Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Philip Hersh Journalist?

Philip hates Asada I think she stole his puppy. I remember after the 4cc when Asada Mao landed that beautiful 3A he wrote article bashing Gracie for not winning paraphrasing. In the article he mentioned how Asada's FS was not perfect and her jumps were sloppy. No where in the article the great journalist mentioned her SP, the fact that it was the season's highest SP so far or that Asada Mao landed her 3A. So yes I used to his bias and awful journalism, but that tweet hit a nerve with me.

Rinkside
    Back in 2006, Phil actually wrote complimentary articles about Mao full of gushing praise, back in a time when there was so much excitement around her. As I said before, Phil's interest is in whoever is on top and he has no mercy once they fall down for whatever reason. As was already mentioned, he was critical of Yuna's 2011 short program at Worlds where he accused the judges of purposely overscoring her and thought that Miki should've been first (?!) in that segment of the competition as well. He definitely did not endear himself to Yuna's fans at that time, but now that she is firmly back on top he feels comfortable heaping on the praises once again. It's just the way he is and that's why I don't take him too seriously most of the time.

Columnist
    To add something to the current discussion...

I dont think Yuna Kim is Figure Skating, but every athlet is - be it novice, juniors, seniors, adults ... all those make that sport to what it is, no sport is about 1 single person, because who wants to see a competition with just 1 Football Team, Skater, Formula 1 Driver etc?

Because of this I believe that a lot more journalist´s, should also report about those who are not rich, a gold medalist or in any other type very popular. That does not have anything to do with the person this thread is all about, but I still wanted to say it

Kim Yuna is a great Skater and most likely person, I sadly never met myself - but we should all never, ever forget about the others who train as hard, who work as much and who give their best in every competion, just like Yuna Kim does.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Minze2001 View Post
    Philip hates Asada I think she stole his puppy. I remember after the 4cc when Asada Mao landed that beautiful 3A he wrote article bashing Gracie for not winning paraphrasing. In the article he mentioned how Asada's FS was not perfect and her jumps were sloppy. No where in the article the great journalist mentioned her SP, the fact that it was the season's highest SP so far or that Asada Mao landed her 3A. So yes I used to his bias and awful journalism, but that tweet hit a nerve with me.
    It is fairly apparent now why you started this thread. More like you have a problem with 'Philip' to begin with for years and have resort to take this opportunities to nit pick over an impulsive tweet. Wow, to have the audacity to act morally superior then accuse him of being a Yunabot is kinda pathetic and ludicrous.

Sour grapes makes very poor whine. A deceptive one risks turning toxic. Take antidote while you can. Rewatch Yuna Kim OGM skates 10 times and comprehend.

Custom Title
    I think Philip Hersh himself will certainly laugh hard to be called as Yunabot. Also I do not think that he necessarily hates certain skater at all. Minze you mentioned Mao in 4cc right? When Yuna first showed her clean les mis in nationals with 145, what Philip did was pointing out her mistake in SP rather than only focusing on praising her success via his tweet. Certainly not typical bot's reaction Of course he praised Yuna a lot after WC just as many other journalists did... I bet he is rather fan of clean performances, glorious/flawless win than any certain skater. He will praise Mao if she gets to show her full potential, without URs in jumps.

Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    It is fairly apparent now why you started this thread. More like you have a problem 'Philip' to begin with for years and have resorted to take this opportunities to nit pick over an impulsive tweet. Wow, to have the audacity to act morally superior then accuse him of being a Yunabot is kinda pathetic and ludicrous.

Sour grapes makes very poor whine. A deceptive one risks turning toxic. Take antidote while you can. Rewatch Yuna Kim OGM skates 10 times and comprehend.
    Wow you can read my mind? What am I thinking right know? You do not know anything about me so . Also, please stop addressing me because I have a problem with the condescending way you post. You have a way of making your posts personal attacks and I am not willing to engage you. So you know this a message board about figure skating and people post about that. So stating my opinion about sports writer who writes about the subject is not whining

Custom Title
    Minze2001: Philip Hersh Journalist? Why is this man calling himself a journalist. No insight, objectivity or intelligent analysis he is lazy.

Philip Hersh: Please stop addressing me because I have a problem with the condescending way you post.

Quote Originally Posted by Puchi View Post
    Minze2001: Philip Hersh Journalist? Why is this man calling himself a journalist. No insight, objectivity or intelligent analysis he is lazy.

Philip Hersh: Please stop addressing me because I have a problem with the condescending way you post.
    really? Posting my opinion in message board about a public person merits me being personally attack by another poster. And that is how you respond?

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I don't know. It's not Hersh's job to promote figure skating, It's his job to sell newspapers.
    What he writes hardly compels many people to read. So how is he doing his job?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    What he writes hardly compels many people to read.
    And you know this how, exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion
    What he writes hardly compels many people to read.
    Sadly, that may be true. When Hersh retires the Trib will not hire anyone new to cover figure skating and that will be that.

Although...after Jo-Anne Barnas left the Detroit Free Press they turned Olympic sports over to general staff writer Jeff Seidel. He does not know much about skating, but he is taking the responsibility seriously and reports in a straightforward way without condescension.

I miss the days when there was a big picture of Michelle Kwan in the papers after every skating event.

Edited to add picture from the golden age of figure skating journalism.

http://www.jumpingfrog.com/images/ep...26/zz7479a.jpg
    Last edited by Mathman; 09-28-2013 at 09:37 PM.

Custard Title
    Wow you can read my mind? What am I thinking right know? You do not know anything about me so . Also, please stop addressing me because I have a problem with the condescending way you post. You have a way of making your posts personal attacks and I am not willing to engage you. So you know this a message board about figure skating and people post about that. So stating my opinion about sports writer who writes about the subject is not whining
    But we all knew Phil Hersh was an idiot from the beginning. Why bother making a new thread about it? If one created a new thread for every dumb thing he said, then this forum would be a cesspool clogged with pointless complaints about a pointless man. At least raise the bar to "articles" instead of "tweets."

Quote Originally Posted by ElleluvsL View Post
    As I said before, Phil's interest is in whoever is on top and he has no mercy once they fall down for whatever reason...It's just the way he is and that's why I don't take him too seriously most of the time.
    It's not the way Phil Hersh is, it's the way sportswriting is. Last year the San Francisco Giants won the World Series, this year they're bums.

Quote Originally Posted by CarneAsada View Post
    But we all knew Phil Hersh was an idiot from the beginning. Why bother making a new thread about it? If one created a new thread for every dumb thing he said, then this forum would be a cesspool clogged with pointless complaints about a pointless man. At least raise the bar to "articles" instead of "tweets."
    Agree, but I usually don't have an issue with his articles because he is entitle to his opinion. So, it is ok of him to love who he loves and dislike who dislikes, but saying this sport only has Great Athlete is too much even for him.

Custard Title
    Agree, but I usually don't have an issue with his articles because he is entitle to his opinion. So, it is ok of him to love who he loves and dislike who dislikes, but saying this sport only has Great Athlete is too much even for him.
    Don't have an issue with his articles? Really? What about your first post on this page? He's put out nastier drivel than this in many an article, so I don't understand you'd say this suddenly crosses your arbitrary set line. Again, he is entitled to his opinion. If Mao spends this season landing 8 triples in her free skates, I'm sure Phil will be singing her praises and calling her God's gift to skating too.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast