Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Flatt comeback plans-- heading to Cup of Nice

Flatt comeback plans-- heading to Cup of Nice

Per Lynn Rutherford:
    2010 U.S. champion Rachael Flatt is entered in Cup of Nice, Oct. 23-27. Kira Baga; LengLeduc; CalalangSidhu of U.S. also entered.

I guess something should go into the Cup of Nice thread. Not clear if this gives her a bye through either regional or sectionals. Probably just a way for her to get the minimal TES scores.

Also isn't the competition that Alissa was looking to do?

ETA: I have posted a separate thread for Cup of Nice in the Senior B folder.

I don't "think" this gives her a bye since there are 8 days between the end of Central Pacific Regionals and the start of Cup of Nice. Rachael recently switched clubs so she is now in Central Pacific Region. What Sylvia told me on another board was that generally there are byes when the events are within 7 days of each other. I suppose, though, that exception can be made. I think your guess is correct and it is a way for Rachael to earn the minimal TES scores.

Cup of Nice was mentioned by Alissa's coach Jason D. as being talked about. He didn't specify, as far as I remember, who was doing the talking - Alissa, USFSA, or ISU. Apparently Alissa isn't competing at Cup of Nice since she isn't listed. She must be competing at Eastern Great Lakes Regionals.

Go Rachael!! (I frankly don't think that she actually has any Olympic shot, but it would be nice to see her skating well again)

Is she taking a break from Stanford this semester? It would seem rather ambitious to go for both a comeback and continue her studies at the same time. But, best of luck to her.

Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    Is she taking a break from Stanford this semester? It would seem rather ambitious to go for both a comeback and continue her studies at the same time. But, best of luck to her.
    I think it depends on her goal: if she wants to make it to the Olympics, she should definitely take a break, if she just wants to skate, try her best and nothing else (what she did during the last couple of seasons) she shouldn't...

Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    didn't a recent article posted here a month or so ago have her saying she's taking a full load?

Banned
    Oooh, how cool for her to have the opportunity to compete internationally. Go Rachael!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Not clear if this gives her a bye through either regional or sectionals. Probably just a way for her to get the minimal TES scores.
    Just curious, if she doesn't get a bye what would be the purpose of getting a qualifying score?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    I think it depends on her goal: if she wants to make it to the Olympics, she should definitely take a break, if she just wants to skate, try her best and nothing else (what she did during the last couple of seasons) she shouldn't...
    I am sure she knows she has NO shot at the Olympics. So there would be no point taking a break. She is doing this just for fun and to enjoy being at NAtionals one last time if she can qualify.

Custom Title
    Doing this just for fun??????? You have to be kidding.

What's wrong with having fun?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    Just curious, if she doesn't get a bye what would be the purpose of getting a qualifying score?
    She can go to regionals and sectionals, qualify for Nationals, and then if she places high enough at Nationals she might be assigned to Four Continents, Worlds, or Olympics (in that order of likelihood).

But she would need to have met the ISU minimum score in order to compete at any of those events.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    What's wrong with having fun?
    Well, if "having fun" means not studying for months, spending a lot of money and dedicating your whole life to skating (because this is basically what she's going to do if she's "taking a full load") when you know that you have 0.0000001% chance to go to the Olympics and all this just because you love skating... well, I wouldn't probably do it!
    But, if she can afford it, good for her, and I wish her all the best! If she skates REALLY well, I think that she could go to 4CC or (if some of the Olympic-team members WD) even to Worlds... It would be interesting to see her again in a big event: after all, she's only 21!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    I am sure she knows she has NO shot at the Olympics. So there would be no point taking a break. She is doing this just for fun and to enjoy being at NAtionals one last time if she can qualify.
    I think she thinks she has a shot. And with three spots, she does. It may be small but that doesn't mean it is non-existent.

Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    Well, if "having fun" means not studying for months, spending a lot of money...
    Sounds like fun to me.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast