Ice Dancing Novel - Advice? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ice Dancing Novel - Advice?

TanithandBenFan

On the Ice
Hi, Nikki! Jennifer Comeaux here. :) Let me know if you have any questions about the publishing process. I might be able to help you with some of the skating questions, too. I'm not a skater, but I attend a lot of events and have done a good bit of research for my series. I have both pairs skaters and ice dancers in my series. :)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
nikkiscott, below is the link for a recent article re American siblings, ages 9 and 11, who are an ice dance team.
Younger than your characters, but they talk a little about the experience of skating together as sibs.
And the article has a bit of info about their training schedule.

Skating Siblings #2: Caroline & Gordon Green

BTW, at the current Junior Grand Prix event in the Czech Republic, the American ice dancers Parsons/Parsons are in first place after the Short Dance. If you still are casting a wide net for your research, my guess is that they are siblings who might be in the same age range as Nikki Scott and her brother. (Caveat/disclaimer: I confess that I do not know anything about them; only saw that US Figure Skating tweeted about their SD win.)

Jennifer Comeaux here. :)

Jennifer, if you are still following this thread, just want to say Thanks for sharing all your photos and videos from the SLC Classic. :bow:
(I gather that you have done the same for many events in the past, but I am a latecomer to your treasure trove.)

TanithandBenFan

On the Ice
Jennifer, if you are still following this thread, just want to say Thanks for sharing all your photos and videos from the SLC Classic. :bow:
(I gather that you have done the same for many events in the past, but I am a latecomer to your treasure trove.)

You're welcome! I have a page on my blog called "Skating Photos" where I've archived the links to all the events I've attended since 2010. I'll be covering Skate America in a few weeks. :)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Another young dance couple that are siblings would be Gigi and Luca Becker.
They were the 2012 US Intermediate champions. Here is a story about them
http://figureskating.about.com/od/u...National-Intermediate-Ice-Dance-Champions.htm

bio
http://eventcoverage.ice-dance.com/...competitors/novice/31-gigi-becker-luca-becker

a story about their win on the intermediate level
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111214&content_id=26169964&vkey=ice_news

In their debut as novices at US Nationals, they finished 4th
http://www.goldenskate.com/2013/01/lewis-and-bye-win-novice-ice-dance-title-at-2013-us-nationals/

They are one of the skaters who benefit by Michael Weiss's foundation
http://www.wate.com/story/23333906/...ptember-15th-in-9th-annual-ice-champions-live

The Weiss support is important to lots of young skaters ealy in their career. It's a factoid that might be useful to you.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Just remembered another possibly relevant article:
Interview With Victoria And Connor Hasegawa
The Hasegawas are ice dancers who skate for Canada, and one of the questions they answer is about their relationship as siblings.
They are part of Team Canton in Michigan, training alongside Virtue/Moir, the Shibutanis, Davis/White, etc.

Don't have an article handy, but the Gamelin twins are ice dancers for the U.S., if you want to look them up. I believe that they do have their own webpage somewhere. (Now at the senior level for domestic competitions; not sure if they remain juniors for international events.)

You're welcome! I have a page on my blog called "Skating Photos" where I've archived the links to all the events I've attended since 2010. I'll be covering Skate America in a few weeks. :)

Jennifer, many thanks in advance for your Skate America coverage. I look forward to seeing your photos and videos from Detroit.
And I look forward also to browsing through your archives. :)

nikkiscott

Rinkside
Just remembered another possibly relevant article:
Interview With Victoria And Connor Hasegawa
The Hasegawas are ice dancers who skate for Canada, and one of the questions they answer is about their relationship as siblings.
They are part of Team Canton in Michigan, training alongside Virtue/Moir, the Shibutanis, Davis/White, etc.

Don't have an article handy, but the Gamelin twins are ice dancers for the U.S., if you want to look them up. I believe that they do have their own webpage somewhere. (Now at the senior level for domestic competitions; not sure if they remain juniors for international events.)

Thanks!!!!

nikkiscott

Rinkside
Alrighty, I have two more questions!

What are the required elements for a Short Dance?

Are there requirements for the style of dance you have to do for your Short Dance and Free Dance, and what are they?

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Are there requirements for the style of dance you have to do for your Short Dance and Free Dance, and what are they?

The requirements vary from season to season -- and also are different each season for junior-level skaters as opposed to senior-level.

If you look on the www.isu.org site, you can find more details. (Some previous Golden Skate threads also have the information.)

ETA:
Each season, the SD requirements incl. a specific Pattern Dance (different for juniors vs. seniors). Also one rhythm is mandatory, I think (but am not sure), plus two additional optional rhythms are optional (again, different rhythms for juniors vs. seniors).
As the name suggests, the Free Dance requirements give the dancers more freedom -- at least in some ways -- with the content of their programs. But certain elements are required -- and again, the requirements are not exactly the same from year to year.​

nikkiscott

Rinkside
The requirements vary from season to season -- and also are different each season for junior-level skaters as opposed to senior-level.

If you look on the www.isu.org site, you can find more details. (Some previous Golden Skate threads also have the information.)

ETA:
Each season, the SD requirements incl. a specific Pattern Dance (different for juniors vs. seniors). Also one rhythm is mandatory, I think (but am not sure), plus two additional optional rhythms are optional (again, different rhythms for juniors vs. seniors).
As the name suggests, the Free Dance requirements give the dancers more freedom -- at least in some ways -- with the content of their programs. But certain elements are required -- and again, the requirements are not exactly the same from year to year.​

Okay, thanks! :)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Okay, thanks! :)

Duh, sorry for the typo. I meant to say, "... two additional rhythms are optional."

Don't know if you are aware that Skate Canada International (one of the six senior Grand Prix competitions of the season) is happening as we speak. Cup of Nice (a Senior B competition) also is in progress.

So ... many GS members might be quite preoccupied for the next couple of days.
If you don't need the information a.s.a.p, I think that it is very possible that responses from others (who know much more about ice dance than I do) eventually will trickle in.

(If/when I have a chance to come up with answers that are more authoritative than what I already wrote, I will post again in this thread.)

If what you ultimately need are answers to more specific questions that those you already posted, I think giving us the specific questions would help.
For instance, I think you said before that your character are junior ice dancers.
Is it safe to say that you do not care about the senior-level requirements?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
nikkiscott, FYI if you are still checking this thread:
I happened to stumble upon a blog that has some basic information about the judging system for ice dance. See the thread below for a link to it.

ETA:

Doris now has added a post to the other thread -- in which she provides links to GoldenSkate's own Reference threads re ice dance. :)

In particular, one of the threads in her post discusses the Finnstep, which is the pattern dance this season for Senior SDs:

One of the posts in the Finnstep thread has a link to the ISU document, "Ice Dance Technical Requirements Season 2013-14," which is an 8-page PDF (covering both Junior and Senior ice dance, IIRC).
It should spell out answers to your two questions that I have quoted above.​

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
If you mean the guards to protect their blades - they are called skate guards. As for practice, it is almost like a full time job. They have little social life and not much time for other interests. What is the name of your book?