Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Philip Hersh Journalist?

~high art~
    Yuna is leaps and bounds ahead of those grossly overrated dance pair (only by the judges and their deluded fans) Meryl Davis and Charlie White in greatness discussion.

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    We agree to disagree.

It's what makes fan boards so much fun.

Although I will go so far as to say that the fierce back-and-forth rivalry between D/W and V/M helps them both out in the "greatness" discussion.

I don't think either would be as great if the other wasn't there.

Kinda like Evert and Navratilova.

Yeah, those darn judges.

~high art~
    Tessa and Scott would definitely have done better without the fake rivalry.

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    Quote Originally Posted by Moment View Post
    Interesting. Can you expand on this thought?

~high art~
    Quote Originally Posted by TontoK View Post
    Interesting. Can you expand on this thought?
    Like, they would have been four time world champs already...?

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    OK.

We have a disagreement about greatness. I don't think that number of titles has as much to do with it as the quality of the skate.

G/P have two Olympic wins and a lot of WC golds, and I don't think they can hold a candle to either V/M or D/W.

I think that if they didn't have their rivals (fake or not) to push and inspire them, neither V/M or D/W would be as good as they are.

~high art~
    Quote Originally Posted by TontoK View Post
    OK.

We have a disagreement about greatness. I don't think that number of titles has as much to do with it as the quality of the skate.

G/P have two Olympic wins and a lot of WC golds, and I don't think they can hold a candle to either V/M or D/W.

I think that if they didn't have their rivals (fake or not) to push and inspire them, neither V/M or D/W would be as good as they are.
    I never doubted Grishuk and Platov as one of the greats of ice dancing.

I firmly believe Grishuk and Platov had far superior sense of bodily movements and in between connection to Davis and White do. Occasionally better than Virtue and Moir too.

Well, obviously if your main rival dropped off the face of the earth you would win more championships.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Well, obviously if your main rival dropped off the face of the earth you would win more championships.
    Indeed. And we're back to Tonya Harding...

(Note: Not on this thread, but there's another one currently featuring her.)

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Guys, this thread is not open season on other fans. You can attack or defend Phil Hersh.
    You can advocate for your non-YuNa fav being great.
    You can advocate for YuNa only being great.

What you shouldn't do is attack each other. It's against the guidelines.

Myself, I think Phil is out to lunch. YuNa is great, but Plushy is great, too.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    But you did not explain what is "fake" about the rivalry.

I prefer Virtue/Moir, but I do not agree that their rivalry with Davis/White is fake.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    But you did not explain what is "fake" about the rivalry.

I prefer Virtue/Moir, but I do not agree that their rivalry with Davis/White is fake.
    I don't know how anyone can think it is fake, quite honestly? They are always neck and neck, and no knowing who will prevail at any given moment - and no one else is close to either of them. And this has been going on for years. Surely this is not only a rivalry - but a great rivalry? I don't watch ice dance, really - but whenever I do, I can't help but feel that the Quality that both teams display is obvious. I do believe that this will be a rivalry to be remembered, and that people will be talking about it years hence.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadia01 View Post
    Um. The key is WHEN LANDED. I think her success rate on 3A is rather low, and I don't think people take Asada's 3A for granted b/c most of times you arent' even sure if she's going to land it w/o UR, DG, etc.

Even JP commentators sound agitated when she does 3As.
    See I disagree. It is the same thing with Joubert and Plushenko (as Weir pointed out once in a commentary), these athletes have been landing these jumps for such a long time, so when they fail to do so it is the end of the world- but when they do, it's just another day in the office. Nobody (apart from the Eurosport commentators) really give a damn anymore as to how much difficulty goes into even attempting a triple axel. The quad, less so because these days almost all the men can land it. No lady apart from Asada so much as attempts it in competition and that fact on its own should be lauded. She's 23 and even though her success rate is low (perhaps), she's the kind of athlete who will persevere nonetheless.

Anyway, I'm not stirring the pot- my issue is Phil Hersh's tendency to lose tact.

Custom Title
    Can we just end this nonsensical thread? Whether you like him or not, agree with him or not, Hersh has been a journalist for more than 30 years, working for the Chicago Tribune. To question whether he is a journalist is just plain ridiculous.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast