Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Will Ando make the Olympic Team?

Custom Title
    If I recall correctly, selection of the team involves quite a bit of politics and is a decision made by the federation. Thinking back to Miki's own experience back in 2006 when she finished like 5th or 6th at Japanese Nationals, but was still chosen for the team over medalist Yukari Nakano.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    I'm just saying people are being really quick to say Ando will surely beat Murakami and Suzuki.
    I don't think anyone believes it is a certainty that Miki would beat Akiko or Kanako, just that she is capable of doing so. Honestly, I think both Kanako and Akiko are more likely to medal in Sochi than Miki (not that I give any of them much of a chance to do so). But none of them can bomb at Japanese Nationals and make the team either.

Custom Title
    I'm not an Ando fan but I'm impressed by what she did so far. I start to like her since last time she got her title. I think she comes a long way in presentation aspect, and she has been a good jumper. Given the pace she's recovering from the absence/giving birth, I'm positive she's going to make enough progress to be competitive at her nationals. Not sure if she could be No.1, that's a strange requirement to me. So I would guess she is more likely to medal, but not going to the olympics. If she can go to World and win that would be nice too.

BTW, she didn't get her titles in a weak field, she beat Yuna I both times if I remember it correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilvskating View Post
    I'm not an Ando fan but I'm impressed by what she did so far. I start to like her since last time she got her title. I think she comes a long way in presentation aspect, and she has been a good jumper. Given the pace she's recovering from the absence/giving birth, I'm positive she's going to make enough progress to be competitive at her nationals. Not sure if she could be No.1, that's a strange requirement to me. So I would guess she is more likely to medal, but not going to the olympics. If she can go to World and win that would be nice too.

BTW, she didn't get her titles in a weak field, she beat Yuna I both times if I remember it correctly.
    Yes and no. She beat all the top three ladies both times (Asada, Kostner and Kim), but they weren't exactly at their best.

Custom Title
    japanese team= asada, suzuki and ando!
    murakami for 2018...
    she won´t beat ando!! kanako is the queen UR :(

Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    Yes and no. She beat all the top three ladies both times (Asada, Kostner and Kim), but they weren't exactly at their best.
    And it's pretty clear Miki's not at her best right now. Her spins are atrocious and footwork sections slow. Best of luck to her, though. It's about time she had glamorous non-Morozov'd costumes.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by luisARG View Post
    japanese team= asada, suzuki and ando!
    murakami for 2018...
    she won´t beat ando!! kanako is the queen UR :(
    Murakami received no UR call last year.
    And it's 100% sure Murakami receives higher PCS than Ando this year.
    Bet your money on Asada and Murakami. After all, it's Japanese nationals.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    I agree with this and others who said no. Let's say Ando finishes 4th at the nationals. Will they send her to 4CC or Worlds, if not all top three are sent? Or will they send someone like Imai or Miyahara?

Custom Title
    This season's world team is unpredictable. Asada could opt out if she wants to make the Olympics the culmination of her career. They can decide who to send after examining results from 4CC, Jr worlds, and the Olympics. For Ando, Japanese nationals will be her last competition.

My predictions are
    Olympics - Asada, Murakami, Miyahara
    4cc - Miyahara, Hongo, Imai
    Jr worlds - Kato, Sakamoto
    Sr worlds - Murakami, Suzuki, ??

Custom Title
    Suzuki's worst score of the last season is 158 pts at National sports festival. It's obvious that she easily crumbles under pressure, especially when she feels that the judges are not on her side. That's why I'm very positive about the same thing happening at Japanese nationals.

Beating Ando's 162 pts doesn't matter anyway. Ando is not a factor from the beginning. All parties (Ando herself, JSF, TV, sponsors) are just trying to gain some profits from the "comeback mother athlete" story.
    It's interesting how some people are quick to suggest Miki is a threat after one competition at Nebelhorn (in which she only landed 4 triples and had weak spins at that), and everyone keeps going back to Suzuki's poor Worlds showing as if she hadn't got 2 silvers on the GP and 3rd at the GPF and skated lights out at WTT, and certainly outskated 9 skaters who all placed ahead of her at Worlds.

Skaters go up and down. If we looked at Denis Ten's season prior to Worlds we would have all written him off. Amodio came 2nd at Euros with excellent skates, but bombed at Worlds. Mao was 3rd at Worlds and 5th at World Team Trophy.

As for whether JSF would send Miki over a higher placing Murakami and Suzuki at Japanese nationals, I don't think so. If Suzuki or Murakami bombs to 5th and Miyahara places 3rd and Ando 4th, I can picture them potentially giving Ando the 3rd spot. That's a lot of ifs though.

The answer to the question is: probably not, but she does have a shot contingent on Suzuki and Murakami skating poorly and having poor GP showings, and Ando herself returning to form. That being said, she had a really good start at Nebelhorn and I'm sure people would have crucified her comeback had she actually bombed, so I'm glad she's still in it.

The reality is, she has the potential to be one of the bigger comebacks this year and has shown that she's committed to make the Olympic team or at least giving it a shot, which is commendable.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    If Suzuki or Murakami bombs to 5th and Miyahara places 3rd and Ando 4th, I can picture them potentially giving Ando the 3rd spot.
    That is never happening. Ando can't meet any selection criteria if she doesn't make the podium.
    Judging from Ando's PCS at Nebelhorn, she can't expect any PCS advantage against Miyahara. Also Suzuki can't expect BIG PCS advantage against Miyahara. I expect the higher TES will gain the third spot, as the past cases with Nakano vs Suzuki of four years ago, and Mura vs Oda of last year.

Custom Title
    That is never happening. Ando can't meet any selection criteria if she doesn't make the podium.
    Judging from Ando's PCS at Nebelhorn, she can't expect any PCS advantage against Miyahara. Also Suzuki can't expect BIG PCS advantage against Miyahara. I expect the higher TES will gain the third spot, as the past cases with Nakano vs Suzuki of four years ago, and Mura vs Oda of last year.
    I dunno... Russia was stupid enough to let 5th place Kovtun go... so a 4th place Ando who is a 2-time World Champion going instead of a higher-placing Miyahara isn't entirely out of the realm of possibility.

Custom Title
    look at this!!
    http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc..._FS_Scores.pdf
    two UR in her FS.. both loops!

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    No way whatsoever that second Loop deserved a call. Still pisses me off.

Custom Title
    Kovtun is considered to be the future of Russian men, also he has backing from Tarasova. Ando doesn't have any expectations for future (needless to say, the chance for a medal) and strong political supports.
    TV Asahi has special commitments to her but they are not so cozy with the JSF like Fuji TV. Some of the JSF people might have been irritated by TV Asahi's blatant promotion of Ando. It's reported that TV Asahi (which bought the broadcast rights of Nebelhorn) had urged the ISU (German federation) to give an invitation without knowledge of the JSF.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast