Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: And what of Mirai Nagasu?

Sometimes bad skating happens to good people... LiamForeman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I remember the year she and Caroline Zhang were presented to us on TV as the next big thing. They were tiny little girls, undersized thirteen-year-olds or so, and it looked pretty sure that they would be our champs after Kwan and Cohen left the scene. I still have a soft spot for them both, but I'm sorry that their weaker jump technique has been the one enduring trait from those early years.
    Yeah, me too. The puberty monster has a way of sidetracking a promising career. The thing is, I thought Mirai had solid technique and skated with speed whereas I don't think anyone would have predicted Caroline keep her jumps once she grew a bit and she always skated so slowly. I thought Mirai looked really good this past week, but she's just not going to get the benefit of the doubt RE UR's.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamForeman View Post
    I am a big fan of Mirai, but she will not get any marks internationally.
    But she has done better internationally in recent years than at Nationals. She got a bronze at NHK last year, behind Mao and Akiko. She will have to earn her spot for sure, but I don't think there is any reason to hold her back if she does.

Custom Title
    senior ladies FS scores 2013-2014 season:
    Wagner 119 Japan Open
    Hicks 117
    Nagasu 110
    Cesario 109
    Gold 106
    Cain 104
    Gao 100
    Zawadzki 95

And a cople other FS scores from Japan open.

Sotnikova 105
    Murakami 102

Custom Title
    The URs continue to be a beast for her. I agree with the other posters, I think she gets judged too harshly in that area compared to other ladies. It's like the technical caller is trying to hit some sort of quota in URs and downgrades. I think she has good programs this year. In the sp and lp I feel like she started to create some special moments. The spread eagle into double axel was pure delight, and everything from the final triple loop to the end of her freeskate was fast and exciting. She even had the audience into it, and you kind of got the sense that she knew that.

Her scores here were higher than last year and some of the best for a US lady so far. It's still technically the preseason, but that's worth something. Almost every US lady has a demon to overcome. The question is which ladies will rise above them. I'm hoping to see Mirai build at each event this year.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by b-man View Post
    Wagner 119 Japan Open
    Hicks 117
    Nagasu 110
    Cesario 109
    Gold 106
    Cain 104
    Gao 100
    Zawadzki 95

Sotnikova 105
    Murakami 102
    What an interesting list! That makes me look twice at her possibilities for sure.

Custom Title
    I wouldn't get too excited about scores from B Internationals. They tend to be inflated in comparison with scores from GPs and Senior ISU Championship events.

Mirai had only 3 fully rotated triples in her Finlandia FS. I doubt she would get 110 in a GP for that FS.

Quote Originally Posted by samson View Post
    The URs continue to be a beast for her. I agree with the other posters, I think she gets judged too harshly in that area compared to other ladies. It's like the technical caller is trying to hit some sort of quota in URs and downgrades. I think she has good programs this year. In the sp and lp I feel like she started to create some special moments. The spread eagle into double axel was pure delight, and everything from the final triple loop to the end of her freeskate was fast and exciting. She even had the audience into it, and you kind of got the sense that she knew that.

Her scores here were higher than last year and some of the best for a US lady so far. It's still technically the preseason, but that's worth something. Almost every US lady has a demon to overcome. The question is which ladies will rise above them. I'm hoping to see Mirai build at each event this year.
    I agree with this; I thought she looked fantastic and confident this weekend. Hope she can build on that!

Sometimes bad skating happens to good people... LiamForeman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
    I agree with this; I thought she looked fantastic and confident this weekend. Hope she can build on that!
    She did, but how discouraging to have all your jumps downgraded. She's getting no favors. I think she is being picked upon. I still don't see the THREE UR in her winning skate at 2010 Nats. Thank god she still made the Olympic team despite these totally random UR's. Big fan of Mirai, and just want her to skate well and be happy after each performance. She looked darn good this week. But face it, at USN she's going to get a million downcalls.

Custom Title
    Although she does get a lot of UR calls, all of her triples (even when they get credit) look close to URed. Someone else mentioned she has a pronounced hook on her landings and this is absolutely true. I don't think she is getting "picked on". Rather, she has developed a reputation for URing and every jump is going to be scrutinized by the caller.

What I do think is unfair is whether a jump is URed affects the GOE. I feel like the judges should judge the jump as they see it, and the technical panel should judge the rotation and the edges. You often have a scenario when a jump might earn +1 but when it is determined to be URed it gets -2, which seems unfair to me.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    I wouldn't get too excited about scores from B Internationals. They tend to be inflated in comparison with scores from GPs and Senior ISU Championship events.

Mirai had only 3 fully rotated triples in her Finlandia FS. I doubt she would get 110 in a GP for that FS.
    Why? She got almost 104 last year at CoC and had zero triples there.

Quote Originally Posted by burntBREAD View Post
    Why? She got almost 104 last year at CoC and had zero triples there.
    +1

I honestly believe that if Mirai could get her 'spark' back she'd be consistently posting 120+ point programs even with the UR issue. Her PCS would rise I think a full point each if she could skate with the energy/spirit that she used to, and her GOEs would also go up, particularly on her spins.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by samson View Post

ITA with this. Without staring at the protocol, Mirai delivered two strong performances at Finlandia. I thought she looked much better there than she has in the past. She showed more life and a glimpse of a spark in both programs, especially at the end of her FS, which is much better since we first saw it earlier this season. Mirai is really fighting; she's going for all of the jumps, she's standing up on them and that's good. The URs are an issue and b/c she has the reputation of being a chronic URer all of her jumps will continue to be judged under a microscope. I don't think there's anything she can do about that at this point other than do her best to rotate as many triples as she can.

I hope she's not too discouraged by the scores she's getting. If anything that should inspire her to fight even harder. Her performances were good and if she can build on those, she'll be in good shape by nationals.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by b-man View Post
    Wagner 119 Japan Open
    Hicks 117
    Nagasu 110
    Cesario 109
    Gold 106
    Cain 104
    Gao 100
    Zawadzki 95

Sotnikova 105
    Murakami 102
    And that, ladies and gentlemen, is what we call perspective.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post

If Mirai's 110 FS is inflated because its a senior B, OK. Then Gao's 100 score and Agnes's 95 must also be inflated, as they are also from senior B's.

Not saying Mirai should score as well as Mao, but a quick check shows Mao got a 118 for a 3 triple FS at CoC last year. I remember Lepisto got a 114 in her FS, along with a world bronze, at 2010 worlds with 3 triples, so a 110 for Mirai with 3 ratified triples doesn't look out of line.

Mirai has such a spark when she wants to. She has a spunky, fun personality and it shows through her skating and I think that makes her such an enjoyable skater to watch. Her 2010 national LP is a good example of that spunk shining through.
    Maybe she has too much on her plate or she is feeling tremendous pressure and she can't be free in her programs.
    I think she is a very good skater and would love to see her bounce back and win and have a great season.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast