Ashley Wagner decries Russian anti-gay law | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner decries Russian anti-gay law

Thanks, Rallycairn.

Has anyone mentioned or seen this site, which deals with state policies on sex education in public schools? It's from the National Conference of State Legislatures, a pretty sober group.

http://www.ncsl.org/issues-research/health/state-policies-on-sex-education-in-schools.aspx

On this page, a chart presents each state's edict about sex education in elementary and high school. Many states make this curriculum optional, with participation dependent on written parental consent. All states require courses to be age-appropriate, and many states stress that they have to be medically accurate. They're taught largely in order to prevent the rising tide of sexual activity among teenagers. Here's part of a quote from the page: "...the United States still has the highest teen birth rate in the industrialized world. Three in 10 girls in will be pregnant at least once before their 20th birthday. Teenage mothers are less likely to finish high school and are more likely than their peers to live in poverty, depend on public assistance, and be in poor health. Their children are more likely to suffer health and cognitive disadvantages, come in contact with the child welfare and correctional systems, live in poverty, drop out of high school and become teen parents themselves. These costs add up, according to The National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy, which estimates that teen childbearing costs taxpayers at least $10.9 billion annually."

The report goes on to cite the proportionately high rate of STDs among teenagers. There is also a concern about preventing violence in any relationship, whether sexual or not, in young people. I think one out of four girls is the victim of some degree of violence or force from a partner or date.

As far as what you'll find about sexual matters in the rest of the school curriculum, remember that schoolbooks are often approved by state boards of education, and there are parents' groups watching like a hawk for anything that goes against their beliefs. In my experience, and I have written educational materials for the major publishers, it's hard to put anything in a textbook or classroom publication that is anything other than strictly G-rated, though high school textbooks have more leeway. (For example, there's stuff in Shakespeare that definitely ain't G-rated or even PG-13. Read Hamlet's first soliloquy on his stepfather Claudius.)

Keep in mind that just about the most influential school board in terms of determining text content is Texas, because it buys the most textbooks, and Texas is deeply conservative. In one book that was an anthology of fiction stories for an elementary school grade, we were not allowed to use the word "doggone," because it's a euphemism for an expression that takes the name of the Lord in vain. In fact, there was a light-hearted book called The Secret Life of the Underwear Champ that we were not allowed to use solely because its title mentioned underwear.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Here is the main page of the organization referred to in post 190 above.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com

Congratulations, Mathman! You have effectively made this website a laughing stock here! I have never gone to any of their pages other than the one I linked to.

You have not mentioned the other link in my same post. I am curious what you are going to say about this one? Here is the link:

http://www.massresistance.org/media/video/brainwashing.html

Bluebonnet, to say it another way, John says James is bad and evil because he tells underage children to steal. Susie tells the world James is evil and when asked for proof, says because John said so. But John never heard or saw James tell children to steal. But because John has a website saying so, then Susie and other like-minded people can cite John as a source and claim it is chilling and horrible to read about and James is evil. But John's website has nothing but John's word that James ever did anything wrong. No one has caught James on videotape, no evidence has been produced, etc. I really didn't see anything on those websites that had actual original source material. But maybe I missed it.

Thanks for going through the links. Yes, you have missed it. In the webpage you talked about, I have listened one audio about try out vegetable, there were audio recordings from the classroom with the voice explanations in betweens. Also, they provided a link to this site talking about the same fisting incidence and subsequent firing and the GLAD's law suit etc. You are not saying that the writer has made it up, and it has never happened, are you?

Also, in the first link in the same post of mine, which I have reposted in the above in this post, there is a two-part lengthy video completely recorded how homosexual education has done to the school kids as young as 5 or 6 years old.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Here is another article about homosexual propaganda in school:

Gay columnist: let’s face it, we want to indoctrinate children

While gay activists usually deny that they want to indoctrinate children, said Villarreal, “let’s face it—that’s a lie.” “We want educators to teach future generations of children to accept queer sexuality. In fact, our very future depends on it,” he wrote.

In fact, Villarreal said that his dream of increasing not only the acceptance, but the future practice of homosexuality among youngsters was common among those in the gay lobby.

Villarreal pointed to the tactics of a gay activist group FCKH8, which fought a recent Tennessee bill prohibiting classroom discussion of homosexuality in grade school by “hir[ing]some little girls to drop F-bombs” in their controversial online ad campaign, and handing out gay paraphernalia to schoolchildren. “Recruiting children? You bet we are,” he said.

The above article was talking about this article from your beloved website queerty.com:

Can We Please Just Start Admitting That We Do Actually Want To Indoctrinate Kids?

They accuse us of exploiting children and in response we say, “NOOO! We’re not gonna make kids learn about homosexuality, we swear! It’s not like we’re trying to recruit your children or anything.” But let’s face it—that’s a lie. We want educators to teach future generations of children to accept queer sexuality. In fact, our very future depends on it.

Recruiting children? You bet we are.

And I would very much like for many of these young boys to grow up and start ******* men. I want lots of young ladies to develop into young women who voraciously munch box.

I and a lot of other people want to indoctrinate, recruit, teach, and expose children to queer sexuality AND THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I've changed my mind about responding:

Congratulations, Mathman! You have effectively made this website a laughing stock here! I have never gone to any of their pages other than the one I linked to.
You think Mathman is the one who made that site a laughingstock? :laugh:

If you choose to use a ridiculous website as your source, don't be surprised when people don't take your arguments seriously.

The above article was talking about this article from your beloved website queerty.com:

Can We Please Just Start Admitting That We Do Actually Want To Indoctrinate Kids?
You really missed the point of the column in Queerty. The writer isn't saying that he wants to somehow "recruit" kids into being gay (as if that were possible); he wants to teach kids that being gay is fine so that straight kids will accept and help their gay peers and gay kids will feel safe and confident in who they are. The idea is to make the straight kids allies rather than adversaries, so that they will be accepting and supportive of those who are LGBT.

Of course, considering the meaning you assign to the language he uses, I'm not surprised you chose to (deliberately?) misinterpret his argument. In fact, if you look at the comments, quite a few people felt that his attempt to reclaim the language used to attack gay rights was problematic.

Congratulations, Mathman! You have effectively made this website a laughing stock here!

I posted a link to the site without comment.

You have not mentioned the other link in my same post. I am curious what you are going to say about this one?

Here is the home page of this organization.

http://www.massresistance.org/index.html

It is important to know the agenda of the individuals and organizations that contribute their points of view to this debate. The first site has a rather extreme born-again Christian agenda, while the second has the sole purpose of promoting anti-gay issues. The motivation and bias of the sponsoring organizations must always be taken into account when we evaluate their arguments, and even their purported statements of fact.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
The motivation and bias of the sponsoring organizations must always be taken into account when we evaluate their arguments, and even their purported statements of fact.

As of every website including Queerty.com, or even Yahoo news, and all major media outlets in America.

Can you and Olympia honestly say that there was no recruiting in young children in America?

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Well, I honestly don't think there is recruiting, just avoiding denial that orientations besides hetero exist. Not trying to make someone a particular orientation (as others have said, if that is even possible) but just to make sure that all orientations feel non-aberrant, normal, accepted, valued members of society, etc.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Here is another article about homosexual propaganda in school:

Gay columnist: let’s face it, we want to indoctrinate children

Sorry, the ads for miniature Fetal Models and replica fetus feet - Precious Feet - were too distracting. :laugh:

As mentioned, I can assure you the Queerty author, while writing a rather poorly worded article - did not mean recruit as it make kids gay. It meant recruit straight allies who don't discriminate and maybe even prevent bullying. If you teach kids that homosexuality isn't something to be bullied for then not only will less kids stop doing that, but more kids will stand up for those who are bullied for their sexuality (whether legit or perceived).

I frankly don't care if kids turn out gay or straight. I don't want more gay kids or less straight kids or vice versa. I want a kid to be able to grow up without facing bullying or discrimination of their classmates. I want kids who hear another kid - or heck, even an adult - use a gay slur to tell them that it is inappropriate and homophobic.

The author isn't saying he wants all kids to grow up gay or lesbian... he says that should they happen to identify as gay or lesbian they shouldn't be feared or discriminated into that, and other kids - gay or straight - should grow up learning to not discriminate and also defend them from discrimination. Note in the original article in the Comments the following exchange, where the author clarifies what he means by "recruit":
David Gervais: "Daniel Villarreal: you have used the term recruit as if it meant educate. We get it, but what the haters mean by recruit is entirely different. They use it as code for pedophilia."
Daniel: "@David Gervais: When I say recruit, I mean “get on our side” and “get to help fight our battles for us.” "

You'll also note the outrage from several posters saying that the poorly worded article can easily be taken out of context by homophobes and is thus irresponsible and misrepresentative of the attitudes and beliefs of the gay community as a whole. Frankly, I would tend to agree. But taking one over-zealous Queerty writer as representative of the whole gay community is as short-sighted as saying the Westboro Baptist Church is representative of Christianity, or saying that Todd Akin's lunatic beliefs on "legitimate rape" are what all anti-abortionists believe.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Poorly represented homosexual people for their images? Maybe. However, it is exactly what has been going on in America! He is telling the truth as it is!!!

Can you and Olympia honestly say that there was no recruiting in young children in America?

To tell the truth, I did find Olympia's post to be convincing. Olympia wrote that it is quite impossible to believe that gay sex, or any kind of sex, is being promoted in public schools. If it were, parents, local school boards, state departments of education, state legislators and governors would all be up in arms.

But the point I wanted to make is that we have to be careful where we gat our "facts" from. If Fox News says, "Obama is a bum" -- well, that's Fox News. If someone decides to call himself the Committee for World Peace and Universal Fellowship and writes a web log saying, "Obama is a bum because he dropped an atom bomb on New Zealand in August of 2010," the reader has the obligation of checking up on the facts for himself.

The real problem comes up when the next guy writes on his blog, "Obama nukes New Zealand" and gives as his source the CWPUF web site.

I just Googled "Gay propaganda in schools" to see what would come up. Not one single scholarly and objective analysis. Nothing from legitimate organizations of educators and school professionals (of which there are hundreds ;) ), nothing in peer reviewed literature in scholarly and professional educational journals (a number of which I subscribe to). Now, publish-or-perish alone would dictate that many scholars in the field of educational psychology or social studies curricula would be all over this issue, if the charges were true. Nothing.

PS. What is being promoted in schools is the depiction of gay and lesbian people, especially parents, as people just like everyone else. In elementary school textbooks you might have a story about a child that has two daddies, without making a big issue of it. In high school history books there might be a mention of the personal life of some great statesman, scientist, military leader, artist, or philosopher of the past. Here is a balanced article from a legitimate news source about these discussions in California a couple of years ago.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/04/education/04bcgay.html?pagewanted=all

Even in districts where mention is made of such issues in the classroom, the situation is rather limited in elementary and middle school grades in terms of textbooks. No basal reading or social studies textbook could sell nationwide or to any state with even a whiff of out-of-the-mainstream life depicted--not so much as a sentence. Separate materials are probably the way things are dealt with. (I can't speak for high school with any certainty.) The most famous storybook that incorporates this subject matter is Heather Has Two Mommies, which I've never laid eyes on in my work life.I have to say, though, I've worked on any number of articles, text units, and even books about the civil rights movement and have never once gotten to do a complete profile of Bayard Rustin.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
As usual reactionary conservatives absolutely simply do not get or understand irony. And once again, a reactionary conservative has taken one column by one writer and made it stand in for ALL LGBT people everywhere. Really, LGBT people should start doing the same. Let's tar ALL Christians for the actions, say, of ONE Evangelical preacher caught with his pants down or with his hand in the cookie jar (and heaven knows there are PLENTY of examples to choose from). "That's right, ALL Christians are lying fornicating thieves! Why? Because Jimmy Swaggart is! Etc etc ad nauseum.

What you failed to mention is the post from a reader that really encapsulates what is precisely so wrong, so dangerous about the Russian "propaganda law" and I think is worth quoting at length:

Long before I knew of anyone LGB, and years prior to hearing the word “gay” I *knew* that I reeeealllly liked men, and that I was different from my slightly older male siblings who all lusted after “Big-ti#ted Tina,” our neighbor’s step-daughter.

What would have made things easier for me, stuck in bumble-frick no-wheres-ville, might have been just ONE adult I felt OK talking to about sixth sense that I was cut from a different bolt of cloth than my guy family members.

Just One adult, one teacher/ coach/ relative could have saved me from years of feeling like the loneliest guy in the world, with the most pe-cul-i-ar secret EVER.

What I wish for the younger LTBTQQ folks coming up now is that they can just find someone who will:
– show concern
– listen
– create a safe space to get thoughts out in the open and questions answered
– help normalize the feelings of NOT fitting in & being totally alone
– instll some shred of hope that PEOPLE LIKE US do thrive and find a place in the world.

That’s not too much to ask is it. That’s not a recruitment campaign, it’s a sounding board,

And it’s a lifeline.

Full story here: http://www.queerty.com/can-we-pleas...-to-indoctrinate-kids-20110512/#ixzz2gzLDq42k

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I hope that at some point down the line, when you realize that you personally know lovely LGBT people who deserve respect and support, you'll look back on this discussion and realize that you were on the wrong side of it. As it is, I see no purpose in further engaging with you on the subject.

I do not know whether they are lovely or not, but I do tremendously respect and admire some homosexual people. For notable people, I like Brian Orser, and I like Elen DeGeneres. In my local gym, there was a young gym class instructor who is gay. He gave the best instructions in the core-central classes and kick boxing classes which had about 20 - 25 students and I was a regular student in his classes. He was very nice and popular. Any other substitudes' classes were not as good as his. Everyone likes him. His class was always packed. He left that gym last year and joined a dance studio which was opened by one of my friends just for him to teach various aerobic and dance classes. Though I did not follow him to my friend's studio, many young ladies have.:biggrin: He has a male partner and has been with him for years. What I want to say is that that was the kind of peace and harmony that everyone could accept. No one has stepped on anyone's toe.

What LGBT and their supporters are doing is more and more invasive and aggressive. The mainstream media in US is very biasedly reporting and highlighting what the liberals see as "politically correct". Now they want to infiltrate and indoctrinate the little minds as young as kindergarteners. This has violated the rights of others who do not endorse this kind of actions. I support anti-bullying, and anti-discrimination in school system. But what the examples from the links earlier are the pure "indoctrinate, recruit, teach, and expose children to queer sexuality" like the article on Queerty.com has said.

Yes, that Queerty article has exposed their true minds and exactly what has been going on remarkably well, but, of course, badly ruined their public images for sure. I think that your movement has gone too far. You have invaded other people's spaces and stepped on other people's toe!

To tell the truth, I did find Olympia's post to be convincing. Olympia wrote that it is quite impossible to believe that gay sex, or any kind of sex, is being promoted in public schools. If it were, parents, local school boards, state departments of education, state legislators and governors would all be up in arms.

It is not the teaching of sexual act that is a huge concern here. That "fistgate" incidence was an isolated case and has already been addressed. It is the push of injection of homosexual concept and ideas in the mind of little kids that has raised big alarm.

Even in districts where mention is made of such issues in the classroom, the situation is rather limited in elementary and middle school grades in terms of textbooks. No basal reading or social studies textbook could sell nationwide or to any state with even a whiff of out-of-the-mainstream life depicted--not so much as a sentence. Separate materials are probably the way things are dealt with. (I can't speak for high school with any certainty.) The most famous storybook that incorporates this subject matter is Heather Has Two Mommies, which I've never laid eyes on in my work life.I have to say, though, I've worked on any number of articles, text units, and even books about the civil rights movement and have never once gotten to do a complete profile of Bayard Rustin.

I certainly hope so, Olympia. But with this administration and this supreme court, I very much doubt that homosexual movement will stop right here.

Weakankles, he needs help and love, but indoctrinating and brainwashing the minds of the young kids in school is definitely wrong and offensive. Russia has seen what has happened to US and other western countries. They don't want the same thing happen in their own country.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Wagner and her attention seeking intentions should have just shut her mouth up and concentrate on her Flutz and 3-3
I don't hear anyone of notable gay skaters like Orser, Wilson or Lambiel complaining

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I don't hear anyone of notable gay skaters like Orser, Wilson or Lambiel complaining

That is one of the reasons that I admire Orser tremendously. He just acts naturally and calmly with concerns to others. Therefore, he earns other's respect back to him.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
PS. What is being promoted in schools is the depiction of gay and lesbian people, especially parents, as people just like everyone else. In elementary school textbooks you might have a story about a child that has two daddies, without making a big issue of it. In high school history books there might be a mention of the personal life of some great statesman, scientist, military leader, artist, or philosopher of the past. Here is a balanced article from a legitimate news source about these discussions in California a couple of years ago.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/04/education/04bcgay.html?pagewanted=all

Media bias in the United States

Gallup Polls show that most Americans do not have confidence in the mass media "to report the news fully, accurately, and fairly". In 2011 a 60% majority reported a perception of media bias, with 47% saying mass media was too liberal, 13% too conservative. Prevalence of the perception of bias was highest among partisans, with 78% of conservatives reporting a perception of bias, 53% of liberals reporting a perception of bias and 46% of moderates reporting a perception of bias. Those who view mass media reporting as "just about right" was polled at 36%, in the historic range of Gallup polling.[13][14] According to Gallup, in every year since 2002 more Americans think the media show liberal bias than think the media show conservative bias.[15]

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Are you suggesting that a renowned newsource like the New York Times, because it is a mass media source, is a less reliable, and more biased source than a site called jesus-is-saviour.com? :laugh:

Yes, there is skepticism about mass media reporting, but I can assure you there is FAR more skepticism when it comes to conservative, religiously affiliated websites such as the FRC, lifesitenews, massresistance, and jesus-is-saviour.

Of course mass media will be perceived as more liberal, as they often present facts - from legitimate sources - that conservatives don't want to hear. If a study, published in a legitimate scientific journal, finds that gay parents raise kids just as well as straight parents, and a news outlet reports on it, the conservatives will immediately label it as liberal bias, since it contradicts what they've been indoctrinated into thinking. The Republican party (which is obviously geared towards conservatives) is essentially built upon avoiding facts and denouncing legitimate news outlets. I could point out several links of how conservative news outlets like Fox News deliberately twist facts in order to present a different story that fits their conservative agenda.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
My ex was -- and probably still is -- a dyed-in-the-wool card carrying Republican conservative, who once gleefully pointed out to me that conservative news shows get higher ratings than liberal ones, and that the NY Times Best Selling Books list is filled with pro-conservative tomes. I simply looked at him and said, That's because liberals don't need someone else to tell them what to think.

Oddly enough, the relationship itself lasted 11 years--far longer than a good many of my straight friends' church-sanctioned marriages. Imagine that,

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Wow, 11 years with a Republican, your patience is admirable! I dated a Conservative Bible-thumper for not even 11 weeks before I pulled the plug because I couldn't put up with his self-loathing homophobia, which he had been clearly indoctrinated into thinking, and mindless conservatism. He voted for Rob Ford because it saved him $60 on his house's property tax... but didn't care that Ford said "If you're gay, you'll probably get AIDS." :rolleye:

the NY Times Best Selling Books list is filled with pro-conservative tomes.

I hope you pointed out to him that said pro-conservative tomes have all sold considerably less on the NY Times Bestseller List than a certain series about witchcraft and wizardry. :p