And what of Mirai Nagasu? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

And what of Mirai Nagasu?

FlattFan

Match Penalty
It goes back to having solid technique. When you are in doubt about anything, your program, your costume, the only thing that will get you through it is your solid technique. It gives you the confidence you need to finish the program.

Her technique is not good. And when the pressure is on, she can't land her jumps anymore. It's unfortunate.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It goes back to having solid technique. When you are in doubt about anything, your program, your costume, the only thing that will get you through it is your solid technique. It gives you the confidence you need to finish the program.

Her technique is not good. And when the pressure is on, she can't land her jumps anymore. It's unfortunate.

Even solid technique is not enough sometimes. Gracie has good jump technique yet struggles to land jumps at times because she lets her nerves take over.

GGoldberg

Match Penalty
This is one difficult sport folks. The new system makes it just as possible for underdogs to rise as it does for those with expectations to fall. It is a journey. Hers has been tough the past few years. Here's to hoping she has peace in her heart and a fighting spirit to get her through what will be a moment of a lifetime Nationals.

b-man

Final Flight
2. Her body has changed since 2010. At times it seemed (and I think) she wasn't in ideal shape. However, now (as someone else said) she is in shape. Despite this, she has a woman's body and there's no way she is going to get rid of it without starving herself. Those are the breaks.

I agree with the rest of your post, but don't agree that Mirai hasn't been in shape. She had a relatively loose fitting skating dress in 2012-2013 seasons, which led people to believe she was overweight and out of shape. She has a tighter fitting dress this season, and people think she is suddenly in shape. I saw her in person the last 3 nationals, as well as a couple of GP's. She has been in shape every year. She has some of the other problems you mention, but being out of shape is not and has not been one of them.

b-man

Final Flight
You don't become a champion by skating not to lose. A champion skates to win.

Ideally, that is how is should work. I think Czisny in 2011 Nationals skated cautiously, but it was still a beautiful performance. Wagner in the last half of her 2013 Nationals FS skated very cautiously, after her two falls she skated not to lose, and it didn't cost her anything. I agree with drivingmissdaisy, that Mirai skates too cautiously in her FS's, expecially at nationals.

noskates

Record Breaker
I think Mirai's exhibition program is just beautiful. I'm impressed with Adam Rippon's choreography. It's a stunning piece of music anyway and she interpreted it quite well IMO. I've always loved Mirai. But she's another one who skates with her head instead of her feet. I always felt she just never landed with the right coach - that person that could help with her confidence and get her back to consistency. Nobody in skating has a prettier smile!

mskater93

Record Breaker
I don't think it is a fear of success as much as a fear of making major mistakes.

Ah, but most sports psychologists will tell you that a fear of making a mistake is actually a fear of success. (And they write it in their various books as well). Competitive skating is 90% mental. Once you've done the training and you are taking the ice to compete, it's muscle memory and focus.

macy

Record Breaker
Ah, but most sports psychologists will tell you that a fear of making a mistake is actually a fear of success. (And they write it in their various books as well). Competitive skating is 90% mental. Once you've done the training and you are taking the ice to compete, it's muscle memory and focus.

this could not be more true. i remember my coaches telling me this so many times. consistency is key, that's what consistency drills and double run throughs are for. competing is all about muscle memory. you HAVE to rely on your training because once you go out for competition, that's all you have.

i do remember reading that mirai had problems with not being focused while training...this makes sense with not competing so well.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Ah, but most sports psychologists will tell you that a fear of making a mistake is actually a fear of success. (And they write it in their various books as well).

I'm not sure I under the concept of "fear of success," although I have heard of it. Is it a fear of doing well and achieving your goals, or a fear of the lifestyle change that results from success? Neither make sense to me. Nonetheless, we do agree that she skates fearfully and too cautiously.

I agree with Macy that training may be the problem. I have seen her in practice videos and the rotation of her jumps looks shaky at times.

macy

Record Breaker
I'm not sure I under the concept of "fear of success," although I have heard of it. Is it a fear of doing well and achieving your goals, or a fear of the lifestyle change that results from success? Neither make sense to me. Nonetheless, we do agree that she skates fearfully and too cautiously.

I agree with Macy that training may be the problem. I have seen her in practice videos and the rotation of her jumps looks shaky at times.

i think it is more of the fear of mistakes. when you have a lead you don't want to make mistakes, and you have added pressure on you from the audience, judges, etc. more than the other competitors do, and i think it's a combination of all of that. you get scared. when you don't trust your training and you start thinking and come out of the moment, you start trying too hard and rushing things and start popping, falling, coming out of jumps sooner, etc. and it's so hard to come back from that. so many times you just fall apart.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Huh?

I don't think she was in any position to win in Vancouver, and I didn't think her free skate there was that awful. Am I missing something?

I thought she sort of blew it away in Torino, but I blamed it on the long season & fatigue.

:think: Her free skate in Vancouver was terrific. She rose up to fourth with that skate. But anyway, that was then. I'd love more than anything for her to get something of that back but we'll see. I think her body also changed (again) after Vancouver and that might have been difficult to adjust to.

Nadia01

Final Flight

Fear of success usually happens b/c you aren't fully committed to achieving your goal & what it means to you & those around you.

So for example --

Skater Susie Awesome is talented enough to be a US Champion. But she's seen the pressure a lot of US champions are under these days to get the 3 spots back, win an Olympic medal, etc. She's also seen how cruel journalists, fans, etc. can be when the leading US lady doesn't deliver. So even though she wants to win the Nats, a small part of her (whether she knows / acknowledges) is fearful/apprehensive about it. So her mind basically does its work of screwing things up, so she'll make some silly errors she would not have made otherwise and not win.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Fear of success usually happens b/c you aren't fully committed to achieving your goal & what it means to you & those around you.

OR you are afraid of what happens next. I mean you set this goal and once you achieve THAT, THEN what?!

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I like Mirai and wish I could say I was cheering for her to get that 3rd U.S womens Olympic spot, but I honestly cant say I am as I would rather someone who never had that experience and might be their only shot to get it instead. Someone like Gao or Zawadzki. That said if Mirai skates great at Nationals (the only way she is getting near the team at this point) and makes it, I will be happy for her as well. She has gone through alot of up and downs since her Vancouver and Worlds breakthrough that year. It would be a real sign of character to even contend for that spot, let alone attain it at this point.

In my ideal World Gold wouldnt even make the team and 2 out of Gao, Zawadzki, Nagasu, Czisny would make it, but I know that probably wont happen. Sorry I respect her skating and acknowledge she is in reality 1 of the 2 best U.S skaters now and deserves that status, but Gold just doesnt do it for me at this point.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Sorry I respect her skating and acknowledge she is in reality 1 of the 2 best U.S skaters now and deserves that status, but Gold just doesnt do it for me at this point.

I do think that some of us, myself included, feel like the USFSA is pushing Gracie on us too hard. She does a lot of things really well but her programs are hard for me to watch because it just feels like I'm watching someone do tricks while music is playing. It's pretty clear they don't want a real challenger to her this year, as Courtney didn't even get any GP assignments initially, but with a few good up-and-comers I just hope the USFSA gives them a fair chance to win.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Courtney didn't get GP assignments because of her ISU ranking (out of top 24), not because USFS doesn't want her to "challenge" Gold. USFS COULD have given her SA as a host pick, but that would have meant she would be challenging WAGNER not Gold as Wagner's going to SA.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Courtney didn't get GP assignments because of her ISU ranking (out of top 24), not because USFS doesn't want her to "challenge" Gold. USFS COULD have given her SA as a host pick, but that would have meant she would be challenging WAGNER not Gold as Wagner's going to SA.

True. I do think she should have gotten the host pick based solely on her 4th place finish when, at the time of that decision, she had no assignments.

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
There's a rumor going around that she may be retiring after this season. Does anyone know if there is any validity to this claim? :confused:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
There's a rumor going around that she may be retiring after this season. Does anyone know if there is any validity to this claim? :confused:

I haven't heard that but I wouldn't be surprised at all. She hasn't improved in three seasons and the young up-and-comers are getting better.