New Stars born - season 2013/2014 | Golden Skate

New Stars born - season 2013/2014

Country
Russia
I do't mean well-known at national level skaters (or couples) like Medvedeva or Edmunds, who just had first Internationals and show there their known high level.
I mean skaters/couples, who at Internationals show significantly better performance than might be waited from them.

I believe New Stars are:

Adian PITKEEV from Russia - Junior Men.
Wenbo ZANG from China - Junior Men.

Veronik MALLET from Canada - Senior Ladies.
Riona KATO from Japan - Junior Ladies.
Madelyn DUNLEY from Canada - Junior Ladies.

Ksenia MONKO / Kirill KHALIAVIN from Russia - Senior Ice Dance ("semi-new", they were good at WTT).
Alla LOBODA / Pavel DROZD from Russia - Junior Ice Dance.

Who else?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Brooklee Han :) Australia
Junior & Senior Ladies

I would rule out M&K because they were World Junior champions, as well as doing well at WTT. They belong more in a comeback kids thread, along with Nobunari Oda. If you wanted to include them, then you should also include Jason Brown.

Definitely Verinca Mallet CAN in singles. Definitely Loboda & DrozdRUS in dance.

Possibly Ashley Cain USA in ladies singles, if you don't count her former pairs career.

I'd also include Agafonova & Ucar of Turkey in dance.

Possibly in pairs Ruben Blommaert & Annabelle Prölß GER who did well at Nebelhorn as seniors.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
too early to tell for seniors

for juniors

men:
Adian Pitkeev
Alexander Petrov

ladies:
Medvedeva
Chen
Edmunds
Proklova
Sotskova

Ice Dance
Mcnamara/Carpenter
Kim/Minov
Nazarova/Nikitin - big breakthrough season

Pairs
Vigalova/Zakroev

jennyanydots

On the Ice
I'm hoping to see more of Ashley Cain. I love her look on the ice. Hopefully her jumps will become stronger. Jason Brown already had a lot of buzz, all well deserved.

Country
Russia
Junior & Senior Ladies
I disagree.
About the same level that was at past season. She may be New Star of 2012/2013 season, not 2013/2014.
I remember her very well at Worlds-2013.

At Juniors in Mexico JGP Event she was 8th with score 119.98 - very bad result for her.

I would rule out M&K because they were World Junior champions, as well as doing well at WTT. They belong more in a comeback kids thread, along with Nobunari Oda.
May be.

If you wanted to include them, then you should also include Jason Brown.
Jason Brown for now did not show anything significantly better than at past season. May be, later at the season.

Possibly Ashley Cain USA in ladies singles, if you don't count her former pairs career.
Also as for Jason Brown I don't see anything significantly better than past season. Or even 2011/2012 when she was 2nd at JrNats.

Possibly in pairs Ruben Blommaert & Annabelle Prölß GER who did well at Nebelhorn as seniors.
Yes.

Country
Russia
ladies:
Medvedeva
Chen
Edmunds
Proklova
Sotskova

Pairs
Vigalova/Zakroev

They all are well known at national level, Vigalova/Zakroev also at international.
Some progress - yes, but not new stars.
May be, excluding Proklova - her progress is better than "some".

Country
Russia
I'm hoping to see more of Ashley Cain. I love her look on the ice. Hopefully her jumps will become stronger.
At Nebelhorn - three URs and a fall (in SP+FS), in FS no 3+3 combo and 6 triples.
Let us see more her competition to solve.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Haweyek (sp?) and Baker really do look lovely to me. Angelica and Carmelengo are doing wonderful things with their teams. WOW!

Celine

On the Ice
Haven't M/K been on the scene internationally now for almost 8 years? Didn't they compete for like 5 years in the Junior Grand Prix? At least 4. I knew they had to sit out one fall because he was ill but they are not that "new"

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Jason Brown for now did not show anything significantly better than at past season. May be, later at the season.

How do you define "showing anything significantly better?" Do you mean as far as his ISU personal best?

His SP, for one is a LOT better. He totally reworked the choreography and is performing it with a lot more sass and bravado.
Here's his SP from his first JGP event last year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to4kYooOlLo
Here's the same SP from Nebelhorn: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaMl0L-8YyE

He beat his PB by nearly 10 points in the SP, I'd said that is significantly better. Even if you want to argue that is an inflated "Senior B" score (which counts nonetheless due to the event being an Olympic qualifier), he likely still beat his PB in the SP by several points.

And his Riverdance FS is definitely more complex, choreography wise: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sbqeEphfAw

Can he improve? Certainly! But I think he's already shown quite a bit improvement from last season. And I definitely think a lot of people took notice of him because of that program! I've seen a lot of posts on GS/FSU that are like "Jason's my new favorite" or "This is impressive" or whatever.

ETA: I realize that you can also interpret the thread (as you probably have) to refer to people who have done more than they were expected to do or take it to the next level. I guess Jason has always skated at a high level, even when he didn't have a 3A, so I suppose he wouldn't count as a "new star" for that reason.

Last edited:

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
They aren't new, but I for one enjoyed the comeback of Maylin & Daniel Wende. The LP is awesome (even though it was already used in 2011-12, IIRC).

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I suppose it all depends on what is new to you, and what is a star to you. For me, it is the moment I first really believed that a skater had the possibility of making a successful transition to seniors. For me, for the ladies, I never put any credence in them until they hit seniors. I enjoy their junior performances, but don't wish to give them my heart until they have finished growing.

So a breakthrough is when someone makes me sit up and take notice. Frankly, I did not expect Ashley Cain to medal at Nebelhorn, and I have been ignoring her in Juniors, so I noticed (actually, I noticed her at Liberty this summer-while she was not doing more & better jumps, her speed & flow was so much improved)

Likewise for Brooklee-given her low placing at her last JGP, I was surprised that she finished 5th at Nebelhorn, and skated her best there, so I noticed.

ALthough I follow the juniors, (particularly dance, pairs & men), a lot of people don't, so when a junior (like Ashley Cain) has a fairly successful senior debut, I'd count it. I wouldn't count Jason because he is one of those skaters people noticed, and commented on even when he was a junior, but in the sense of a successful senior debut, he also had one, particularly with a ten point bump in his SP personal best.

I expected Hawayek & Baker and McNamara & Carpenter to do well, based on noticing them last year, so I didn't count them.

The Turks on the other hand, really stepped it up a notch now that they are with Zhulin.

Last edited:

skatel80

On the Ice
Junior & Senior Ladies

I would rule out M&K because they were World Junior champions, as well as doing well at WTT. They belong more in a comeback kids thread, along with Nobunari Oda. If you wanted to include them, then you should also include Jason Brown.

Definitely Verinca Mallet CAN in singles. Definitely Loboda & DrozdRUS in dance.

ITA with your choices :) Han was excellent at the Nebelhorn trophy and also landed a 3lz which I didn't see from her last season. Cains short at nebelhorn was a surprise to me when she landed that 3f+3t, she barely had a 3f or lz last season, she has really improved, I am very impressed.
I am not impressed by this years slew of young Russian ladies, yes their triple triples are great, but we see this season after season, if they are still doing 3-3s like that when they are 16/17 I will be impressed...