Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Ashley Wagner decries Russian anti-gay law

Custom Title

News Ashley Wagner decries Russian anti-gay law

Ashley Wagner decries Russian anti-gay law
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...2463913.column
    I can't stay quiet," Olympic hopeful figure skater says of decision to speak out

Custom Title
    She can say whatever! But she is not willing to DO anything.

She is in no position to do anything assuming she wants to compete, which is pretty much clearly her lifelong goal and dream. I cannot judge her for that. I cannot imagine anyone in her position would be willing to 'do ' something. Further anything they might do would be pointless- they are not even Russian and certainly have no way to impact any Russian law. I think that at least she is willing to say something about an issue she feels strongly about rather than just let the Olympic Committee speak for her.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    She has done something but saying she opposes the legislation and by advocating that that people speak out against it. That's more than most athletes have dared to do. I truly applaud her stance on this.

I can't imagine her doing a demonstration of it (I doubt she would modify her costume, though that would be awesome). The point is, she isn't tucking her tail between her legs, and is actually sticking up for LGBT people and explaining why doing so is important to her, and the right thing to do in general.

This is good. Now I have someone to root for among the U.S. ladies.

Does it mean anything? Of course it does. If one person speaks out, the next thing you know two people will speak out.

Good for Ashley! I wish more athletes would speak out.

Custom Title
    It's interesting that the first response posted on a figure skating chat board was actually hostile towards a skater who spoke up about their views on this challenging and controversial topic. If athletes can't get at least some respect or support from THIS community for taking a risk, then it says more about people in this forum and community than it does about the athlete.

Custom Title
    Well her comment is basically saying no country should be hurt by passing a law that she finds personally offensive because she knows gay people nor should she have to give up anything in pursuing her dream even in a place thats offensive to her personally. so there are options for her and things she Could say like Olympics should be moved or whatever. It's fine to say fulfilling my personal dreams are more important to me than taking That includes going to Russia and campaigning against the law.

Custom Title
    It's fine to say fulfilling my personal dreams are more important to me than taking That includes going to Russia and campaigning against the law.
    Well she is a bit busy trying to make an Olympic team to drop everything and go to Russia campaigning against a law.

Yeah, good for her. No one's suggesting she's one of the greatest social activists in history or anything, and she doesn't have to be. But it's not meaningless either. Speaking out is "doing something" in a way. It gets out the idea that this isn't okay and people aren't obligated to play along and pretend that it is just to avoid ruffling anyone's feathers. And it's admirable to stick to your guns when you know what you say won't be well-received by everyone, and everyone else is hemming and hawing and walking on eggshells.

Custom Title
    Yes, I agree. Good for Ashley! I don't think she's strong enough to take on Mother Russia and back her into a corner, but just saying "This isn't right" is taking a step. She has a public voice, and she's using it. Maybe it's contagious.

As for whether this constitutes disobeying Russian laws, disapproval is not disobedience. After all, Putin criticized Obama and the United States right there in the New York Times.

Banned
    and their goes her OGM medal
    Karma will get back her at the onet of setting into the ice

the Russian cossacks will throw whip into her face
    goodbye Sochi medal.

let's see her campaign for gay rights in cossack, nogais, cherkesk, caucasian villages in Sochi
    and lets see how that ends up, lol

Custom Title
    Ashley Wagner doesn’t need to go protesting in Russia. She is a public figure, and she’s using her platform to support gay rights, despite knowing she will almost certainly get backlash for it. Despite figure skating have a reputation for loving gays, it’s not like that at all. See S. Hamilton’s recent TSL interview. Most other skaters will stay quiet or trot out the PR lines. It's very brave of Ashley to speak up.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by GGoldberg View Post
    It's interesting that the first response posted on a figure skating chat board was actually hostile towards a skater who spoke up about their views on this challenging and controversial topic. If athletes can't get at least some respect or support from THIS community for taking a risk, then it says more about people in this forum and community than it does about the athlete.
    I totally agree, but I'm not going to paint the whole forum with one foul stroke just because there are pessimists and bigots. Speaking up certainly does more than shutting up. I liked Wagner, but this really boosts her stock for me.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    and their goes her OGM medal
    Karma will get back her at the onet of setting into the ice

the Russian cossacks will throw whip into her face
    goodbye Sochi medal.

let's see her campaign for gay rights in cossack, nogais, cherkesk, caucasian villages in Sochi
    and lets see how that ends up, lol
    Dude, chill... she's not campaigning or demonstrating. She's speaking out her mind that what is going on there is wrong.

Also, Wagner probably isn't going to win gold anyways, and it's not because of her opinion... it's because there are those who will likely skate better. There are 9 judges and only 1 might be Russian, and what's he/she going to do, give her 0.5 less PCS? Ever thought that the ISU judges might have gay friends, be gay themselves, or be against the LGBT discrimination in Russia?

If karma actually did exist, Wagner WOULD end up winning the gold medal in Sochi thanks to her speaking out against discrimination.

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast