Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Flatt comeback plans-- heading to Cup of Nice

Custom Title
    Rachael got only 0.41 less than Alissa and would have beaten her by quite a bit if she hadn't popped the lutz. Rachael did get L4 on her step sequence (Alissa got L2).

Rachael has never been able to do a decent layback because of her back problems, but she got L3 and L4 on her other spins.

skating philosopher
    Sort of interesting that Alissa go a 28+ for a program that did not have a single clean triple (and a fall), four points more than Rachael here.

I get it, jumps shouldn't factor into PCS scores, but I'd be interested to see both programs to see what Alissa did to merit much higher PCS.

On the positive side, Rachel got a level 4 in footwork and some decent +GOE. (+1 and +2 one gave +3). The layback seems to be her nemesis.

Currently frozen as a popsicle Chemistry66's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Rachael has never been able to do a decent layback because of her back problems, but she got L3 and L4 on her other spins.
    I've always found it interesting that she has done some pretty nice layback Ina Bauers (especially in her Moulin Rouge gala program at the first WTT, I think, that I can't find a video of anymore), despite the back issues.

Custom Title
    Rachel scored 89.66 in her LP. I wonder if she was holding back?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemistry66 View Post
    I've always found it interesting that she has done some pretty nice layback Ina Bauers (especially in her Moulin Rouge gala program at the first WTT, I think, that I can't find a video of anymore), despite the back issues.
    She did a very nice, beautiful Ina in her sp at 2011 4cc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD8xLQxytkA

Custom Title
    Here's her protocol....

http://www.usfigureskating.org/leade...s/results.html

Only two triples....lutz and salchow, both in combination.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by Sjs5572 View Post
    Here's her protocol....

http://www.usfigureskating.org/leade...s/results.html

Only two triples....lutz and salchow, both in combination.
    Well better than none. And good for landing her lutz.

Another level 4 on the footwork. She got nice GOE on both the footwork and the spiral.

That 3.00 in transitions has to be an error...

Custom Title
    Yes, it is 5.44, mrs. P. she's on her way!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    i actually REALLY like this. good job rachael on the choreo! she knows how to make the audience feel something...

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    Yes, it is 5.44, mrs. P. she's on her way!!!
    No, one of the judges gave her a 3.00 in transitions, but 4's and 5s in everything else, so I think it was a typo or something.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    No, one of the judges gave her a 3.00 in transitions, but 4's and 5s in everything else, so I think it was a typo or something.
    Possibly. Or possibly that judge thought that there weren't many transitions in the program, the quality or difficulty was weak, a lot of the elements were telegraphed, etc. Haven't seen the program, and we're not in that judge's head, so we don't know. But if we want judges to judge the separate components separately, we can't complain when they actually do so.

Custom Title
    Was hoping to see a better outing for Rachel.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterB View Post
    Was hoping to see a better outing for Rachel.
    Me too. However, the goal was achieved, qualify to Sectionals.

However her competition at sectionals will be stiffer. As far as I know, Angela Wang, Caroline Zhang and Vanessa Lam only have byes through regionals and will be at Sectionals. Mirai will have a bye through Nationals thanks to her GP schedule and Polina Edmunds has a bye due to making JGPF.

Custom Title
    We've seen her do at least three different triples this year (3Z, 3F, and 3S) so theoretically she can do at least 5 in an LP. That should be enough to get to nationals at least if she can pull the jumps off.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Rachael got only 0.41 less than Alissa and would have beaten her by quite a bit if she hadn't popped the lutz. Rachael did get L4 on her step sequence (Alissa got L2).

I think trying to spin this as Rachael doing much better than Alissa at this point is kind of disingenuous. Both are clearly struggling with the jumps. Rachael popped a bunch of hers, including a single axel and a single toe loop. While we've seen rachael hit some triples this year (including here) if she can't land more of them in competition she's in big trouble too. In both the short and long program, she only managed to hit 3 total. Compared to Alissa she has quite low PCS. Despite the fact that you can't compare events, I think that their similar scores would still have been similar if they'd been at the same regionals competition. The only difference is that we have confirmation that Rachael can hit triples around 1 try in 3.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast