Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Flatt comeback plans-- heading to Cup of Nice

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Sounds like fun to me.
    Only if you have the money

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    I think she thinks she has a shot. And with three spots, she does. It may be small but that doesn't mean it is non-existent.
    The reason I think she has no shot is that the judges can (and likely will) bury her in PCS, even if she skates well.

Banned
    she will be competing here with Gao ?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    I am sure she knows she has NO shot at the Olympics. So there would be no point taking a break. She is doing this just for fun and to enjoy being at NAtionals one last time if she can qualify.
    No pressure here, she is skating for herself and isn't expecting much
    to get an Olympics spot, Im sure she knows, her PCS will be in 5's

i'm just happy she's coming back, i miss her so much. she's one of my favorite skaters and i miss her joy on the ice.

Custom Title
    The ROCK is back. If only Alyssa or Gold had her ability to attack. How awesome would that be?

On the Ice
    Except when injuries interfered (with training, strength, confidence) what an incredibly consistent athlete and yeah, ROCK of a competitor. Lot to admire with that girl. Wishing her well.

Custom Title
    Really wishing Rachael well, I have always been a supporter of hers. If she wants to come back more power to her Good for her that she got an international assignment

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    What's wrong with having fun?
    Nothing, but I think she is doing it for more than just that. She is putting herself through quite a lot to just be doing it for fun.

Custom Title
    Her season is unfolding like someone who has ambitions and high standards. This is something we have always known and admired about Rachael. Perhaps the relative lack of pressure on her this season will actually provide her with the freedom to truly enjoy every moment of this season. She has been through it all, at every level of this sport. The way her seasons ended 2 and 3 years ago, with injuries and disappointment, were certainly not the way any athlete who had been at the top (Olympian) would want to "finish their journey" so to speak. This season, to me, sounds like a "peace" tour. Peace and satisfaction for herself, her family who have obviously supported so completely for years, and those who have always believed in her. It must actually be both bittersweet and a very special kind of job. I hope each time she steps out onto the ice, she feels the embrace of the moment, regardless of how many triples she gets 'credit' for, scores she gets or placements that result.

Quote Originally Posted by Celine View Post
    Except when injuries interfered (with training, strength, confidence) what an incredibly consistent athlete and yeah, ROCK of a competitor. Lot to admire with that girl. Wishing her well.
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterB View Post
    The ROCK is back. If only Alyssa or Gold had her ability to attack. How awesome would that be?
    Absolutely agree! One thing that I LOVED about Rachael was that (unless she was injuried or something like that) you knew that she was going to go out there and land all her jumps, she was so confident and so solid (the reason that makes me appreciate a lot D/C, too, for example...)! Even at SA last year (when she was clearly not perfectly trained) she had only two mistakes (with "mistake" here I mean popping/falling/stepping out etc. not low quality) out of ten jumps in two programs!

Custom Title
    I think Rachael is becoming her own skater this time round. She is doing her own choreography. She is not having to listen to the so-called experts who wanted to change her personality and even her hair color and cut. I was really surprised that her team and family even listened to that nonsense. I can only imagine what dealing with that does to a skater. This time I believe she will be marching to her own drum. I am looking forward to seeing her as much as anybody who is scheduled to compete this year.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterB View Post
    Gracie's problem isn't that she doesn't attack she just rushes things to much. She's much more aggressive on the ice then Alissa has ever been.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    Doing this just for fun??????? You have to be kidding.
    Well if that isnt the reason she is coming back then she shouldnt coming back at all. Since if she thinks she actually has a shot to make the Olympics then ROTFL! It is about on par with Evan thinking he can defend his OGM. I think she is a smart girl who is realistic about her current status and chances (unlike Evan who is up surrounded by white unicorns and fluffy clouds), which is why I would give her the benefit of the doubt and presume she is coming back just to have fun and go out on her own terms, without wild fantasies of making the Olympics or anything that is well beyond realism at this point.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Rachael knows the political ins and outs of skating better than any of the US ladies. She went from being a pampered USFSA pet to being dropped like a hot pan in the span of a year. The judges (both nationally and internationally) will do her no favors. She has zero pull now so I'm sure she knows her chances of getting on this Olympic team are nonexistent. She's probably skating b/c she wants to have fun, soak up the Olympic trial atmosphere, and possibly do a couple of interviews or something about the Olympics. A spotlight shines on figure skating only once every 4 years so why not take advantage of that. After all, she is an Olympian; she could give some advice to the ladies who make it on the team this year. Of the entire US ladies field, only she and Mirai know what it's like to participate in the Olympics so that insight could be very good for a fluff piece.

One of two things would have to happen for Rachael to make it on the team: (1) nationals would have to be the biggest splatfest in history, or (2) she'd have to return to her 7-triple 2010 form, which is not going to happen. Even if she skates well at nationals the judges will hold her down in PCS to keep her out of the top 3 spots. Maybe if she was really good they'd give her the pewter medal but she will not be top 3.

She's coming back to have fun and enjoy the experience, and I say more power to her. I've never been a fan of Rachael's but I do admire her hard work and love for the sport.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast