Kim Yuna will not compete this GP season | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Kim Yuna will not compete this GP season

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't buy your theory. Do you really think she would not skate for 6 weeks just in order to mislead everyone? Haha.

I try very hard not to think someone is lying when it comes to any medical condition, even when I see them face to face. I know a lot of people online suffer from injury, illness, chronic medical problems, etc and share that with the world and want folks to not question their intent. I wish we could do that more for the athletes. Give them the benefit of the doubt.

Hopefully this setback for Yuna is a minor one in the grand scheme of things.

RABID

Final Flight
From YNKF: Yuna is now recovered and practicing all her jumps. She appeared at a pre-Sochi event and made some remarks to the press:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qtv5XVRzp_Y

To summarize, she says she's practicing all her jumps now but her stamina is not quite there yet. She has plans to skate at a B-competition in December (she didn't say which, so it could be NRW or Zagreb).

Thank you, Krislite. I am betting NRW; a better than even chance, I think. December in Germany, hmmm.

thinspread

On the Ice
No not lying, I just think it is a minor injury, and her team wants her to do exactly what she did last year. If she skates GP not 100 percent, she might lose - that is bad for her image as WC. Also, like I said, it is 3 comps. she does not want to skate against. GP final will have 5 other excellent skaters. YuNa does lose, and that will tarnish WC. This is strategy for the games, in my gut. Others do it. Plush did it a lot. She was so comfy last year. YuNa wants the easiest way to get there. When she says she just wants to have fun...well, common..she wants a second gold medal.

I just hope S. Korea does not diss her if she gets less. Their expectations are likely exactly like 4 years ago, esp since the WCG.

Of course her team would want to avoid not only the risk of aggravating the injury but the risk of a sub-par performance as well, when she force herself into a competition in pain.

When the news of the injury broke, her team said they had contemplated on the possibility of skipping the first GP and making the second, even though it would have meant no GPF for her anyway, but ultimately decided to skip the whole series to allow enough time to heal. I think it was a sensible choice.

Yes, the injury seems minor. It was a bruise on the outer tissue of the bone, short of a hairline fracture, as the doctor confirmed. But the PAIN was severe enough to force her to stop practicing jumps altogether for a while. She could have entered TEB if she had pushed herself, but I don't think she was faking the injury as your earlier post implied. I don't doubt she planned to participate in GPs.

EricRohmer

On the Ice
In Olympic season, there would not be things as less recommendable as skipping GPs, being advertised 'I am injured'.
And skateluvr, I think that you think too much. :)

cooper

Medalist
how am i surprise some are questioning her injury.. like some are there and know what happened behind the scenes.. while hiding in your computer..i mean seriously??

whether her injury is minor or not.. they are trying to avoid the risk.. you can't even predict the future.. you can't even predict that yuna will skate perfectly in sochi even if she skates in the gp series.. you can't even predict that she won't win..we don't know.. you never know if it's going to be a splatfest.. you never know.. 2010-11 season she did not compete in the gp series.. so did she do it because she was avoiding the competition?? :laugh: and it did not even work for her!

last year she again did not compete in the gp series.. this time it worked for her.. you just never know.. and to say it's an easy ride for her?? how do you know that? have you seen her practice? how she works her butt off on the ice?? yeah.. she's not competing in the gp series facing some tough competition.. but it's not even a guarantee that she will be winning the ogm in sochi anyway! because ice is slippery.. the pressure is far more bigger..ordinary fans are watching.. it's not the same event like in GP series that your fed can do politicking.. etc..

and yes.. there are expectations by the korean media, fans, etc.. but it's not as severe compared to 2010.. she has the OGM already and 2 world titles.. everything is just a bonus..

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I never said she faked her injury. Injuries are so common, look at the withdrawals from the GP skates because they count heavily in judges mind. But do not be naïve. No one can tell me she is dying to compete in two GPs and the final then Korean Nationals. It is grueling. We have seen skater/teams manipulate the system for years. She is doing a senior B-no stress no competition. Korean Nationals, no stress no competition. It worked great last year. YuNa has a rep to uphold. She is not skating for bronze. I don't know the truth but I trusted my gut. Who is to say she didn't need rest. They absolutely do not put her out there now unless she is 100% and happy and ready.Doctors will say you are in pain-YuNa and top athletes have their private docs, team docs. You can believe what you want and so can I. And it doesn't affect YuNa one hoot if others think she's a bit under the weather. They know she will not sho up to compete now unless she is 100%. If she was truly seriously injured, you'd see her withdraw rather than skate badly and mess up her brand. Expect her in top shaper-or not at all. This is not 2010.

gourry

Final Flight
It's kind of funny how things changed in just one year. Last year majority of people here said that Yuna not attending 4cc before the Worlds was a bad idea and basically ignored her two other competitions-no stress, no competition, thus nothing. And suddenly now it is a winning combination? Very funny. Some people just seem to have forgotten the fact that Yuna was badly low balled in the SP.

Yuna's injury remained minor because she took all the necessary precautions and took time off to let it heal. Very smart move in my opinion.
If I remember correctly, during 2006-2007 season, Yuna had boot problems, and it led to ankle injury, and that ankle injury led to knee injury, and it led to hip injury, and eventually she ended up with serious back injury. In 2007-2008 season, she ignored the pain in her hip and kept practicing, and ended up with much bigger problem around 4cc then had to withdraw. Thus she learned not to ignore minor injuries. She knows by first hand experience that if you don't deal with the minor injury, it can end up as something much more serious. It's just simple learning by doing or trial and error.
It's just smart, experienced move, not necessarily crafty one.

Anyway I'm just glad that she is getting better and getting back to the track!:D

Peach

Rinkside
When she says she just wants to have fun...well, common..she wants a second gold medal. I just hope S. Korea does not diss her if she gets less. Their expectations are likely exactly like 4 years ago, esp since the WCG.
Yeah I guess you are right. It's probably better for her image as well especially after winning the gold medal at WC2013. She shouldn't take any risks anyway. At least not now. Also, I think a lot of Koreans will bash her if she doesn't get a gold medal, but it won't be that bad. I'm sure people will still support her since she is an olympic champion regardless of her result next year

bara1968

On the Ice
No not lying, I just think it is a minor injury, and her team wants her to do exactly what she did last year. If she skates GP not 100 percent, she might lose - that is bad for her image as WC. Also, like I said, it is 3 comps. she does not want to skate against. GP final will have 5 other excellent skaters. YuNa does lose, and that will tarnish WC. This is strategy for the games, in my gut. Others do it. Plush did it a lot. She was so comfy last year. YuNa wants the easiest way to get there. When she says she just wants to have fun...well, common..she wants a second gold medal.

I just hope S. Korea does not diss her if she gets less. Their expectations are likely exactly like 4 years ago, esp since the WCG.

??? I honestly think that Yuna's chance to lose to any of those girls out there is converging to 0 at this point. She does not need to be 100% to beat them in GP. Her show-up in last year's NRW (she referred that her physical condition was about 70%) is good enough to win her GP assignments this year. Even with much worse injuries before, she won most of GP series including GPFs, without being famous Yuna Kim back then.

Indeed she wanted to fully compete in GP from if I remember correctly, right after WC 2013, since she knew that it is important to build up the momentum or whatsoever before Sochi.

What happened to her and what is happening to her is very simple; she just got injured -> Doctor said she could not jump before SC -> withdraw. No need to speculate on any sort of team-tactic.

After all, it's not as if she's pretending to be the greatest skater around today. She is the greatest of her time. She has already established that. She's not unbeatable, but she's pretty close to it. She proved that in Vancouver and then, in case we had forgotten, she proved it again by coming back after a few years away from competition and winning Worlds decisively. So whatever she feels she needs to do in order to be in peak condition for this year's Olympics is fine with me.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If she doesn't win the gold medal, the Koreans won't bash her. They'll just say she was robbed. Remember the fans' outrage over the edge call on her flip at Worlds?

jaylee

Medalist
If she doesn't win the gold medal, the Koreans won't bash her. They'll just say she was robbed. Remember the fans' outrage over the edge call on her flip at Worlds?

Who are you to say how "the Koreans" will react? Not all of the fans who were outraged about the flip call were Korean. (British Eurosport's comments on Yu-Na's SP score and flip call were most interesting, btw.)

Not that that matters to someone willing to make gross generalizations about an entire ethnic population's reaction to an event that hasn't happened yet.

cooper

Medalist
here we go again with the generalization.. as if the so called "yuna fans" are only koreans.. :sarcasm:

Krislite

Medalist
Those who keep saying that Yuna wants the easiest route to a second Olympic gold seem to forget last season. Why would she bother going to Worlds then? She could have come back at the last minute like most comeback attempts and not even bother with the season before the Olympics at all. Even Shen/Zhao succeeded this way.

If there was anything that could have put her reputation at risk it was a poor showing at Worlds, not the Grand Prix this season. The easiest route would have been to go for a quick and short comeback starting this season. Not the smartest, but certainly easier, requiring less effort by comparison.

cooper

Medalist
Those who keep saying that Yuna wants the easiest route to a second Olympic gold seem to forget last season. Why would she bother going to Worlds then? She could have come back at the last minute like most comeback attempts and not even bother with the season before the Olympics at all. Even Shen/Zhao succeeded this way.

If there was anything that could have put her reputation at risk it was a poor showing at Worlds, not the Grand Prix this season.
The easiest route would have been to go for a quick and short comeback starting this season. Not the smartest, but certainly easier, requiring less effort by comparison.

word.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Who are you to say how "the Koreans" will react? Not all of the fans who were outraged about the flip call were Korean. (British Eurosport's comments on Yu-Na's SP score and flip call were most interesting, btw.)

Not that that matters to someone willing to make gross generalizations about an entire ethnic population's reaction to an event that hasn't happened yet.

What about the people who said the South Koreans would bash her if she didn't win? Of course I meant her South Korean fans (as did they). And did I say it was only Korean fans who were outraged by the flip call? No.

thinspread

On the Ice
What about the people who said the South Koreans would bash her if she didn't win? Of course I meant her South Korean fans (as did they). And did I say it was only Korean fans who were outraged by the flip call? No.

I don't think Koreans would bash her for not winning at Sochi. They didn't criticize her for not winning 2008 WC or 2011 WC, either.

She seems to have a big chunk of the burden lifted when she won 2010 OGM. She definitely looks more experienced, relaxed and lighthearted this season, compared to her first Olympic season.

If there was anything that could have put her reputation at risk it was a poor showing at Worlds, not the Grand Prix this season. The easiest route would have been to go for a quick and short comeback starting this season. Not the smartest, but certainly easier, requiring less effort by comparison.

Exactly.