Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 139

Thread: Will Ando make the Olympic Team?

  1. #76
    Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    3,890
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Clearly, Murakami had the better showing at Worlds, but Suzuki had a far better season, with a better GP, making the GPF and medaling in the GPF, beating Murakami head to heat at 4CC, and winning the WTT.
    Murakami should have placed 1st and 3rd at her Grand Prix events and had a spot in the final. She also should have placed over Suzuki at 4CC.

    Not to mention that Murakami did far better at Japanese Nationals.

    Akiko is great, there's still a chance she could be in the mix for an Olympic medal, but she probably peaked in 2012. Her jumps became less stable last season and I don't see them returning to the level they used to be at.

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Murakami's results are marred by her continuing habit of underrotating jumps.
    Phantom underrotations, sure.

  2. #77
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,845
    Kanako is lovely, but Murakami's URs are legit. The rulebook states anything of 90 degrees underotation or more should be called, and she has numerous jumps that often have that. What reason would the judges have to call phantom URs on her that they dont on others. It would make no sense.

  3. #78
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    72
    awful new FS for Murakami!!! 5th in japan open!! miki goes sochi!!

  4. #79
    Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    3,890
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    What reason would the judges have to call phantom URs on her that they dont on others.
    Reputation judging. There's no way her second 3Lo at Worlds deserved the <. NO WAY.

    And Kostner's blatantly < 3Toe in the SP didn't get called.

  5. #80
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,101
    Two things about Murakami's second 3Lo:

    a) it was iffy, and could have actually been UR'ed when the tech specialist slow-mo'ed it on replay.
    b) even if was called as rotated, it wouldn't have made a difference in the final results.

    Kostner's 3T not being called as UR was pretty ridiculous though as it was much more obvious than some of Kanako's URs.

  6. #81
    Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    3,890
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Two things about Murakami's second 3Lo:

    a) it was iffy, and could have actually been UR'ed when the tech specialist slow-mo'ed it on replay.
    It wasn't iffy at all. It was a very good Triple Loop, no question. You can see on the replay that even the very tippy top of her toepick is in the air at the 1/4 turn mark - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSNHk2GcISU . Also, the "1/4 turn mark" is relative to where a skater leaves the ice. She doesn't even take off perpendicular to the side board, she takes off a little bit before that point, which means the "1/4 turn mark" should actually be seen as slightly further back. Jumps also have a natural ride-out of 1/2 rotation on the landing. Look at where her skate is exiting the jump. Even the sound of the landing is correct to my ear!

    Her first 3Lo was iffy but I don't believe that one was even more than 1/4 turn either, when you look at where she actually leaves the ice. Callers are supposed to give the benefit of the doubt. Of course, if they don't properly measure where a jump actually begins, then they are going to be off. They basically just call jumps as < when they see a skid on the landing, which is not correct. Jumps can be within the 1/4 and still have some skid on the landing (of course they can be underrotated and still appear smooth on the landing as well).

    If Murakami's jumps had been judged as 3Lo+2T with 0 GOE and 3Lo with +1 GOE, and Kostner's 3T in the SP had been called <, the standings actually wouldn't have changed solely based on the tech mark. You are correct about that. Kostner would have still won the Silver over Mao by a little over .1 of a point and Murakami still would have been behind Mao. However, these bad tech calls are just one part of the problem. I feel Kostner and Asada were both overly gifted in the PCS as well. If you lower those scores by just a few points in total, between both the SP and LP, then Murakami is the Silver medalist.

  7. #82
    Custom Title cinnamon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    318
    Miki won SP at All Kanto. The first 3L-2R was clear, but 3L was ur. Some spins were better than Nebelhorn, some were not, according to the article.
    http://www.asahi.com/sports/update/1...310130203.html
    Most likely she is going to East Japan, and then Nationals.

  8. #83
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,101
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Phantom underrotations, sure.
    Say what you will, you and I and nobody else here has access to the close-up slow motion replays that the tech specialist sees. If several different tech specialists keep calling her out on URs, they can't all be ganging up on her. Hopefully she can get that extra spring on her jump that makes the full rotation less ambiguous because there's a reason she is consistently not getting the benefit of the doubt.

  9. #84
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    232
    Quote Originally Posted by cinnamon View Post
    Miki won SP at All Kanto. The first 3L-2R was clear, but 3L was ur. Some spins were better than Nebelhorn, some were not, according to the article.
    http://www.asahi.com/sports/update/1...310130203.html
    Most likely she is going to East Japan, and then Nationals.
    Miki landed two triples (both salchows) and scored 91.05 points in her LP (39.45 TES.) I am impressed with her progress so soon after giving birth, but that type of performance won't get her on Japan's Olympic team. If she can't land her triples, then she has nothing to offer. She is slow, her spins are really subpar, and her programs are totally devoid of any artistic value.

  10. #85
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,121
    When exactly will the team be chosen? Japan Nationals is usually right around the holidays/Christmas. But do they have some committee process for making a decision and is the decision during or immediately after Nationals? Timeline would seem to really matter as far as Miki is concerned.

  11. #86
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    297
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    It wasn't iffy at all. It was a very good Triple Loop, no question. You can see on the replay that even the very tippy top of her toepick is in the air at the 1/4 turn mark - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSNHk2GcISU . Also, the "1/4 turn mark" is relative to where a skater leaves the ice. She doesn't even take off perpendicular to the side board, she takes off a little bit before that point, which means the "1/4 turn mark" should actually be seen as slightly further back. Jumps also have a natural ride-out of 1/2 rotation on the landing. Look at where her skate is exiting the jump. Even the sound of the landing is correct to my ear!

    Her first 3Lo was iffy but I don't believe that one was even more than 1/4 turn either, when you look at where she actually leaves the ice. Callers are supposed to give the benefit of the doubt. Of course, if they don't properly measure where a jump actually begins, then they are going to be off. They basically just call jumps as < when they see a skid on the landing, which is not correct. Jumps can be within the 1/4 and still have some skid on the landing (of course they can be underrotated and still appear smooth on the landing as well).

    If Murakami's jumps had been judged as 3Lo+2T with 0 GOE and 3Lo with +1 GOE, and Kostner's 3T in the SP had been called <, the standings actually wouldn't have changed solely based on the tech mark. You are correct about that. Kostner would have still won the Silver over Mao by a little over .1 of a point and Murakami still would have been behind Mao. However, these bad tech calls are just one part of the problem. I feel Kostner and Asada were both overly gifted in the PCS as well. If you lower those scores by just a few points in total, between both the SP and LP, then Murakami is the Silver medalist.
    Why shouldn't you just accept the fact that she is prone to underrotaions? I watch her underrotated jumps on slow-motions and the result is that I always agree with the technical speciallist. The majority of her loops is cheated indeed as is often the case with her flips. When I look very closesly at slow-motions that are available e.g. on Eurosport or CBC I actually find that she is given the benefit of the doubt quite often.

  12. #87
    Custom Title cinnamon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    318
    http://www.asahi.com/sports/update/1...310140125.html
    She won that competition, but it is very hard for her to regain her power and energy. She confessed she was tired from the last competition in Germany. She is going to try to get enough time to practice.
    I started to worry about her health a little. Isn't it a good idea to take it easy, to take care of her health after giving birth?

  13. #88
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,101
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartek View Post
    Why shouldn't you just accept the fact that she is prone to underrotaions? I watch her underrotated jumps on slow-motions and the result is that I always agree with the technical speciallist. The majority of her loops is cheated indeed as is often the case with her flips. When I look very closesly at slow-motions that are available e.g. on Eurosport or CBC I actually find that she is given the benefit of the doubt quite often.
    I wouldn't say her flips are often UR'ed. Especially nowadays, she tends to get the necessary height on her flip to make the rotation. Her 3L though is always iffy and she's prone to hooking her landings. I'm surprised she doesn't go for a second 3S instead of a second 3L.

  14. #89
    Custom Title cinnamon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    318
    Miki failed to be qualified as a strengthening athlete by her federation for now. The reason is she is not at the level of Olympics. But if she will skate well in the next competition, East Japan in the beginning of November, she might be qualified.
    http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/olympic/201...htm?from=main6

    In the meantime she got an invitation from Icechallenge, which will be held in Graz, Austria in the end of November.
    http://www.asahi.com/sports/update/1...310160506.html

  15. #90
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    232
    Quote Originally Posted by cinnamon View Post
    http://www.asahi.com/sports/update/1...310140125.html
    She won that competition, but it is very hard for her to regain her power and energy. She confessed she was tired from the last competition in Germany. She is going to try to get enough time to practice.
    I started to worry about her health a little. Isn't it a good idea to take it easy, to take care of her health after giving birth?
    Why do you think her health is at risk? I think it is normal for her to be tired and lack stamina, given that she has been off the ice and hasn't competed in so long. But I don't see why it would risk her health.

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    I wouldn't say her flips are often UR'ed. Especially nowadays, she tends to get the necessary height on her flip to make the rotation. Her 3L though is always iffy and she's prone to hooking her landings. I'm surprised she doesn't go for a second 3S instead of a second 3L.
    Kanako's 3F is usually borderline rotated (around the 1/4 turn mark) at best. Her jumps are reviewed so often because her blade rarely lands totally backwards. I think she often gets the benefit of the doubt from the technical caller (For example, I thought the rotation of her 3T-3T and 3F in her SP at Worlds was very questionable) and gets credit for more jumps than she deserves.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •