured but it isn't dreadful. There just is no reason for her to have to risk it or worsen it by doing GP events. We have seen this before with Michelle, Plushy and top skaters in Oly year or any year withdrawing from events to concentrate on training. The travel alone involved for YuNa would be detrimental. One can have an injury, and even one that actually shows up on a scan, but only the athlete and her team know how bad it is. I personally don't think that YuNa wants to compete the GPs and go to the final, even if she wins. Been there done that. Sochi is the goal, and all else is small potatoes. She showed last year how calm she can be. She proved when clean, she can still win by 20 points. Like I said before, the OGM is prqactically awarded like in 2010, barring SERIOUS injury for YuNa. Like 2010, it seems silver and bronze are open to maybe 4 skaters.

In skating, it seems injuries are often claimed when people don't want to do a GP assignment. It is just too much during Olympic season. If it were close, and the GP winner influenced the judges favorably, then push for it, but when no one can beat you, why bother? Just go for the OGM. Also, we never know how injured someone is. Look at Flatt and Csizny. So many others down play an injury for psychological competition. Others exaggerate to cover for a bad performance or to get out. Not saying this is YuNa or Korpi.

We, the audience often never know the real truth. Really only athlete can assess her body. I still am very disappointed as I love Yuna and Korpi-it is hard not to be mesmerized by such beauty. And they really can skate!

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast