Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Polina Edmunds = better than Gracie? And best USA lady by far??

Custom Title
    I think it's great that the US has all these promising young skaters to push one another.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    I think it's great that the US has all these promising young skaters to push one another.
    I agree. It will be interesting to see how all of them do at Nationals.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Unfortunately, the young skaters tend to flame out at Nationals and the usual suspects rise to the top.

Custom Title
    I do think she's better than Gracie in terms of an overall package, Gold's jumps are bigger but that's expected because she has a sturdier and more muscular build, but in terms of grace, artistry, interpretation, and even spins, Polina is better IMO. Polina is very fast across the ice just like Gracie. In a few years, I definitely think Polina could be top dog in the US, provided she doesn't grow too tall, but her build and jumping style is a lot like Kostner, and Kostner can sure jump even though she's tall so Edmunds can likely do the same. I agree with people saying Gracie won't be left at home this Olympics, even though I find Polina much more enjoyable to watch, but I do think Polina could sneak in and get the 3rd spot. She's probably not the USFSA's first choice in the 3rd spot winner, but if she hits the jumps, which she has been doing quite consistently as of late, and the other girls in contention don't - and that's hardly a big if considering those ladies are Zawadzki, Nagasu, Czisny, and Gao (she was pretty consistent last season but wasn't trying Polina's level of content), then I think she could make it. Definitely one to watch in the future. Her limbs are so long but she uses them so gracefully. She may LOOK gangly but I don't find her skating gawky at all.

Custom Title
    Polina actually reminds me a bit of Sarah Hughes during her first year or two at the senior level

Look what Carolina Kostner can do with her long limbs and body. Am I wrong to think Polina reminds me of her? And Polina is starting to understand the natural advantage her body type gives her. As for her age, I don't think she has to worry about any growth spurt problems waiting to happen either; she looks like her body could still fill out but that is something one expects with older teens; not younger and mid teens.

Custom Title
    I think what strikes me most about Polina is her edges... she's got lovely flow across the ice, and when she does transitions, there's usually little ambiguity about the types of turns she's doing. She's also doing some of the harder transitions I've seen, which is nice to see from someone relatively out of the junior ranks. I'd still say Gracie's jumps are much better at this point in time.

Still way too early to say how Edmunds will turn out because her consistency isn't superb, but she's certainly one to watch.

Rinkside
    Just watched this one on Youtube: I have to admit this is the most beautiful and a clean FS with needed difficulty for Oly year from US ladies I watched on youtube so far for season. She has very nice edge and followed music beautifully.

Wish she continues doing well for rest of the season.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by RABID View Post
    Look what Carolina Kostner can do with her long limbs and body. Am I wrong to think Polina reminds me of her? And Polina is starting to understand the natural advantage her body type gives her. As for her age, I don't think she has to worry about any growth spurt problems waiting to happen either; she looks like her body could still fill out but that is something one expects with older teens; not younger and mid teens.
    She reminds me of Carolina too, not just the body type but also her speed across the ice, carriage, and musicality. And I agree about the growth, she's 15 and looking at her she already had the big upward spurt already, so at this point she's likely to grow maybe another inch or two and then just fill out, which given how lanky she is now is unlikely to cause her any issues and may even help her jumps/URs. She also has a pretty nice technique on her jumps, it's pretty linear and she's working with Frank Carroll sometimes now so it will likely improve with time. I don't see many weaknesses in her skating, the URs come and go, but she's usually consistent in landing the jumps, has the technical difficulty to be at the top, strong spins and flexibility, ideal body type and good control of her limbs, elegance and dance training, strong edges and difficult, well-executed footwork. She also has that sassy personality and it-factor that allows her to perform well and genuinely, something which Gracie definitely doesn't have naturally. Also, Polina is soft in her movements instead of stiff, and she has an excellent back and keeps her shoulders down. I think she could very well shake things up at Nationals this season and make things very interesting...

Polina FTW

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Welcome to Golden Skate, SkatingFun! Post long & often.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Polina Edmunds is on the ballot for USOC September Female Athlete of the Month

Esp. cool is that among others on the ballot is Serena Williams. Inclusion on the same list as Williams would be an honor and a thrill, if you ask me.

And on the other ballots at the same link:
    - Nathan Chen for Male Athlete of the Month.
    - Hawayek/Baker for Team of the Month. [The Bryan brothers, the legendary doubles team from tennis, are in their category. Not too shabby either. ]

(Survey closes in 1 day)

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    IMO, Polina is echelons ahead of Gracie in terms of talent and style. She reminds me of a young Carolina Kostner and she appears to have a strong head for competition, which I hope continues into her senior career. She is a lovely vision on the ice with long body lines and sensitivity to her music! I haven't been this excited about a US lady in a LONG time, not since Michelle Kwan. I don't want Edmunds to receive the excessive amount of fanfare that Gold has though.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    IMO, Polina is echelons ahead of Gracie in terms of talent and style. She reminds me of a young Carolina Kostner and she appears to have a strong head for competition, which I hope continues into her senior career. She is a lovely vision on the ice with long body lines and sensitivity to her music! I haven't been this excited about a US lady in a LONG time, not since Michelle Kwan. I don't want Edmunds to receive the excessive amount of fanfare that Gold has though.
    Polina may be ahead of Gracie in terms of style but talentwise i'm not sure. Gracie never has problems rotating her jumps while Polina looks like she has to muscle them sometimes which causes her underotations. Gracie may be a better spinner and is a bit faster on the ice too.

Quote Originally Posted by thinspread View Post
    From what I saw in that video, in some aspects her jumps look better than GG's, technique-wise. Actually, I think she may develop into a very solid and consistent jumper, if she survive changes in her body.
    I think the only place for her to grow is out. And even then she might naturally be a skinny type. She is already pretty tall and long limbed. She should be gawky and clumsy right now, and apparently isn't. If anything she should get better as she fills out and gets more accustomed to her size. However since I am a male I have no experience in this regard. I hope I am right as she looks like she could bring something special to the sport.

Custom Title
    ^^ That's my guess too. She looks to be a naturally thin type. She will fill out, but she will gain more muscle mass and strength too. I think that would help not only her overall skating, but her jumps as well. She already looks natural and effortless, and I like the way she executes her jumps without looking like she's using the last ounce of energy. I think she's very talented athletically.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast