Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Will Ando make the Olympic Team?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Based on the videos I have seen of her, her low PCS make sense. She is extremely SLOW right now, and her programs are empty. She is just focusing on the jumps and spins, and not even doing exceptionally well at those.

I cant see her making the Japanese Olympic team now unless Japan Nat. is the biggest splatfest it ever was, and she pulls something out of her hat that is amazing and totally unforseen. Even then she probably still wouldn't make it given that it has been said she has to win Japanese Nationals.

My prediction at this point would be about 8th place for her at Nationals.
    Wow... First you were touting her as essentially a guaranteed 2nd spot and now you're saying she'll be 8th?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Wow... First you were touting her as essentially a guaranteed 2nd spot and now you're saying she'll be 8th?
    I am talking about Ando, not Murakami. I never predicted Ando to make the team at any point, although now it is even more obvious she wont.

Murakami I did feel was fairly safe (not a mortal lock, but fairly safe) before this season after a 4th place at Worlds, but wow her skating or the scores she is getting are just going well for her so far. I still think she will make the team though.

Custom Title
    Ah, thanks for clarifying. I don't think Ando will make the team but I think she will place much better than 8th.

Custom Title
    It's November and she hasn't improved since Nebelhorn in September, still scoring about 150 overall. Japanese Nationals are a month from now. If she hasn't improved over two months, another month isn't going to make a difference. 150 points is about right for 8th place.

Custom Title
    New interview on her FB:

[Translation] She will compete at Golden Spin of Zagreb in Croatia. Official practice begins Dec 4.

"I plan a triple-triple in the SP. I aim for the Nationals. Still not at the level of two years ago. But I'm not rushing things. I will make improvement little by little."

Yuna Kim will be at the same event.

"To be at the same event with her will give me good input, motivation. Not at the level to compete with her. I want to move a bit closer to that level.

"I have tremendous respect for her. She keeps producing great results, even under huge pressure of being surrounded by media attention and her people's expectation. Feels like she's born to skate. Her skating has been growing, jumps are great too.

"Skating at the same event, each following one's own path."

The Zagreb event will be the international debut for her bid to return. Her story is getting closer to its conclusion. [End]

Custom Title
    The triple-triple she plans is 3t-3t. Miki apparently meant to land it at Ice Challenge, but it came out as 3t+2t.

Eleven skaters went for that combo in the Worlds 2013 SP. Seven attempts were successful; there were two falls and/or three URs and a downgrade.

Murakami competed at Aichi championships this weekend(sp only competition) and she only managed to score 53 and placed 3rd. I am not sure who else was competing though.

Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    Murakami competed at Aichi championships this weekend(sp only competition) and she only managed to score 53 and placed 3rd. I am not sure who else was competing though.
    Sad to hear that. Rumor has it, she is changing her programs. I hope is her SP because is horrid. Too demanding and she does not sell it. I love her SP last season, she should go back to that one. I still expect Murakami to make the team.

Custom Title
    I would be knock-down-dead surprised if Ando placed on the podium at Japanese Nationals. I think the people that are predicting her success are dwelling on what she's accomplished in the past. She's had a baby - that has to have had an impact on her ability to get back into competing shape. She hasn't competed. And she's not a spring chicken anymore. Unfortunately I think the odds are stacked against her. I hope Murakami makes the team!

Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    I would be knock-down-dead surprised if Ando placed on the podium at Japanese Nationals. I think the people that are predicting her success are dwelling on what she's accomplished in the past. She's had a baby - that has to have had an impact on her ability to get back into competing shape. She hasn't competed. And she's not a spring chicken anymore. Unfortunately I think the odds are stacked against her. I hope Murakami makes the team!
    Nope, I don't think any of us are dwelling on her past success. Most of us just want her to do well because she is making a very tough come back. It's very inspiring to me.

Custom Title
    Yes, it IS inspiring, but she's swimming against the tide. It's very difficult to come back to FS from childbirth. Yes, other skaters have done it, but not so much in singles at the elite level, and not in a country where the competition is so stiff.

Tatiana Navka did in in ice dance and won an OGM, but it was a couple of years between having the baby and returning to competition, and still more years between the return and the Olympics. At the time Navka returned, Lobacheva/Averbukh had retired and there was a bit of a vacuum at the top in Russia partly due to the flight of Russian coaches to other countries after the breakup of the Soviet Union.

After winning the 2008 World Championship in ice dance, Delobel/Schoenfelder missed the 2009 WC with an injury; Isobel Delobel became pregnant and had the baby in late 2009 and did return for the Olympics but the best they could do was 6th. In their case, at that time there was no major French competitor who could take their Olympic spot.

Custom Title
    I agree that time is working against Miki. She is a extremely talented and a terrific competitor, and she's made amazing progress in just a few months after having a baby, but I'm afraid she would need a few more months to get back in top shape. Having said that, I'd love her to prove me wrong! If she doesn't make it to Sochi, I hope she continues to compete a few more years, as I think she could well get on a Worlds podium again in the next couple of years.

Custom Title
    Curious to see how her 3/3 goes this week. Good, then things look promising to me.

Custom Title
    After midnight in our time already but assuming it's still December 18th in Europe and N America, "A Very Happy Birthday to Miki (just a coincident but a happy birthday to me, too )!!!"

And best of luck to her at the upcoming J-Nats. Gooo Miki!

On the Ice
    I have a soft spot for Miki so I hope she makes it, although I don't expect she will. But I'll cross my fingers for her.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast