Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What are Christina Gao's chances of making the American Olympic team?

Custom Title
    Christina Gao's Short Program from the Ondrej Nepela Trophy 2013. She is currently in 4th place after posting a score of 52.14 with her short program.

I'm very pleased to see she took my advice, smile. Last year I said she'd need to take a year off Harvard-wise decision. She has become an elegant woman out there. I think she has a good shot at Bronze-or better...her focus, her intelligence. She is lovely. Another Chinese beauty-not Lu Chen quite yet, but impressive. So fortunate-she and Rachel are the brainiest skaters we have at present.

I wish Miss Gao luck. Good decision for her!

Custom Title
    I think she stands a good chance. After all, she was able to make the GPF, so she is certainly in contention.

Also, it should be noted that she's essentially in a 4-way tie for 2nd, and less than 4 points shy of Gosviani at ONT after the SP.

Custom Title
    weren't all of her pcs scores at Nepela, including ss, in the 6 range? I like her, but think it iffy she will make the team.

Custom Title
    The problem with Gao is nothing stands out with her skating. She has nice jumps but they are not big like Hicks or Gold and she doesn't command the ice like Wagner. It doesn't help that she seems to skate to the same kind of music either always something classical and slow. Yuna could skate to that music but everything she did was big and bold but with Gao it's a bit boring. Maybe she needs to shake things up and skate to something different.

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie View Post
    Christina has taken time out of her studies for this year to focus on skating. I think she has a shot at a place on the Olympic team, though a long one.

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/stor...ue-of-her-own/
    OK. Thank you. I hadn't read this.

Sometimes bad skating happens to good people... LiamForeman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    I'm very pleased to see she took my advice, smile. Last year I said she'd need to take a year off Harvard-wise decision. She has become an elegant woman out there. I think she has a good shot at Bronze-or better...her focus, her intelligence. She is lovely. Another Chinese beauty-not Lu Chen quite yet, but impressive. So fortunate-she and Rachel are the brainiest skaters we have at present.

I wish Miss Gao luck. Good decision for her!
    Yep, what's an extra year, it's not like she NO chance at Sochi. And I agree, she really is beautiful. It's strange because she looks more like Shizuka Arakawa. Very regal.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    weren't all of her pcs scores at Nepela, including ss, in the 6 range? I like her, but think it iffy she will make the team.
    I just watched her program and she looked very slow, especially into the 2A.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamForeman View Post
    Yep, what's an extra year, it's not like she NO chance at Sochi. And I agree, she really is beautiful. It's strange because she looks more like Shizuka Arakawa. Very regal.
    You're right; she does resemble Shizuka. I like her as a skater, but it's tough to see how she can break away from the pack this year. In a way, that's a nice problem for American ladies' skating to have, but it does make it tense for the skaters themselves.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Where is the 3Flip-3Toe? She needs to be doing it. I really don't think she has a good chance without it.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Where is the 3Flip-3Toe? She needs to be doing it. I really don't think she has a good chance without it.
    I think she meant to try it in the FS but then only did a 2t when the flip landing was off. Last season when she wasn't trying the 3f-3t, she had two 3t in her FS, both in the 2nd half with one in combo, and no 3s. She did a 3s (well, she fell on it, but did attempt it) in her program today, and 3s isn't her best jump so I think that means she's trying to put the 3f-3t into her FS.

I also wonder if the goal is to eventually put the 3f-3t into her SP as well, because I'm a little curious as to why her solo jump is 3lo. She struggled with it in the SP last season and historically it has not been one of her better jumps. Her 3f is a beauty, so I think if she was committed to 3t-3t as her combo in the SP, she'd be doing 3f as her solo jump, but the fact that she isn't is making me think she's keeping her options open for trying a 3t-3t or 3f-3t in the SP. Not entirely sure, but it would seem to make sense. Otherwise she'd be training two 3-3 combos which wouldn't be the most practical, and she didn't open with a 3t-3t in her FS either so that's why I think the 3f-3t may be coming.

Custom Title
    After watching Christina's two recent performances, I understand better why she is viewed less favorably compared to Gracie and Agnes. She looks rather slow on the ice and does not generate as much power or excitement to match the music she is skating to. When I first saw her LP I liked that she was trying something different, but now I think the music is going to overwhelm her.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    I also wonder if the goal is to eventually put the 3f-3t into her SP as well, because I'm a little curious as to why her solo jump is 3lo. She struggled with it in the SP last season and historically it has not been one of her better jumps. Her 3f is a beauty, so I think if she was committed to 3t-3t as her combo in the SP, she'd be doing 3f as her solo jump, but the fact that she isn't is making me think she's keeping her options open for trying a 3t-3t or 3f-3t in the SP. Not entirely sure, but it would seem to make sense. Otherwise she'd be training two 3-3 combos which wouldn't be the most practical, and she didn't open with a 3t-3t in her FS either so that's why I think the 3f-3t may be coming.
    My guess is that Christina has difficulty with doing steps before her flip, so that's why she does the loop in the SP. I thought her track record with the loop was pretty decent last season, not sure what you're referring to. I think she landed it cleanly in all but one event.

Perhaps it was the injury she had over the summer, but Christina looks like she regressed in many aspects of her skating since last season. Lots of jump problems, her footwork was sluggish, and her spins weren't good either. Her final combo spin in the FS was not good at all.

I agree last season she looked better. But it is early, let's hope she improves by Nationals-esp her speed and flow and her spins need much improvement. Maybe that school/skating balance fred her spirit. Let us hope it is simply early in the season and she will be adding the difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by LiamForeman View Post
    Yes, Christina reminds me a lot of Shizuka Arakawa... Very similar style on the ice, and they even look alike

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast