Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 108

Thread: Philip Hersh Journalist?

  1. #76
    Custom Title Minze2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    722
    Quote Originally Posted by CarneAsada View Post
    Don't have an issue with his articles? Really? What about your first post on this page? He's put out nastier drivel than this in many an article, so I don't understand you'd say this suddenly crosses your arbitrary set line. Again, he is entitled to his opinion. If Mao spends this season landing 8 triples in her free skates, I'm sure Phil will be singing her praises and calling her God's gift to skating too.
    Yes this crosses the line for me because like I keep repeating this sport does not only have one great athlete

  2. #77
    Long live the Queen! YunaBliss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    446
    Quote Originally Posted by Minze2001 View Post
    Yes this crosses the line for me because like I keep repeating this sport does not only have one great athlete
    I understand how Mao fans may be upset, but, I would cut Phil some slack on this one.

    Right now, in all of sports, I think there is only one other athlete who is dominating the competition like Yuna has -- Usain Bolt.

    When Usain is on, it's not only the fact that everyone is fighting for second place, but it is the margin of victory -- the difference between 1st and 2nd, that is truly impressive.

    Yuna is just like that. She won 2013 Worlds by the largest margin of victory since COP was adopted, ditto for Olympics. Who else wins a competition regularly by 20+, 30+ points? When she is on, Yuna makes mockery of competition.

    If a "figure skating fan" doesn't recognize this, then he/she must not be a figure skating fan. Because, seriously, if a skater from Japan or US has been destroying the competition like Yuna has since 2009, and Phil made the same tweet, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

    I am sooooo upset that we won't be able to witness Yuna's skating again until probably next year....

  3. #78
    Custom Title Minze2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    722
    this thread has ran its course. nothing else to say. And some people want go make into a Mao vs Yuna war and we have enough of those.

  4. #79
    Simply the best. l'etoile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,056
    Quote Originally Posted by Minze2001 View Post
    this thread has ran its course. nothing else to say. And some people want go make into a Mao vs Yuna war and we have enough of those.
    Nothing else to say because you kept repeating the same thing after all of the others pointed out lack of reasoning and merit in your statement(not stantements, just one statement that you absolutely insisted to be the only truth/logic) in many ways.

  5. #80
    Custom Title Minze2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    722
    Quote Originally Posted by l'etoile View Post
    Nothing else to say because you kept repeating the same thing after all of the others pointed out lack of reasoning and merit in your statement(not stantements, just one statement that you absolutely insisted to be the only truth/logic) in many ways.
    Apologies. You are right and I am wrong. Apologies for been so illogical and having an opinion about something about the sport this forum is about: confused:

  6. #81
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,378
    Phil Hersh is more of a sensationalist and you can't call it journalism when you based it in your own views
    never mind that he's a joke and nobody takes him seriously

    I hope he's reading this thread

  7. #82
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3,099
    Every now and again I ask myself a very deep, philosophical question:

    Who is more annoying? The V/M-D/W ubers, or the Maobots vs Yunabots?

    It seems to swing about...

  8. #83
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Beyond Neverland
    Posts
    1,613
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Every now and again I ask myself a very deep, philosophical question:

    Who is more annoying? The V/M-D/W ubers, or the Maobots vs Yunabots?

    It seems to swing about...
    Oh yes, the very deep and philosophical GS thinker.
    I have news for you, it is actually not a hard question. Yunabots clearly wins in everything.

    Whenever someone can't win an argument, they immediately point their finger to the other goes, oh but you are a Yunabot! (even when they are not)
    Whenever someone want to feel self righteous and lacks things to say, they go Oohhhh those crazy Yunabot annoys me.
    Yunabots are the biggest accused, the guilty before trial, the straw man on these board without even having to do anything.
    Now many of the press joined in during the Olympics season, they too will fall to victims.

    Quite frankly, Yunabots/Maobots/V/M, D/W ubers are probably among the largest advertising contributor to boost activities on these figure skating boards and actually PAY to go to these figure skating competitions to shows direct financial support to the sport and its secondary industries. After Yuna is gone (as well as many great names in this sport, Dai, Mao, Patrick, Carolina, Virtue and Moir etc..), let's see how the visitor numbers will die down, and how much the sport will still enjoy the media exposure Yuna managed for populate the sport columns around the world to compete among the 101 sports out there. While that may bring peace to the rare deep philosopher thinker such as yourself, I fear for the sport and all its major stake holders. For it will be an end of an era, and the niche sport may soon became an exotic rare hobby that many will only visit once every 4 years.

    (Oh yeah and it helps when Yunabots don't have to create silly thread like these to rally troops just to call some decades old seasoned professionals 'idiot' or 'yunabot' while desperately cling onto some sense of moral superiority while looking completely daft and embarrassing in the process.)

  9. #84
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3,099
    Wow. Well, thanks for proving my thinking, anyway.

    I have to point out this: how many empty seats are we now going to see in the Ladies' event at TEB because Yunafans bought so many tickets? How many fans of other skaters, who would have stayed for many skaters and not just came in right before their skater and left immediately afterwards, are going to miss out because of this? (This is my biggest issue with Yunafans. You want to buy the ticket, fine. But for heavens' sake show some respect for the other ladies. Don't just make a mass exodus as soon as Yuna finishes. That's plain RUDE.)

  10. #85
    Custom Title Nadia01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    921
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCzar View Post
    I agree, that right now yes- Yu Na Kim is the greatest skater of this generation. But in terms of athletic prowess, in this last Olympic quad I would give that honor to Mao Asada. Three triple axels at the Olympics, and still attempting it now- that's serious balls and skill. Yes, Kim has the biggest and loveliest triple lutz-triple toe, but personally for me, the fact that people often take Asada's 3A for granted because it looks so effortless (when landed), is a great indication of her prowess.
    Um. The key is WHEN LANDED. I think her success rate on 3A is rather low, and I don't think people take Asada's 3A for granted b/c most of times you arent' even sure if she's going to land it w/o UR, DG, etc.

    Even JP commentators sound agitated when she does 3As.

    Quote Originally Posted by Minze2001 View Post
    really? Posting my opinion in message board about a public person merits me being personally attack by another poster. And that is how you respond?
    Except he was also just a person on Twitter tweeting his opinion about a public person, and you think it merits a personal attack by you, calling him "yunabot" and talking about how he's no real journalist, blah blah blah.

    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Wow. Well, thanks for proving my thinking, anyway.

    I have to point out this: how many empty seats are we now going to see in the Ladies' event at TEB because Yunafans bought so many tickets? How many fans of other skaters, who would have stayed for many skaters and not just came in right before their skater and left immediately afterwards, are going to miss out because of this? (This is my biggest issue with Yunafans. You want to buy the ticket, fine. But for heavens' sake show some respect for the other ladies. Don't just make a mass exodus as soon as Yuna finishes. That's plain RUDE.)
    Why is it such a big deal that somehow ONLY Yuna fans do?

    Michelle fans did the same thing. So do fans of other really popular skaters.

  11. #86
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3,099
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadia01 View Post
    Why is it such a big deal that somehow ONLY Yuna fans do?

    Michelle fans did the same thing. So do fans of other really popular skaters.
    Because Yuna's fans are the ones doing it at the moment. At NRW last season, for example.

    I would go to, for example, TEB just for Jason, but I would spend the whole competition in the stands with stars in my eyes watching. But then I do come from a country where elite figure skating is not really a thing. We have Brendan and Brooklee and Dani and Greg and we're so proud of them, but they'll never be megastars the way Yuna is.

  12. #87
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    836
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Because Yuna's fans are the ones doing it at the moment. At NRW last season, for example.
    Plenty of Canadian fans left after Kaetlyn Osmond skated her SP at 2013 Worlds. There was far less of a noticeable exodus after Yu-Na skated her SP.

    ETA: And plenty of skating fans didn't even arrive until the final 2 or 3 groups in the men's AND the ladies at Worlds.

  13. #88
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,625
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Every now and again I ask myself a very deep, philosophical question:

    Who is more annoying? The V/M-D/W ubers, or the Maobots vs Yunabots?
    This is what I think. Yuna Kim fans have a unique and special obligation to take the high road, provocation notwithstanding. The reason? Yuna already has the whole cake. Would it kill us to toss a couple of crumbs to some of the other ladies? (This was a concept that I failed to grasp back when I was a Michelle Kwan uber. )

    Go Courtney Hicks!

  14. #89
    Custom Title Minze2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    722
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    This is what I think. Yuna Kim fans have a unique and special obligation to take the high road, provocation notwithstanding. The reason? Yuna already has the whole cake. Would it kill us to toss a couple of crumbs to some of the other ladies? (This was a concept that I failed to grasp back when I was a Michelle Kwan uber. )

    Go Courtney Hicks!
    And I guess this is how you end a thread that has gone crazy. Apologies to my fellow GS members for starting this thread. It was not my intention to start another skater vs skater thread. I personally hate those threads because although I have my favorites I respect the effort of every skater, I truly do.

    I was excited for Elena to get gold medal at her first senior even
    I was excited for Ashley Cain to get a medal in her first senior debut
    I was happy that with so little time Miki Ando was able to get the results that she got
    I was Happy the Isadora Williams made history by becoming the first Brazilian to earn a spot for Brazil
    I was happy that Jason Brown had good performance
    I was excited that Nobouri Oda showed his federation and his competitors that he is coming for them

    I think the success stories like the one I mentioned above could get people interested in the sport. I should have started a thread about one of those topics.

  15. #90
    Outdated Old Dinosaur
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    939
    I suppose I'm on the wrong side of the argument yet again.

    Rather then believing too few skaters are called "great", I think the word "great" is tossed about too frequently in skating.

    I believe there are two great dance teams currently competing... Skaters that will probably be mentioned in GOAT discussions in twenty years.

    Perhaps, maybe, Yuna will be in that discussion, but I'm not convinced.

    None of the current men will be (Plushenko excepted)... at least based on what we've seen so far, and neither will any of the current pairs.

    I think there are a lot of excellent skaters, gifted skaters, hard workers, talented athletes... but other than these two dance teams, I don't see anyone who is, for certain, "great" yet.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •