Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 108

Thread: Philip Hersh Journalist?

  1. #46
    Custom Title Nadia01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    921
    Quote Originally Posted by Minze2001 View Post
    Where did I compare Yuna's resume to ashley. Stop putting words in my mouth. No I said this sport has more than one great athlete. And if you and Philip think there is only one Great athlete, then ok, but I disagree. And this bad habit of dissmissing peoples's acompliament to point out Yuna Kim is the greatest is not necesary.
    LOL.

    OK. But to compare skaters, you sort of need to look at their resume, no?

    FS has more than one GREAT skater. Plushenko (though not in his current form...but he was really amazing when he was younger), Yagudin, Michelle Kwan, Kristi Yamaguchi, Dick Button, Brian Boitano, etc. But many of them no longer compete (except for Plushy, though I don't think he's ever going to be as great as he used to be). Apparently Phil Hersh thought Yuna is the CURRENTLY COMPETING GREAT from the singles.

    I don't think he dismissed anybody's accomplishments. Once they have something that he feels is sufficiently impressive and interesting to his followers, I'm sure he'll mention it when he tweets.

  2. #47
    Custom Title Minze2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadia01 View Post
    LOL.

    OK. But to compare skaters, you sort of need to look at their resume, no?

    FS has more than one GREAT skater. Plushenko (though not in his current form...but he was really amazing when he was younger), Yagudin, Michelle Kwan, Kristi Yamaguchi, Dick Button, Brian Boitano, etc. But many of them no longer compete (except for Plushy, though I don't think he's ever going to be as great as he used to be). Apparently Phil Hersh thought Yuna is the CURRENTLY COMPETING GREAT from the singles.

    I don't think he dismissed anybody's accomplishments. Once they have something that he feels is sufficiently impressive and interesting to his followers, I'm sure he'll mention it when he tweets.
    Yes he did. He is dissmisse of peoples work. His exageration was not worthy of someone who calls himself a jounalist. He is so arrogant that he did not even use three magic words "in my opinion" so is he a journalist or a Yunabot? Yep Yunabot. Then stop hidding behind the jounalism label

  3. #48
    Simply the best. l'etoile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,056
    omg y'all need to take a step back and chillax.

  4. #49
    ~high art~
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    636

  5. #50
    Custom Title Minze2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    591
    The same chilax u take when some is dismissive about Yuna Kim

  6. #51
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    311
    Since when did saying that a skater is the greatest skater become dissing other skaters? Come on. This world is not like two sides of a coin.

  7. #52
    Custom Title Minze2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by ehdtkqorl123 View Post
    Since when did saying that a skater is the greatest skater become dissing other skaters? Come on. This world is not like two sides of a coin.
    Read my post. saying a sport only has one great athlete is rude and dissmive. I never said saying someone is the gratest athlete is wrong. Saying a sport has only great athlete is dissmisive

  8. #53
    Custom Title heyang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,198
    According to dictionary.com:

    jour·nal·ist
    [jur-nl-ist] Show IPA

    noun
    1. a person who practices the occupation or profession of journalism.
    2. a person who keeps a journal, diary, or other record of daily events.

    jour·nal·ism
    [jur-nl-iz-uhm] Show IPA
    noun
    1. the occupation of reporting, writing, editing, photographing, or broadcasting news or of conducting any news organization as a business.
    2. press1 ( def 31 ) .
    3. a course of study preparing students for careers in reporting, writing, and editing for newspapers and magazines.
    4. writing that reflects superficial thought and research, a popular slant, and hurried composition, conceived of as exemplifying topical newspaper or popular magazine writing as distinguished from scholarly writing: He calls himself a historian, but his books are mere journalism

    Definition of a reporter:

    re·port·er
    [ri-pawr-ter, -pohr-] Show IPA

    noun
    1. a person who reports.
    2. a person employed to gather and report news, as for a newspaper, wire service, or television station.
    3. a person who prepares official reports, as of legal or legislative proceedings.

    I would not call Hersh a reporter who is supposed to cite only the facts. He really is a journalist as he's writing about his observations on recent events. I view him as a columnist as he often writes about his observations on sports.

  9. #54
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    320
    Phil must be quite bemused by the fuss being made over his credentials

    Given this context, perhaps the thread should be renamed to include the question of whether he is also a skating "celebrity"
    At a minimum, a "person of renown and/or interest" (criminal nuance intended - heehee) I mean "come on" he had Speedy on speed dial back in 2011

  10. #55
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    237
    Geez.... Shame on you, Hersh!

    Quote Originally Posted by Binthere View Post
    Phil must be quite bemused by the fuss being made over his credentials

    Given this context, perhaps the thread should be renamed to include the question of whether he is also a skating "celebrity"
    At a minimum, a "person of renown and/or interest" (criminal nuance intended - heehee) I mean "come on" he had Speedy on speed dial back in 2011

  11. #56
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,661
    Quote Originally Posted by Binthere View Post
    Phil must be quite bemused by the fuss being made over his credentials

    Given this context, perhaps the thread should be renamed to include the question of whether he is also a skating "celebrity"
    At a minimum, a "person of renown and/or interest" (criminal nuance intended - heehee) I mean "come on" he had Speedy on speed dial back in 2011
    more like Amused - with all this chatter he's getting more attention and it's just proof to those that employ him that he's still relevant

  12. #57
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    320
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    more like Amused - with all this chatter he's getting more attention and it's just proof to those that employ him that he's still relevant
    We're probably both correct. I chose "Bemused" as the definition includes "nonplussed" - which I think reflects Phil's baseline "state of mind" when it comes to much in the skating world today; chat boards (which he admits to 'mining' for info) included.


  13. #58
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    150
    I think we all need to reel in our claws people. We all KNOW Phil Hersh is largely biased and its a given that of course he would dub Yu Na Kim the greatest athlete of the sport (paraphrasing..) as she is a favourite of his, but so what? It is one man's opinion.

    I agree, that right now yes- Yu Na Kim is the greatest skater of this generation. But in terms of athletic prowess, in this last Olympic quad I would give that honor to Mao Asada. Three triple axels at the Olympics, and still attempting it now- that's serious balls and skill. Yes, Kim has the biggest and loveliest triple lutz-triple toe, but personally for me, the fact that people often take Asada's 3A for granted because it looks so effortless (when landed), is a great indication of her prowess.

    But I digress.

    Shade or no shade, when it comes to Twitter, Phil Hersh can say whatever he wants. Of course I was annoyed because like most people, taken in the wrong context- he's just decided to discredit the world's elite figure skaters and that is not cool. On the other hand, it's him- take whatever he give with a pinch of salt. It's Twitter you guys- not the Chicago Tribune. When on Twitter, just assume that Phil is a monster to Kim's Lady Gaga (bad analogy, I know and don't bite my head off, but effective!)

  14. #59
    Custom Title Minze2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCzar View Post
    I think we all need to reel in our claws people. We all KNOW Phil Hersh is largely biased and its a given that of course he would dub Yu Na Kim the greatest athlete of the sport (paraphrasing..) as she is a favourite of his, but so what? It is one man's opinion.

    I agree, that right now yes- Yu Na Kim is the greatest skater of this generation. But in terms of athletic prowess, in this last Olympic quad I would give that honor to Mao Asada. Three triple axels at the Olympics, and still attempting it now- that's serious balls and skill. Yes, Kim has the biggest and loveliest triple lutz-triple toe, but personally for me, the fact that people often take Asada's 3A for granted because it looks so effortless (when landed), is a great indication of her prowess.

    But I digress.

    Shade or no shade, when it comes to Twitter, Phil Hersh can say whatever he wants. Of course I was annoyed because like most people, taken in the wrong context- he's just decided to discredit the world's elite figure skaters and that is not cool. On the other hand, it's him- take whatever he give with a pinch of salt. It's Twitter you guys- not the Chicago Tribune. When on Twitter, just assume that Phil is a monster to Kim's Lady Gaga (bad analogy, I know and don't bite my head off, but effective!)
    Agree with you and I should have considered the source. The tweet just seem so rude to me. But you my friend have committed one of the cardinal sins of this board include Mao Asada in a thread that includes Yuna Kim.

  15. #60
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by Minze2001 View Post
    Agree with you and I should have considered the source. The tweet just seem so rude to me. But you my friend have committed one of the cardinal sins of this board include Mao Asada in a thread that includes Yuna Kim.

    I know! Apologies! But hey, it always happens both ways and even though I always say that we should refrain from doing so, there I go lol. It just struck me as a little narrow minded of him. I mean, we're picking on technicality here, but whenever I think of Asada and Kim- I will always associate one with pure athleticism and one with complete artistry.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •