Philip Hersh Journalist? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Philip Hersh Journalist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Phil Hersh is more of a sensationalist and you can't call it journalism when you based it in your own views
never mind that he's a joke and nobody takes him seriously

I hope he's reading this thread :biggrin:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Every now and again I ask myself a very deep, philosophical question:

Who is more annoying? The V/M-D/W ubers, or the Maobots vs Yuna fans?

It seems to swing about...

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker

It seems to swing about...

Oh yes, the very deep and philosophical GS thinker.
I have news for you, it is actually not a hard question. Yuna fans clearly wins in everything. :laugh:

Whenever someone can't win an argument, they immediately point their finger to the other goes, oh but you are a Yuna fan! (even when they are not)
Whenever someone want to feel self righteous and lacks things to say, they go Oohhhh those crazy Yuna fan annoys me.
Yuna fans are the biggest accused, the guilty before trial, the straw man on these board without even having to do anything.
Now many of the press joined in during the Olympics season, they too will fall to victims.

Quite frankly, Yuna fans/Maobots/V/M, D/W ubers are probably among the largest advertising contributor to boost activities on these figure skating boards and actually PAY to go to these figure skating competitions to shows direct financial support to the sport and its secondary industries. After Yuna is gone (as well as many great names in this sport, Dai, Mao, Patrick, Carolina, Virtue and Moir etc..), let's see how the visitor numbers will die down, and how much the sport will still enjoy the media exposure Yuna managed for populate the sport columns around the world to compete among the 101 sports out there. While that may bring peace to the rare deep philosopher thinker such as yourself, I fear for the sport and all its major stake holders. For it will be an end of an era, and the niche sport may soon became an exotic rare hobby that many will only visit once every 4 years.

(Oh yeah and it helps when Yuna fans don't have to create silly thread like these to rally troops just to call some decades old seasoned professionals 'idiot' or 'Yuna fan' while desperately cling onto some sense of moral superiority while looking completely daft and embarrassing in the process.)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Wow. Well, thanks for proving my thinking, anyway.

I have to point out this: how many empty seats are we now going to see in the Ladies' event at TEB because Yunafans bought so many tickets? How many fans of other skaters, who would have stayed for many skaters and not just came in right before their skater and left immediately afterwards, are going to miss out because of this? (This is my biggest issue with Yunafans. You want to buy the ticket, fine. But for heavens' sake show some respect for the other ladies. Don't just make a mass exodus as soon as Yuna finishes. That's plain RUDE.)

Nadia01

Final Flight
I agree, that right now yes- Yu Na Kim is the greatest skater of this generation. But in terms of athletic prowess, in this last Olympic quad I would give that honor to Mao Asada. Three triple axels at the Olympics, and still attempting it now- that's serious balls and skill. Yes, Kim has the biggest and loveliest triple lutz-triple toe, but personally for me, the fact that people often take Asada's 3A for granted because it looks so effortless (when landed), is a great indication of her prowess.

Um. The key is WHEN LANDED. I think her success rate on 3A is rather low, and I don't think people take Asada's 3A for granted b/c most of times you arent' even sure if she's going to land it w/o UR, DG, etc.

Even JP commentators sound agitated when she does 3As.

really? Posting my opinion in message board about a public person merits me being personally attack by another poster. And that is how you respond?

Except he was also just a person on Twitter tweeting his opinion about a public person, and you think it merits a personal attack by you, calling him "Yuna fan" and talking about how he's no real journalist, blah blah blah.

Wow. Well, thanks for proving my thinking, anyway.

I have to point out this: how many empty seats are we now going to see in the Ladies' event at TEB because Yunafans bought so many tickets? How many fans of other skaters, who would have stayed for many skaters and not just came in right before their skater and left immediately afterwards, are going to miss out because of this? (This is my biggest issue with Yunafans. You want to buy the ticket, fine. But for heavens' sake show some respect for the other ladies. Don't just make a mass exodus as soon as Yuna finishes. That's plain RUDE.)

Why is it such a big deal that somehow ONLY Yuna fans do?

Michelle fans did the same thing. So do fans of other really popular skaters.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Why is it such a big deal that somehow ONLY Yuna fans do?

Michelle fans did the same thing. So do fans of other really popular skaters.

Because Yuna's fans are the ones doing it at the moment. At NRW last season, for example.

I would go to, for example, TEB just for Jason, but I would spend the whole competition in the stands with stars in my eyes watching. But then I do come from a country where elite figure skating is not really a thing. We have Brendan and Brooklee and Dani and Greg and we're so proud of them, but they'll never be megastars the way Yuna is.

jaylee

Medalist
Because Yuna's fans are the ones doing it at the moment. At NRW last season, for example.

Plenty of Canadian fans left after Kaetlyn Osmond skated her SP at 2013 Worlds. There was far less of a noticeable exodus after Yu-Na skated her SP.

ETA: And plenty of skating fans didn't even arrive until the final 2 or 3 groups in the men's AND the ladies at Worlds.

:) This is what I think. Yuna Kim fans have a unique and special obligation to take the high road, provocation notwithstanding. The reason? Yuna already has the whole cake. Would it kill us to toss a couple of crumbs to some of the other ladies? (This was a concept that I failed to grasp back when I was a Michelle Kwan uber. ;) )

Go Courtney Hicks!

minze

Medalist
:) This is what I think. Yuna Kim fans have a unique and special obligation to take the high road, provocation notwithstanding. The reason? Yuna already has the whole cake. Would it kill us to toss a couple of crumbs to some of the other ladies? (This was a concept that I failed to grasp back when I was a Michelle Kwan uber. ;) )

Go Courtney Hicks!

And I guess this is how you end a thread that has gone crazy. Apologies to my fellow GS members for starting this thread. It was not my intention to start another skater vs skater thread. I personally hate those threads because although I have my favorites I respect the effort of every skater, I truly do.

I was excited for Elena to get gold medal at her first senior even
I was excited for Ashley Cain to get a medal in her first senior debut
I was happy that with so little time Miki Ando was able to get the results that she got
I was Happy the Isadora Williams made history by becoming the first Brazilian to earn a spot for Brazil
I was happy that Jason Brown had good performance
I was excited that Nobouri Oda showed his federation and his competitors that he is coming for them

I think the success stories like the one I mentioned above could get people interested in the sport. I should have started a thread about one of those topics.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I suppose I'm on the wrong side of the argument yet again.

Rather then believing too few skaters are called "great", I think the word "great" is tossed about too frequently in skating.

I believe there are two great dance teams currently competing... Skaters that will probably be mentioned in GOAT discussions in twenty years.

Perhaps, maybe, Yuna will be in that discussion, but I'm not convinced.

None of the current men will be (Plushenko excepted)... at least based on what we've seen so far, and neither will any of the current pairs.

I think there are a lot of excellent skaters, gifted skaters, hard workers, talented athletes... but other than these two dance teams, I don't see anyone who is, for certain, "great" yet.

Moment

Final Flight
Yuna is leaps and bounds ahead of those grossly overrated dance pair (only by the judges and their deluded fans) Meryl Davis and Charlie White in greatness discussion.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We agree to disagree.

It's what makes fan boards so much fun.

Although I will go so far as to say that the fierce back-and-forth rivalry between D/W and V/M helps them both out in the "greatness" discussion.

I don't think either would be as great if the other wasn't there.

Kinda like Evert and Navratilova.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OK.

We have a disagreement about greatness. I don't think that number of titles has as much to do with it as the quality of the skate.

G/P have two Olympic wins and a lot of WC golds, and I don't think they can hold a candle to either V/M or D/W.

I think that if they didn't have their rivals (fake or not) to push and inspire them, neither V/M or D/W would be as good as they are.

Moment

Final Flight
OK.

We have a disagreement about greatness. I don't think that number of titles has as much to do with it as the quality of the skate.

G/P have two Olympic wins and a lot of WC golds, and I don't think they can hold a candle to either V/M or D/W.

I think that if they didn't have their rivals (fake or not) to push and inspire them, neither V/M or D/W would be as good as they are.

I never doubted Grishuk and Platov as one of the greats of ice dancing.

I firmly believe Grishuk and Platov had far superior sense of bodily movements and in between connection to Davis and White do. Occasionally better than Virtue and Moir too.

LRK

Record Breaker
Well, obviously if your main rival dropped off the face of the earth you would win more championships.

Indeed. And we're back to Tonya Harding... ;)

(Note: Not on this thread, but there's another one currently featuring her.)

Status
Not open for further replies.