Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Oct 23-27, Sports Palace Jean Bouin - Esplanade de Lattre de Tassigny

Event page here: http://www.nice-baie-des-anges.fr/nicecup

Entry list here: http://www.nice-baie-des-anges.fr/nicecup

Results page not here yet.

Some interesting story lines here:

** Rachel Flatt will be making her international competition return here. This is her first international competition since she competed at Skate America a year ago.
** Melissa Bulanhagui and Alisson Perticheto will be both competing here. It's too late RE: getting an Olympic spot, but you can bet that Melissa has something to approve to the federation she believes screwed her over.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Monko/Khaliavin again :disapp:

they are crazy, they should be dumping these two
I will never understand this overpromotion :mad:
not to mention the disturbing height of Ksenia Monko

SaraM

Final Flight
Country
Norway

sky_fly we get it you dont like them, you mentioned it a 10000 times on the boards already...

bramweld

Record Breaker
Look given what we've seen from S/Z and S/D, M/H may not be the most artistic skaters, I find them somewhat flat myself, but you cannot doubt the crispness and sharpness of their skating. Maybe they'll be inspired here.

Mattieu

Medalist

Give it a rest sky_fly20, it's becoming so boring all this hating on couples with similar height!
It's so damned difficult to find a partner that sometimes these skaters have to make compromises and accept a partner that isn't the "ideal" size, level etc.
If these skaters didn't make these compromises, then there would be even less couples on the dance circuit.
Is that what you want, for talented girls to have to end their careers just because you don't like there being a small height difference?

lcd

Match Penalty
Still no videos which get rid of the stutter live feed. Any better luck anyone?

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Is this a recurring problem for him? And if so, does anyone know why that is?

Issues with the federation asking for paperwork with substantial time to clear it + Ge being in other countries (seems he's in China right now) etc

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
My guess is the primary problem is his Federation not dealing with paperwork early enough. Unlike skaters from western countries that get visa-free access to a lot of places on the planet, Uzbekistan nationals have to deal with much more documentation to get visas. Uzbekistan needs to identify the competitions he is going to for the season early on--at least the ones under their complete discretion--and get the ball rolling early. Cup of Nice would have been one such example. Likely he needs a formal invitation sent from the host federation in another country as part of the visa application documents. One of his tweets implies the French didn't send this for a long time, but it's unclear the sequence and dates of how this all happened.

I recall when an Uzbek ice dancing team competed at Nice for Worlds a couple of years ago, they very nearly ended up not going because of similar visa problems. Now it's possible the French just like to mess around with the Uzbeks for some unknown reason, but I tend to doubt it. Other countries requiring visas usually manage to get their skaters to their competitions in decent order. I'd finger the Uzbek bureaucracy somewhere for this one. Perhaps the current set of paper-pushing functionaries are just lazy or careless--I don't recall Tatiana Malinina having these issues years ago when visa restrictions would have been even tighter on Uzbek passport holders.

Ge being in another country while needing a visa application processed shouldn't have any major bearing on this. He would have known well in advance that he was going to be in China during a national holiday week when everything (including the French Embassy/Consulates and the associated visa application centres) would have been shut or on skeleton staffing. Again, it seems to reflect disorganization on the part of him and/or his Federation.

hanca

Record Breaker

:rolleye: sky_fly20, you are like a broken record. Keep saying the same thing around and around and hoping that it will become the truth! :biggrin: But surprise, surprise, the skaters don't seem to take on board your negativity and haven't split up yet. :laugh: If the height is not a problem for them, I am not quite sure why it should be a problem for you. It is not like if you were the one who is lifting Monko!

cynthia24

On the Ice
Yes there will be a live streaming! There was one last year too! I will be there on friday and Saturday, looking forward for it!!

Icey

Record Breaker
One day they showed the countdown to beginning of the competition. That's a feature I wish more competitions had.

It looks like the way the light is coming through the windows and into the faces of the skaters and onto the ice would be problematic for the skater.