Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ice Dancing Novel - Advice?

Quote Originally Posted by nikkiscott View Post
    it's a Christian teen contemporary novel, so I'm writing to an audience of teenagers, whether or not they ice skate. When I'm done editing it, the main focus should be towards Alec and Nikki as siblings and their relationship with each other, not their careers. That's what I'm hoping for.
    Ha, I am so not your target audience, seeing as how I don't read much YA and am also Jewish Good luck, and if you have any specific questions, I am sure you'll be able to get lots of good advice.

The author I mentioned in the earlier post is Jennifer Comeaux. I haven't read her books, but you might want to take a look.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Don't worry, nikkiscott.
    During the summer, lots of skaters [just like "normal" people, perish the thought ] enjoy spending some of their very limited leisure time at the pool, beach, lake, or whatever -- just for fun. (The question of whether swimming in the pool at home makes sense as a cool-down after practice at the rink is crossing my mind, but I have no answer either way.)

Good luck with your book.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Ha, I am so not your target audience, seeing as how I don't read much YA and am also Jewish Good luck, and if you have any specific questions, I am sure you'll be able to get lots of good advice.

The author I mentioned in the earlier post is Jennifer Comeaux. I haven't read her books, but you might want to take a look.
    Well, you know a lot about ice skating, and that's what I was looking for, so thank you.

I'll definitely look into her - thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Don't worry, nikkiscott.
    During the summer, lots of skaters [just like "normal" people, perish the thought ] enjoy spending some of their very limited leisure time at the pool, beach, lake, or whatever -- just for fun. (The question of whether swimming in the pool at home makes sense as a cool-down after practice at the rink is crossing my mind, but I have no answer either way.)

Good luck with your book.
    Thank you!

Here is the web site for the "Edge" books by Jennifer Comeaux.

http://jennifercomeaux.blogspot.com

This is quite a cool site, actually. She puts up little articles about skating moves, etc., along with discussion of her books.

If the Christian angle is key to the story, a good example and role model is Paul Wylie, 1992 Olympic silver medalist. He has written and spoken a lot about how his faith sustained him as an athlete.

http://www.preachingtoday.com/illust...y/7021510.html

Or you could have your characters meet up with and be inspired by Jennifer Robinson, six time Canadian figure skating champion. Robinson served as a global ambassador for World Vision, a Christian charity that helps impoverished children around the world. Robinson traveled several times to Cambodia to bring attention to the unspeakable plight of the poor and abused orphan children of that country. (I believe that Robinson is now a city councilman of the city of Barrie, Ontario.)

http://www.canada.com/story_print.ht...39886&sponsor=
    Last edited by Mathman; 10-02-2013 at 08:06 PM.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Here is the web site for the "Edge" books by Jennifer Comeaux.

http://jennifercomeaux.blogspot.com

This is quite a cool site, actually. She puts up little articles about skating moves, etc., along with discussion of her books.

If the Christian angle is key to the story, a good example and role model is Paul Wylie, 1992 Olympic silver medalist. He has written and spoken a lot about how his faith sustained him as an athlete.

http://www.preachingtoday.com/illust...y/7021510.html

Or you could have your characters meet up with and be inspired by Jennifer Robinson, six time Canadian figure skating champion. Robinson served as a global ambassador for World Vision, a Christian charity that helps impoverished children around the world. Robinson traveled several times to Cambodia to bring attention to the unspeakable plight of the poor and abused orphan children of that country. (I believe that Robinson is now a city councilman of the city of Barrie, Ontario.)

http://www.canada.com/story_print.ht...39886&sponsor=
    Thank you for all of the links and suggestions!!

Tripping on the Podium
    Hi, Nikki! Jennifer Comeaux here. Let me know if you have any questions about the publishing process. I might be able to help you with some of the skating questions, too. I'm not a skater, but I attend a lot of events and have done a good bit of research for my series. I have both pairs skaters and ice dancers in my series.

nikkiscott, below is the link for a recent article re American siblings, ages 9 and 11, who are an ice dance team.
    Younger than your characters, but they talk a little about the experience of skating together as sibs.
    And the article has a bit of info about their training schedule.

Skating Siblings #2: Caroline & Gordon Green
    Created on Friday, 16 August 2013 16:25
    by Daphne Backman
    http://www.ice-dance.com/main/news/g...e-gordon-green

BTW, at the current Junior Grand Prix event in the Czech Republic, the American ice dancers Parsons/Parsons are in first place after the Short Dance. If you still are casting a wide net for your research, my guess is that they are siblings who might be in the same age range as Nikki Scott and her brother. (Caveat/disclaimer: I confess that I do not know anything about them; only saw that US Figure Skating tweeted about their SD win.)

Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    Jennifer Comeaux here.
    Jennifer, if you are still following this thread, just want to say Thanks for sharing all your photos and videos from the SLC Classic.
    (I gather that you have done the same for many events in the past, but I am a latecomer to your treasure trove.)

Tripping on the Podium

Jennifer, if you are still following this thread, just want to say Thanks for sharing all your photos and videos from the SLC Classic.
    (I gather that you have done the same for many events in the past, but I am a latecomer to your treasure trove.)
    You're welcome! I have a page on my blog called "Skating Photos" where I've archived the links to all the events I've attended since 2010. I'll be covering Skate America in a few weeks.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Another young dance couple that are siblings would be Gigi and Luca Becker.
    They were the 2012 US Intermediate champions. Here is a story about them
    http://figureskating.about.com/od/us...-Champions.htm

bio
    http://eventcoverage.ice-dance.com/m...er-luca-becker

a story about their win on the intermediate level
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

In their debut as novices at US Nationals, they finished 4th
    http://www.goldenskate.com/2013/01/l...-us-nationals/

They are one of the skaters who benefit by Michael Weiss's foundation
    http://www.wate.com/story/23333906/o...champions-live

The Weiss support is important to lots of young skaters ealy in their career. It's a factoid that might be useful to you.

Rinkside
    Thank you all SO much for your help! I'll let you know if I have any more questions.

Just remembered another possibly relevant article:
    Interview With Victoria And Connor Hasegawa
    The Hasegawas are ice dancers who skate for Canada, and one of the questions they answer is about their relationship as siblings.
    They are part of Team Canton in Michigan, training alongside Virtue/Moir, the Shibutanis, Davis/White, etc.

Don't have an article handy, but the Gamelin twins are ice dancers for the U.S., if you want to look them up. I believe that they do have their own webpage somewhere. (Now at the senior level for domestic competitions; not sure if they remain juniors for international events.)

Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    You're welcome! I have a page on my blog called "Skating Photos" where I've archived the links to all the events I've attended since 2010. I'll be covering Skate America in a few weeks.
    Jennifer, many thanks in advance for your Skate America coverage. I look forward to seeing your photos and videos from Detroit.
    And I look forward also to browsing through your archives.

Rinkside
    Just remembered another possibly relevant article:
    Interview With Victoria And Connor Hasegawa
    The Hasegawas are ice dancers who skate for Canada, and one of the questions they answer is about their relationship as siblings.
    They are part of Team Canton in Michigan, training alongside Virtue/Moir, the Shibutanis, Davis/White, etc.

Don't have an article handy, but the Gamelin twins are ice dancers for the U.S., if you want to look them up. I believe that they do have their own webpage somewhere. (Now at the senior level for domestic competitions; not sure if they remain juniors for international events.)
    Thanks!!!!

Rinkside
    Alrighty, I have two more questions!

What are the required elements for a Short Dance?

Are there requirements for the style of dance you have to do for your Short Dance and Free Dance, and what are they?

Quote Originally Posted by nikkiscott View Post
    Alrighty, I have two more questions!

What are the required elements for a Short Dance?

Are there requirements for the style of dance you have to do for your Short Dance and Free Dance, and what are they?
    The requirements vary from season to season -- and also are different each season for junior-level skaters as opposed to senior-level.

If you look on the www.isu.org site, you can find more details. (Some previous Golden Skate threads also have the information.)

ETA:
    Each season, the SD requirements incl. a specific Pattern Dance (different for juniors vs. seniors). Also one rhythm is mandatory, I think (but am not sure), plus two additional optional rhythms are optional (again, different rhythms for juniors vs. seniors).
    As the name suggests, the Free Dance requirements give the dancers more freedom -- at least in some ways -- with the content of their programs. But certain elements are required -- and again, the requirements are not exactly the same from year to year.

Rinkside
    The requirements vary from season to season -- and also are different each season for junior-level skaters as opposed to senior-level.

If you look on the www.isu.org site, you can find more details. (Some previous Golden Skate threads also have the information.)

ETA:
    Each season, the SD requirements incl. a specific Pattern Dance (different for juniors vs. seniors). Also one rhythm is mandatory, I think (but am not sure), plus two additional optional rhythms are optional (again, different rhythms for juniors vs. seniors).
    As the name suggests, the Free Dance requirements give the dancers more freedom -- at least in some ways -- with the content of their programs. But certain elements are required -- and again, the requirements are not exactly the same from year to year.
    Okay, thanks!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast