Movies That Disappointed You..... | Golden Skate

Movies That Disappointed You.....

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I hate to get stuck on the "Movie" theme, but since Worlds isn't until March...........

Did you ever get excited to see a particular movie and then were disappointed when you did?......here are three of mine....

1. "Pleasantville".....muddled, confusing, and plain ridiculous
2. "House of Sand and Fog".....although the acting was good, the subject matter was so depressing, it stayed with me for days.
3. "A Beautiful Mind"....I loved the supporting cast and adore Russell Crowe, but thought he was miscast. Also, I didn't like the plot twist..........I wanted him to be working for the CIA.......42

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
These are a few off the top of my head:
1. Nicholas & Alexandra (1972) - I wasn't born at the time this film came out, but by age 12 (1991) I had become fascinated with Russia's last Imperial Family and their ultimate tragedy. This movie was based on Robert K. Massie's brilliant and hugely popular book by the same title. Massie's book blended the political elements together with the personal lives of these characters and brought events vividly to life. The movie, in my opinion, failed miserably. The set designs were beautiful, but the rest was staid and uninspiring. I would love to see someone do this brilliant book justice. The story alone is still one that resonates so strongly today.

2. The New Star Wars Movies - I grew up watching the original Star Wars trilogy and they became classics to me. The first three (or last I guess) were, for the most part, original and full of heart. The two newest editions were visually brilliant but lacked the emotional impact of the originals. Bad scripts, etc. I was very disappointed.

3. Chicago - No one kill me! I was so psyched about this one! I thought the script was smart and effective and the performances were wonderful, but this movie failed to draw me in. I didn't really care what happened to the main characters. After all of the hype and awards, I expected a masterpiece. Instead, I found "Chicago" to be only mildly entertaining. And I love most musicals!

All I can think of for now!

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
show 42:

I would agree:

"A Beautiful Mind" - a lot of hype, but the subject was not delt with realistically. Russell Crowes' character had a very good life despite his mental problems - most people with this affliction do not have it that good.

I was very disappointed in "Cold Mountain". I read the book and it was excellent. I think the story was too hard to convey on screen. Jude Law was the most convincing of the cast.

"A House of Fog and Sand" - I did not really want to see this movie - so had no expectations. I do agree it was disturbing. Those images at the end were hard to get out of ones mind.

Antilles

Medalist
I also didn't like Cold Mountain. I really hated the Missing. It pains me to say it, but the new Star Wars movies. I love Star Wars so much, but I can't get in to those. That's all I can think of right now.

nysk8r

Rinkside
Count me in as another person who doesn't like the new Star Wars movies. My theory on these mediocre movies is that all the computer FX and green screen stuff made the two prequels quite emotionless and lacked convincing acting. If Ewan McGregor wasn't in them, I probably wouldn't have seen them at all.

Another trilogy I was disappointed by was the Matrix trilogy, more specifically the last two films. "Reloaded", being the middle chapter in the trilogy, was bound to sag a little in the story and action part, but fortunately picked up towards the end. "Revolutions" was OK as well, but failed to fully explain all that mumbo jumbo that was spouted in the second movie. Also, the ending felt a little phony with the little girl making the sun rise :rolleye: . Well, two hours of Keanu Reeves can't be that bad :D .

supersk8er

Rinkside
I was disappointed with the Matrix films also...However, the whole concept went right over my head anyways. After watching the first one, I turned to my sister and said, "But why not just live in the Matrix? Who the heck would want to live in the hell that Neo is subjecting himself to [along with the others]?" She told me I was stupid and didn't get it. And so, naturally, the next two were not even worth watching, and I stepped out of both movies with a blank look in my eyes, and the desire to never ever see another action film.
I was disappointed with the next two installments in the Star Wars trilogy too...(I'm glad we're all agreeing!)...I am an avid fan of Star Wars...the old ones, that is. I think that imagination was lost with all of the special effects. I actually haven't even gotten through the second one without falling asleep.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
"Good Will Hunting" - I absolutely loved "Malenoche", "Dimestore Cowboy" and "Private Idaho", so was so let down that Gus churned out this predictable peice of sacrine. Years later I still can't get over the implausable ending.

"the Piano" and "Portrait of a Lady" - I so loved "Sweetie", "Angel at the Table" and "Holy Smoke", and especially The Piano was getting so much hype, I thought that it would be sublime. After second and third viewings, I've come to like them both, but the first viewing of each was a total let down. To be fair to Jane, I've always had a problem with Henry James: I just never seem to understand the motivation behind his heroine's crazy actions.

"Hanna and her Sisters" - I loved "Interiors" so much, but can never really see Hanna as anything more than a less edgy remake. What's the big deal? Also, the older he gets, the more difficult I find it to watch Woody's movie's that star himself.

"Philadelphia" - I was misled. This movie is not about a gay lawyer dying of AIDS at all. It's the long winded, sugar coated tale of a ignorant hack lawyer who is dragged kicking and screaming into the 20th century. Watching someone not only overcome irrational predjudice but learn how to actually do their job properly in the process, well it's a feel good 2 hours for fence sitters who don't challenge themselves very much. If you're interested in the whole Pygmalion thing, much beter to watch "Educating Rita".

icenut84

Final Flight
"AI: Artificial Intelligence". I thought this film would have been great (lots of hype, Spielberg, Haley Joel Osment and Jude Law) but... I thought it was very overrated. It could have been good, but I think the ending was rubbish for a start - unrealistic, didn't work, dragged out far too long. There were lots of places towards the end when it could have finished, and I thought it was going to, but then it just carried on. It started off good (IIRC), but then with the whole "blue fairy" thing I just didn't think it was that good. Jude Law was good though.

Harry Potter. :( I love the books, and think they are very very well written. A lot of people have objections against them without even reading them (the stigma of being a "children's book", maybe? Even though the main character is a child, the stories and events certainly aren't typical of children's books. They deal with some very dramatic issues). HOWEVER - when I went to see the films, I was a bit disappointed. Hate to spout the "not as good as the books" spiel, but IMO, it's true.

icenut84

Final Flight
Forgot a couple - Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal. Just didn't think they were as good as the hype made them out to be.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Seabisquit... after all the hype and all... it really didn't move me until the very end... Toby McGwuire had a really foul mouth in that movie and it really took away from the story IMHO because every time he'd say something I'd be waiting to count how many swear words were used... it doesn't really help the dialogue at all. IMHO
I think the actor playing the radio announcer was the best part of the movie... he was in Ghost of Mississippi and I think he's typecasted :laugh: he always plays those wacky kind of characters...

the star wars prequils really are big bummers... but Ewan McGregor, I think, is awesome in the movies, definately the only reason worth watching them. :)

supersk8er

Rinkside
berthes ghost said:

"Philadelphia" - I was misled. This movie is not about a gay lawyer dying of AIDS at all. It's the long winded, sugar coated tale of a ignorant hack lawyer who is dragged kicking and screaming into the 20th century. Watching someone not only overcome irrational predjudice but learn how to actually do their job properly in the process, well it's a feel good 2 hours for fence sitters who don't challenge themselves very much. If you're interested in the whole Pygmalion thing, much beter to watch "Educating Rita".

You're, of course, entitled to your opinion, but as it is one of my favorite movies, I feel I need to rebuttle! This movie was about overcoming prejudice's and seeing the big picture! And if Denzel didn't do his job, then HOW COME they won so much money in the end? I don't know...just thinking about this movie makes me want to cry...So I'll leave it at that..

berthes ghost

Final Flight
This movie was about overcoming prejudice's and seeing the big picture!
Exactly what I said, we are in complete agreement. If one is looking for a movie about what gay men dying of AIDS go through and how they might have a cathartic change, this is not the movie to see. It's all about Joe Miller. Andy was just a plot device to trigger Miller's change.

And if Denzel didn't do his job, then HOW COME they won so much money in the end?
You didn't read what I said. It was quite clear at the begining of the movie and even at the start of the trial that Miller was a bad lawyer. It was only during the trial that he learned a thing or two and got his act together, but through most of the trial they seemed destined to fail.

guinevere

Final Flight
There are lots of movies I can think of which are disappointing, but I usually go into a movie with a lot of information about it, and my expectations are adjusted. For instance, I find the new Star Wars installments laughable, but I knew they would blow. About The Matrix, I was mostly disappointed that they turned it into a trilogy, because I thought the 1st film was great on its own. By the time I saw Reloaded, however, I had heard it was terrible, so it didn't bother me.

The only movies I can think of off the top of my head that I went to expecting a great or even good film and was really disappointed in what I saw are:

- Buffalo 66 (with Vincent de Gallo) and Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas, the Hunter S Thompson movie with Johnny Depp. Both of those movies had rave reviews from sources I would consider reputable, and I didn't finish watching either of them.

- The Beach with Leonardo di Caprio. I went with my mom and I think she was scarred for life by how bad it was!

I'm sure there are more, but it's late.....

guinevere

equestrianguy

On the Ice
Yes, Cold Mountain was a little disappointing.. Thank goodness Renee Zelwinger saved the show! Poor Nichole tried to carry that southern accent, but her Aussie background kept popping out.. It was definately no Gone with the Wind.. Cold Mountain was a pretty movie and heartfelt, but very slow.. My favorite momments of the movie was like I said Renee's spunky Ruby character, and the british actress that played the witchlike medicine woman..

I disagree about Chicago.. It was a fabulous film! I didnt know if I should stay in my theater seat or stand up, dance, and clap during the film.. WONDERFUL!

Jhar55

Medalist
The movie Cold Mountain, I read the book few years ago and unless I read the ending wrong it was different from the movie.
The way I read the books ending Iman didn't die. Other than that it followed the book very close.
Vanills Sky is another one sorry just didn't get the movie at all.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
...........Just thought of another...."Eyes Wide Shut"....I totally believed the hype, saw the movie and said.."Huh"....42

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Jhar55:

I read the book "Cold Mountain" before seein the movie and yes in the book sad to say Inman dies. I think the book is much more touching than the movies' portrayal of his death and their last moments together. However, she does have a daughter by him and so in a sense he lives on.

I loved the book, but was a little disappointed in the movie. I think I waited so long for the movie to come out and then I kept wondering if it could possibly live up to the book. Oh well, as someone said it was no "Gone With The Wind."

Ladskater

Record Breaker
equestrianguy:

Actually, I thought Jude Law saved the movie more than Renee Z. I thought she was a little "campy" in the role. Jude came across just as I pictured Inman from the book. I don't think Nichole was the right choice for the main female character. Now if Vivian Leigh had been around!!!

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Forrest Gump: I did NOT like that movie at all. And I ADORE Tom Hanks but that movie did nothing for me. People are normally shocked by this statement because I am one of the world's most emotional people. It just was not my cup of tea at all. I was really disappointed in that movie. It was overhyped for sure and didn't live up to my expectations at all. Oh well.