Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Kim Yuna will not compete this GP season

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex D View Post
    I didnt say you need to love every Skater, just that there are more to discover and how will someone know about other Skaters if he or she never checks them out?

Its like buying an Album and then not listening to it, but to only 1 track there

When Laura or Susanna retired it was very sad for me, but should i now stop going to events?

If i would then it would show that i never liked the Sport but just 1 Person

Really, people shall do what they want, i just left my opinion here and tried to squeeze out that little bit more support for other Skaters as they deserve it
    I have to agree with Nadia, Al.

While you may not condone what these fans are doing, there is no need to openly call them out and judge them--it's no different than being the bully at school heckling the other students on what YOU think is wrong. There is no written commandment saying you shan't buy tickets in hopes to see one competitor. It's the fans' money and it's what they want to do. Who're you to judge and preach to others what they're doing? You ain't God, honey. As long as it's not illegal, let it be.

I can see that as a big skating fan you want others to see others enjoy the sport as a whole and not just as one skater-centric fans, but the reality is that many people are going to watch a sport for one athlete.

Welcome to the forum, H4LfaAd1ME. Post often, post long!

But Alex D isn't a bully. He just wants everyone to like figure skating as much as he does.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Welcome to the forum, H4LfaAd1ME. Post often, post long!

But Alex D isn't a bully. He just wants everyone to like figure skating as much as he does.
    I was never convinced was a "he"

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by H4LfAd1ME View Post

While you may not condone what these fans are doing, there is no need to openly call them out and judge them--it's no different than being the bully at school heckling the other students on what YOU think is wrong. There is no written commandment saying you shan't buy tickets in hopes to see one competitor. It's the fans' money and it's what they want to do. Who're you to judge and preach to others what they're doing? You ain't God, honey. As long as it's not illegal, let it be.

I can see that as a big skating fan you want others to see others enjoy the sport as a whole and not just as one skater-centric fans, but the reality is that many people are going to watch a sport for one athlete.
    I don't see anything in Alex D's post where he/she is judging, preaching or calling anyone out.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by chloepoco View Post
    I don't see anything in Alex D's post where he/she is judging, preaching or calling anyone out.
    Check out his/her other posts before in this thread. They seemed pretty judgmental/preachy to me.

but regardless, thanks for the welcome, Mathman!

Quote Originally Posted by H4LfAd1ME View Post

Thanks for your note, but I must disagree with one thing.

I don't think that Alex was bullying me in any way. I didn't feel disrespected either. I just wanted to show him/her another side of fandom, that not all people who watch FS do so because they love the sport. They love ONE (or maybe two) athlete.

I personally love FS, and I think it's a beautiful and amazing sport. If I were to go to TEB or some GP event, I wouldn't leave after one skater (I want my money's worth!), but I also know that a lot of people just aren't interested in watching athletes they don't care for that much. I also know that I'd not buy gala tickets because I generally find them boring and too fluff-y for my taste. I don't even like many of Michelle, Yuna, Plushy, Yagudin, Shen/Zao's galas, even tho I adore them so much as skaters. I watch FS for athleticism, not some fun/funny dance moves. That's what SYTYCD is for (when I have the time to watch it).

Quote Originally Posted by Nadia01 View Post
    Thanks for your note, but I must disagree with one thing.

I don't think that Alex was bullying me in any way. I didn't feel disrespected either. I just wanted to show him/her another side of fandom, that not all people who watch FS do so because they love the sport. They love ONE (or maybe two) athlete.

I personally love FS, and I think it's a beautiful and amazing sport. If I were to go to TEB or some GP event, I wouldn't leave after one skater (I want my money's worth!), but I also know that a lot of people just aren't interested in watching athletes they don't care for that much. I also know that I'd not buy gala tickets because I generally find them boring and too fluff-y for my taste. I don't even like many of Michelle, Yuna, Plushy, Yagudin, Shen/Zao's galas, even tho I adore them so much as skaters. I watch FS for athleticism, not some fun/funny dance moves. That's what SYTYCD is for (when I have the time to watch it).
    That is a very tolerant statement by you and thank you for it. Personally, I feel like I have rediscovered figure skating due to Yu Na's presence in the ranks. And now that I have I figure I'll stick around and see the full growth of some "next" brilliant skater on her way to the top. But I have to admit, Yu Na's story is going to be hard to top. I think that is why a lot of her "ubers", as you say, are just people who are fascinated by her story. It's a kind of fairy tale that transcends the sport. A Korean princess who's a queen in a rivalry with nationalistic implications. I think I know what Scott Hamilton was getting at when he said, she's a diamond, it is like she is in a Hollywood movie with a great soundtrack always accompanying her. I am laughing at myself for such "uberness" but it's almost cliche and kind of hilarious her story, don't you think? The trials, the tribulations, the setbacks, the triumphs, the DRAMAS, and all without being all diva about it.
    Anyway, I apologize, all. I promise from now on to restrain my "uberness"

From YNKF: Yuna is now recovered and practicing all her jumps. She appeared at a pre-Sochi event and made some remarks to the press:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=qtv5XVRzp_Y

To summarize, she says she's practicing all her jumps now but her stamina is not quite there yet. She has plans to skate at a B-competition in December (she didn't say which, so it could be NRW or Zagreb).

The plan is to follow last year-senior B, Nationals, Sochi. She wil not lose to anyone, confidence/training every day, the let it loose at Olys. Sounds like a plan to me. I was right, minor injury. Oh, these craft skaters/coaches, LOL. BTW, one can simply complain of pain to team doctor and get out of competitions.-3 comps he did not want to do...this is FS....it happens all the time. The fly on the wall only knows. Well, I'm putting my money on her...where can I find a bookie?

From fan thread.

Quote Originally Posted by cooper View Post
    yuna at the Korean national team media day for 2014 Winter Olympic Games D-100

http://file.osen.co.kr/article/2013/...05f36ccc62.jpg
    http://cfile235.uf.daum.net/image/25...527061002F8086
    http://cfile212.uf.daum.net/image/21...5270634B15A9B7
    http://cfile220.uf.daum.net/image/25...5270634B375AD6
    http://cfile214.uf.daum.net/image/21...5270634C06219F
    http://cfile233.uf.daum.net/image/24...5270634C0E9390
    http://i2.media.daumcdn.net/svc/imag...0103509207.jpg
    http://i2.media.daumcdn.net/svc/imag...0104007250.jpg

from her q and a

-she is recovering from her injury and she can do jump training now, including the triples. she also said that her condition is good but only about 70%.. because the pain is still there..

-she was asked about mao (as always) about her score in SA.. yuna said that she's not in the right position to comment and thinks that all skaters including mao are putting their best efforts

- again she said that her LP is intense compared to her sp.. and now she's getting used to it..

- she's considering competing in dec (b tournament)..

Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    The plan is to follow last year-senior B, Nationals, Sochi. She wil not lose to anyone, confidence/training every day, the let it loose at Olys. Sounds like a plan to me. I was right, minor injury. Oh, these craft skaters/coaches, LOL. BTW, one can simply complain of pain to team doctor and get out of competitions.-3 comps he did not want to do...this is FS....it happens all the time. The fly on the wall only knows. Well, I'm putting my money on her...where can I find a bookie?
    Do you honestly think she lied about her injury though? I mean I had my suspicions as well, but I think it was a smart move on her part. If I were her, I would've done the same thing. I wouldn't want to risk anything. It kinda scares me how her schedule this year strongly resembles her schedule last year

Quote Originally Posted by Peach View Post
    Do you honestly think she lied about her injury though? I mean I had my suspicions as well, but I think it was a smart move on her part. If I were her, I would've done the same thing. I wouldn't want to risk anything. It kinda scares me how her schedule this year strongly resembles her schedule last year
    What's so "scary" about that? Her schedule is fine--a couple of minor competitions to test her programs and that's all she really needs for Sochi. She's already "tested" herself at a big-pressure event recently at Worlds just seven months ago.

Thank you to cooper and Krislite for sharing!

Another tidbit I caught: She said because this is her second Olympics, she will try her best, but her primary goal is to enjoy herself this time? (Please correct me if I'm wrong; my Korean is not too strong)

Poor girl, I bet with these questions they are reminding her of the pressure and expectations. Cutest tap on the mic-check.

I love this pic, from cooper's list:
    http://cfile233.uf.daum.net/image/24...5270634C0E9390

Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    What's so "scary" about that? Her schedule is fine--a couple of minor competitions to test her programs and that's all she really needs for Sochi. She's already "tested" herself at a big-pressure event recently at Worlds just seven months ago.
    OK maybe I used the wrong word... I just thought it was interesting. It obviously wasn't her intention to skip the GP series. Because of her injury, she now has to repeat what she did last year. She's probably going to compete at NRW again. Anyway I didn't mean it in a bad way whatsoever .

Quote Originally Posted by Peach View Post
    I just thought it was interesting. It obviously wasn't her intention to skip the GP series. Because of her injury, she now has to repeat what she did last year.
    I too got your post exactly in this way.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast