What are Christina Gao's chances of making the American Olympic team? | Golden Skate

What are Christina Gao's chances of making the American Olympic team?

Mao88

Record Breaker
New article on Christina Gao entitled: "Christina Gao ready for Olympic season". Reads:-

Christina Gao may have placed fifth in the past four U.S. Championships, but this year she’s hoping to break that streak by finishing in the top three and go on to represent the United States at the Winter Olympics.

The 2012-2013 season was full of break-out moments for Christina. She finished second at Skate America and fourth at Trophee Eric Bompard to qualify for her first ISU Senior Grand Prix Final. She did this all while taking a full course load at Harvard University.

Christina will start her quest for Sochi with the Nepela Trophy in Slovakia in October, followed by Skate Canada and Trophee Bompard Paris in the ISU Grand Prix Series.

So, what are Gao's chances of making it on to the U.S. team? I think Gold and Wagner will definitely make it on to the team. However, the third spot is very much up for grabs and Gao is in with a good chance.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think a lot of skaters have a chance, and that's in all positions.

Overall, I don't think we US fans have a lot of medal favorites. Obviously we have some good prospects, but other than D/W, I wouldn't bet on any other medals. I'm happy if I'm surprised.

Anyway... aside from that, the events seem to be really packed.

You could make reasonable arguments for a half dozen men and ladies, at least four dance teams, and maybe more than that many pairs teams.

Who will have that breakthrough performance at Nationals??? It remains to be seen.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I would have Courtney and Agnes ahead of Christina as far as odds of making the team, if only because the USFSA seems to strongly favor Agnes over Christina. Courtney has been of fire as of late.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I really think Gao and Agnes have the skills. Agnes is not a tiny pwetty pwincess. It goes against her in the pageantry of the sport. But I think she can put out a nice program. If she had the confidence, she'd do well as her jumps are really smooth. I like her skating. I think Gao is more the complete package, and I can see her on podium this year. I really hope that Ashley recovers her confidence. She skates with much expression, but she can get slow and nervous. If she does not attack her jumps, she is in trouble. Anyone seen her skate lately?

I really like Hicks and Edmunds, as well as Cesario. I think it is wide open, but I cannot see USFSA putting any of these skaters before Ashley with her experience and her last shot at Olympic team, nor backing off Gracie, with her Potential to outjump the world when YuNa quits. I personally want to see Gracie and Ashley go. I would feel so bad if Ashley fell apart.

Does anyone think Alyssa could pull of 3rd place? I think USFSA adores this sweet girlish princess and I can see them backing her. This year Nationals is all about the OLY team and it really does not have to even be the top 3, or does it? Are they obligated to pick top 3? What about is number 4 is a favorite and usually does well, but blows it due to nerves? I have not followed any Alyssa threads so have no clue what kind of shape she is in.

I'm bummed not to see two of my faves Kiira and YuNa on the GP. It is hard to believe, with my year, the season is here. May the injuries be healed, and may we have another glorious ladies final like 98, 2010, others.

Realistically, I don't think Alissa is in the picture. :cry: In the TSL inyterview with her coach Yuka Sato, Sato did not sound optimistic at all.

My personal bet is on Courtny Hicks. I thought she should have taken third at nationals last year ahead of Agnes, and she already has a strong opening performance this year.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Does anyone think Alyssa could pull of 3rd place? I think USFSA adores this sweet girlish princess and I can see them backing her. This year Nationals is all about the OLY team and it really does not have to even be the top 3, or does it? Are they obligated to pick top 3? What about is number 4 is a favorite and usually does well, but blows it due to nerves? I have not followed any Alyssa threads so have no clue what kind of shape she is in.

I don't think 4th has any shot of going unless Ashley or Gracie have an incredible GP season and for some reason bomb at Nationals to finish 4th. Assuming the top two spots are taken, no one else has the results to merit a bump over the 3rd place finisher.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gracie is not a lock considering how she looked in SLC and with her coaching situation. She's still prone to bomb and needs to become a better competitor.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Well, Gao has the consistency I think (she really skated a lot of almost-clean programs last season, the only ones that she really bombed were the TEB and GPF SPs), she needs better spins (and she said that she's been working a lot on them) and 7 triples in the FS: if she can achieve this, she can make it to the Olympic team, ahead of a FS-bombing Zawadzki for example...

mskater93

Record Breaker
Gracie is not a lock considering how she looked in SLC and with her coaching situation. She's still prone to bomb and needs to become a better competitor.

We will see. I have an inkling of how FrankC coaches since my coach is a former student of his and I can see how this could definitely be a match made in heaven with his style and her personality.

Nadia01

Final Flight
I'm not optimistic that she can go to Sochi. I don't think she can make the kind of improvement she needs to make the team.

But she can (maybe) make it if Ashley and/or Gracie get injured.

Well, the U.S. has three ladies' spots. Somebody has to grab that third spot even if Ashley and Gracie both skate well.

Right now, I don't think anyone's position, even Ashley's, is a given.

GGoldberg

Match Penalty
I think the fact that Christina has chosen to stay with a short program that is comfortable with, and had success with last season, will play to her advantage in no insignificant way. If she can position herself well during arguably the make it or break it short program, she will be in a position of strength.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I answered to the thread previously, but now I want to revise my answer.

No. I don't think she'll make the Olympic Team. At least not while a full time student, assuming she's taking her studies seriously.

My son is a college freshman, an engineering student. He's at a good school, but it's not Harvard. I know how much time he invests in reading, research, labs, homework, other assignments (tonight, a symphony concert for a music class)... I don't think it's possible for someone to do all that and STILL maintain the training schedule required of an Olympic figure skater.

My prediction: she skates ok, but no Olympic team. There will be too many with a laser focus.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
No. I don't think she'll make the Olympic Team. At least not while a full time student, assuming she's taking her studies seriously.

My son is a college freshman, an engineering student. He's at a good school, but it's not Harvard. I know how much time he invests in reading, research, labs, homework, other assignments (tonight, a symphony concert for a music class)... I don't think it's possible for someone to do all that and STILL maintain the training schedule required of an Olympic figure skater.

Christina has taken time out of her studies for this year to focus on skating. I think she has a shot at a place on the Olympic team, though a long one.

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2013/02/a-league-of-her-own/

Mao88

Record Breaker
Christina Gao's Short Program from the Ondrej Nepela Trophy 2013. She is currently in 4th place after posting a score of 52.14 with her short program.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I'm very pleased to see she took my advice, smile. Last year I said she'd need to take a year off Harvard-wise decision. She has become an elegant woman out there. I think she has a good shot at Bronze-or better...her focus, her intelligence. She is lovely. Another Chinese beauty-not Lu Chen quite yet, but impressive. So fortunate-she and Rachel are the brainiest skaters we have at present.

I wish Miss Gao luck. Good decision for her!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think she stands a good chance. After all, she was able to make the GPF, so she is certainly in contention.

Also, it should be noted that she's essentially in a 4-way tie for 2nd, and less than 4 points shy of Gosviani at ONT after the SP.

Icey

Record Breaker
weren't all of her pcs scores at Nepela, including ss, in the 6 range? I like her, but think it iffy she will make the team.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The problem with Gao is nothing stands out with her skating. She has nice jumps but they are not big like Hicks or Gold and she doesn't command the ice like Wagner. It doesn't help that she seems to skate to the same kind of music either always something classical and slow. Yuna could skate to that music but everything she did was big and bold but with Gao it's a bit boring. Maybe she needs to shake things up and skate to something different.