Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: And what of Mirai Nagasu?

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadia01 View Post
    Huh?

I don't think she was in any position to win in Vancouver, and I didn't think her free skate there was that awful. Am I missing something?

I thought she sort of blew it away in Torino, but I blamed it on the long season & fatigue.

Her free skate in Vancouver was terrific. She rose up to fourth with that skate. But anyway, that was then. I'd love more than anything for her to get something of that back but we'll see. I think her body also changed (again) after Vancouver and that might have been difficult to adjust to.

Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    I'm not sure I under the concept of "fear of success," although I have heard of it. Is it a fear of doing well and achieving your goals, or a fear of the lifestyle change that results from success? Neither make sense to me. Nonetheless, we do agree that she skates fearfully and too cautiously.

I agree with Macy that training may be the problem. I have seen her in practice videos and the rotation of her jumps looks shaky at times.
    Fear of success usually happens b/c you aren't fully committed to achieving your goal & what it means to you & those around you.

So for example --

Skater Susie Awesome is talented enough to be a US Champion. But she's seen the pressure a lot of US champions are under these days to get the 3 spots back, win an Olympic medal, etc. She's also seen how cruel journalists, fans, etc. can be when the leading US lady doesn't deliver. So even though she wants to win the Nats, a small part of her (whether she knows / acknowledges) is fearful/apprehensive about it. So her mind basically does its work of screwing things up, so she'll make some silly errors she would not have made otherwise and not win.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadia01 View Post
    Fear of success usually happens b/c you aren't fully committed to achieving your goal & what it means to you & those around you.
    OR you are afraid of what happens next. I mean you set this goal and once you achieve THAT, THEN what?!

Custom Title
    I like Mirai and wish I could say I was cheering for her to get that 3rd U.S womens Olympic spot, but I honestly cant say I am as I would rather someone who never had that experience and might be their only shot to get it instead. Someone like Gao or Zawadzki. That said if Mirai skates great at Nationals (the only way she is getting near the team at this point) and makes it, I will be happy for her as well. She has gone through alot of up and downs since her Vancouver and Worlds breakthrough that year. It would be a real sign of character to even contend for that spot, let alone attain it at this point.

In my ideal World Gold wouldnt even make the team and 2 out of Gao, Zawadzki, Nagasu, Czisny would make it, but I know that probably wont happen. Sorry I respect her skating and acknowledge she is in reality 1 of the 2 best U.S skaters now and deserves that status, but Gold just doesnt do it for me at this point.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Sorry I respect her skating and acknowledge she is in reality 1 of the 2 best U.S skaters now and deserves that status, but Gold just doesnt do it for me at this point.
    I do think that some of us, myself included, feel like the USFSA is pushing Gracie on us too hard. She does a lot of things really well but her programs are hard for me to watch because it just feels like I'm watching someone do tricks while music is playing. It's pretty clear they don't want a real challenger to her this year, as Courtney didn't even get any GP assignments initially, but with a few good up-and-comers I just hope the USFSA gives them a fair chance to win.

Courtney didn't get GP assignments because of her ISU ranking (out of top 24), not because USFS doesn't want her to "challenge" Gold. USFS COULD have given her SA as a host pick, but that would have meant she would be challenging WAGNER not Gold as Wagner's going to SA.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    Courtney didn't get GP assignments because of her ISU ranking (out of top 24), not because USFS doesn't want her to "challenge" Gold. USFS COULD have given her SA as a host pick, but that would have meant she would be challenging WAGNER not Gold as Wagner's going to SA.
    True. I do think she should have gotten the host pick based solely on her 4th place finish when, at the time of that decision, she had no assignments.

Always supporting skaters :) 100yen's Avatar
    There's a rumor going around that she may be retiring after this season. Does anyone know if there is any validity to this claim?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by 100yen View Post
    There's a rumor going around that she may be retiring after this season. Does anyone know if there is any validity to this claim?
    I haven't heard that but I wouldn't be surprised at all. She hasn't improved in three seasons and the young up-and-comers are getting better.

Custom Title
    And there is always school and a future away from skating

Custom Title
    I think Mirai is done. She isn’t competitive with the top ladies, because of her tendency to underrotate jumps. Even “clean” performances from her will suffer multiple deductions.

As for Gracie, she is all hype and no substance. Several American girls are better than her, but for some reason, the media doesn’t focus on them.

Practically every US girl is better than her from an artistic/PCS standpoint. Her programs are horrible (musically and choreographically), and she has no musicality. I don’t think she’ll ever interpret music well, because she is so stiff and her movement is so unrefined.

Several American girls have better technical content than she does, too. Courtney Hicks and Polina Edmunds have more difficult jump layouts, and Angela Wang has a comparable one. Gracie has not improved her technical content in over three seasons, despite repeated statements that she was fixing the edge on her 3F or moving the 2A-3T to the second half of her program. And she cannot execute her recycled jump layout in competition, because she is a headcase who cannot control her nerves.

Both are non-factors at Nationals, if the competition is scored fairly.

Custom Title
    She will skate at Finlandia tomorrow 10/05. I understand there will be live streaming and it will not be geo blocked. Hope that is right.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
    I think Mirai is done. She isn’t competitive with the top ladies, because of her tendency to underrotate jumps. Even “clean” performances from her will suffer multiple deductions.

As for Gracie, she is all hype and no substance. Several American girls are better than her, but for some reason, the media doesn’t focus on them.

Practically every US girl is better than her from an artistic/PCS standpoint. Her programs are horrible (musically and choreographically), and she has no musicality. I don’t think she’ll ever interpret music well, because she is so stiff and her movement is so unrefined.

Several American girls have better technical content than she does, too. Courtney Hicks and Polina Edmunds have more difficult jump layouts, and Angela Wang has a comparable one. Gracie has not improved her technical content in over three seasons, despite repeated statements that she was fixing the edge on her 3F or moving the 2A-3T to the second half of her program. And she cannot execute her recycled jump layout in competition, because she is a headcase who cannot control her nerves.

Both are non-factors at Nationals, if the competition is scored fairly.
    You really think a clean Gold will be a non-factor at Nationals? That's insane.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    You really think a clean Gold will be a non-factor at Nationals? That's insane.
    Agreed. It isn't about the jump layout as much as executing your elements well. Yuna doesn't even have a top 10 BV but gets so much GOE that she gets among the highest TES anyway.

Sometimes bad skating happens to good people... LiamForeman's Avatar
    I feel badly for Mirai because she peaked four years ago, and she has just been muddling through the last few years. The caller seems to watch her jumps like a hawk, so no benefits there. And she just hasn't looked happy. I hope when she retires this year that she can look back and see how successful her career was. US Jr.Champ, US Sr.Champ at 14, Olympian, top ten at Worlds and Olys. It's just ashame she didn't raise her skating to the highest level. I do not see her as a factor at all this year sad to say.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast