Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Flatt comeback plans-- heading to Cup of Nice

Rinkside
    Rachael does not need Nice to achieve minimum technical scores for the Olympics.

She already achieved Olympic minimum technical scores (SP-20; LP-36) at 2012 Skate America (SP-20.93; LP-47.44).

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny852003 View Post
    Rachael does not need Nice to achieve minimum technical scores for the Olympics.

She already achieved Olympic minimum technical scores (SP-20; LP-36) at 2012 Skate America (SP-20.93; LP-47.44).
    Ah, thanks! It looks like she also has the minimum for Worlds in the FS but not the SP. Obviously, it's highly unlikely she will go to Worlds, but hey it doesn't hurt to have the minimal score just in case.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    Well, if "having fun" means not studying for months, spending a lot of money and dedicating your whole life to skating (because this is basically what she's going to do if she's "taking a full load") when you know that you have 0.0000001% chance to go to the Olympics and all this just because you love skating... well, I wouldn't probably do it!
    But, if she can afford it, good for her, and I wish her all the best! If she skates REALLY well, I think that she could go to 4CC or (if some of the Olympic-team members WD) even to Worlds... It would be interesting to see her again in a big event: after all, she's only 21!
    Wow, she is no longer a teenager. Lipinski, Baiul,Hughes, Hughes were all finished by basically 16 or s0 - this is five years over the hill lol.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    I think Rachael is becoming her own skater this time round. She is doing her own choreography. She is not having to listen to the so-called experts who wanted to change her personality and even her hair color and cut. I was really surprised that her team and family even listened to that nonsense. I can only imagine what dealing with that does to a skater. This time I believe she will be marching to her own drum. I am looking forward to seeing her as much as anybody who is scheduled to compete this year.
    I am no sure how serious we should take this comeback so to speak - choreographing your own routines - she wasn't known for her artistry. WHat is with these skaters Czisny, Evan, Flatt -do these people have a problem fading out of the limelight. If they don't watch it they will get kicked out.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    I am no sure how serious we should take this comeback so to speak - choreographing your own routines - she wasn't known for her artistry. WHat is with these skaters Czisny, Evan, Flatt -do these people have a problem fading out of the limelight. If they don't watch it they will get kicked out.
    Kicked out of what? Regionals? Sectionals? Ice Shows?

And as trying to stay in the limelight, I don't get that vibe from Rachael at all. We have heard relatively little from her regarding her comeback except that she signed up to compete at regionals and that she got the Cup of Nice spot. She's talked more about her career plans than her comeback, from where I stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post

And as trying to stay in the limelight, I don't get that vibe from Rachael at all. We have heard relatively little from her regarding her comeback except that she signed up to compete at regionals and that she got the Cup of Nice spot. She's talked more about her career plans than her comeback, from where I stand.
    This. Not at ALL a Flatt fan but if she has the money and desire she is certainly entitled to keep skating competitively at whatever level she can and for whatever reasons she wants to. I don't see why this is all causing such a stir. It's her business and hers alone at this point, and I also think you'd be hard-pressed to back up an assertion that she's longing for the figure skating limelight. The last interview I saw from her was published in a Stanford publication run by her classmates.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    This. Not at ALL a Flatt fan but if she has the money and desire she is certainly entitled to keep skating competitively at whatever level she can and for whatever reasons she wants to. I don't see why this is all causing such a stir. It's her business and hers alone at this point, and I also think you'd be hard-pressed to back up an assertion that she's longing for the figure skating limelight. The last interview I saw from her was published in a Stanford publication run by her classmates.
    I agree. I'm interested to see how she does, with her own choreography and a little more maturity. She obviously loves skating and has achieved a lot already. If she wants to come back, why would anyone question it?

Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Wow, she is no longer a teenager. Lipinski, Baiul,Hughes, Hughes were all finished by basically 16 or s0 - this is five years over the hill lol.
    Well, Kostner had her worst season ever when she was 22/23 but then came back and won... well, everything

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    Well, Kostner had her worst season ever when she was 22/23 but then came back and won... well, everything
    Sarcasm my friends, sarcasm lol. I mean remember Maria Butyrskaya - and people she BEAT Kwan - fair and square. She skated like a woman not a girl trying to be a woman (and a woman scorned by her country and her name was not EVita!)

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post

Seriously, there are people who are in the mid- upper- 20's still skating a Regionals who have/had nowhere near the arsenal Flatt had/has (even if it's somewhat diminished - don't know, haven't seen her skate) who have NEVER made it beyond Regionals. Should they be kicked out too?

Custom Title
    While I do not personally like Rachel's skating, I do admire her. This is someone who achieved more than she should have given her abilities and deficiencies. I will be rooting for her in Nice.

Gambatte, Max Aaron/"No letting off the gas pedal" golden411's Avatar
    Former Olympian Flatt aims at comeback the hard way
    By Nicholas McCarvel, NBCOlympics.com
    Oct 10, 9:15am EDT
    http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/form...eback-hard-way

Custom Title
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIchxLULi0E

2012–2013

"Contrabajissimo"
    by Astor Piazzolla
    "The Firebird"
    by Igor Stravinsky

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    You said it! Good for Rachael that she wants to continue, and I'll look forward to seeing her compete.

Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Former Olympian Flatt aims at comeback the hard way
    By Nicholas McCarvel, NBCOlympics.com
    Oct 10, 9:15am EDT
    http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/form...eback-hard-way
    Too cute that she and Gao are friends in real life. That gives me hope for the world.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast