Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 44

Thread: Is Volosozhar and Trankov's FS Olympic gold worthy?

  1. #1
    skating philosopher
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    7,942

    Is Volosozhar and Trankov's FS Olympic gold worthy?

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPack View Post
    Volosozhar & Trankov's new LP at NHT

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkTjI...OgHA_9m0Cse1Gg

    After last season's Ikuko Kawai sublime program, they chose Jesus Christ Superstar. Great pair, but what were they thinking about when they choose Jesus Christ Superstar?!?! A clean performance and the most muted applause from the audience. I hope they understand that this program won't work for anyone, skaters who used JC Superstar never had the results they looked for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Well judges gave them a WR for that performance....so even if it isn't working, per se. IT's working as far as the scores goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    I must say that while I did love their SP - I thought it was delighful - the FP just left me feeling - and not to mention -
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPack View Post
    But this is the Olympics. Do they simply want to be remembered as the competent technical pair like M&M? Think most people would agree 1994 as the barometer of the height of pairs skating with B&S and S&Z as bright lights in subsequent years.
    Quote Originally Posted by bramweld View Post
    In spite of their technical issues the last great pair for me was B/S. They were just so beautiful. V/T just do not compare on any level. They either don't have the talent and or the work ethic How could they feel comfortable with just recycling the choreography they've had for the last two or three years. Lazy!! IMHO. No matter how the judges will score your work, what about your own sense of pride? For that reason alone, I hope S/S win in Sochi, if only by some miracle
    Moved from the programs thread. Let's continue.

  2. #2
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,810
    Sure. Technically it was pretty solid and it would be worthy of an Olympic gold....

    But was it a great program, oh dear god no. The funniest is the Eurosport guys' reaction to it... "We wondered what the hell was going on in the first minute or so of this [i.e. absolutely hated it], but they were executing the elements with a lot of quality, so I guess we're supposed to like it?!?" Too bad the clip I saw was cut off before I could hear their reactions to the scores.

    V/T are capable of something so much more interesting than this. They have lovely elements, excellent speed, but the music is atrocious and the interpretation isn't there... I'm sorry but praying in the middle of the ice and then forming a cross at the end? I haven't seen such cheesiness since Kavaguti ripped open her dress to reveal a heart.

    I really hope they change their program, but the outrageously high score will probably make them think they have a good thing going.

  3. #3
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,810
    Also, about the whole crucified Tatiana thing at the end, the IOC "prohibits demonstration[s] or political, religious, or racial propaganda in any Olympic sites, venues, or areas". What's the IOC going to do?!

  4. #4
    Custom Title BlackPack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,031
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Also, about the whole crucified Tatiana thing at the end, the IOC "prohibits demonstration[s] or political, religious, or racial propaganda in any Olympic sites, venues, or areas". What's the IOC going to do?!
    Yeah.... why did Tatiana crucify herself? If anything, they were never victims since she paired with Trankov. Meteoric rise. Other pairs labored for years before the judges showed them any respect.

    The most "memorable" JC Superstar program for me was Lobacheva and Averbukh's many years ago. That was another

    JC Superstar is sort of a counter-cultural piece very specific to the 60/70s flower child thing. It's not really timeless and hardcore fans expect timeless artistic breakthroughs from the Olympics.

    I also think Tatiana is a much stronger partner than Maxim is. She is exceptional while he is merely competent. Their twists and throws are spectacular. You have a very solid technical pair, but they are nowhere near the magic of B&S, S&Z, G&G, and M&D.

  5. #5
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    49
    This feels like such a worthwhile question, that any single person could come up with very different and conflicting responses to. The whole issue of "worthiness" would be the pivot point.

    We could go on debating endlessly. But, it seems practically moot. In pairs, element execution and racking up the points should win the day. The programs simply have to be that "artistic" or "creative" or "imaginative." Couple that with the inevitable level of $upport that they are already getting acknowledged with, it seems like it doesn't really matter.

    And that is a shame. But likely true.

  6. #6
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    759
    I think Trankov dictates to Mozer how he's going to skate, and he fails to see how poorly his skating skills and presentation match up with Tatiana's. He doesn't even make an effort to match her. He tries in exhibitions in competitions he only worries about nailing the elements and it shows. Sadly for Tatiana I hope that the success of other teams cause him to reevaluate this approach. But what is most sad is that this should be glaringly obvious to the judges but they choose to reward them for sloppy work just the same It says a lot about figure skating and why many question with reason the integrity of the sport

  7. #7
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,818
    Quote Originally Posted by bramweld View Post
    I think Trankov dictates to Mozer how he's going to skate, and he fails to see how poorly his skating skills and presentation match up with Tatiana's. He doesn't even make an effort to match her. He tries in exhibitions in competitions he only worries about nailing the elements and it shows. Sadly for Tatiana I hope that the success of other teams cause him to reevaluate this approach. But what is most sad is that this should be glaringly obvious to the judges but they choose to reward them for sloppy work just the same It says a lot about figure skating and why many question with reason the integrity of the sport
    And giving two world record scores for those performances isn't going to boost the integrity level anytime soon.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,147
    Sure it is. It isnt a great program but technically they are by far the best pair right now, and they hit the bullet points required for good PC marks too, and so if they skate reasonably well they deserve to win, whether they have a masterpiece of a program or not. I doubt any of their competitors will either anyway based on the last few years of pairs skating.

    The pairs field is just weak right now anyway. That a team like Duhamel & Radford nearly won silver at Worlds last year sums up the pairs field right now. There isnt really anyone to push V&T to better now, as their only competition is an old and declining German team.

  9. #9
    Outdated Old Dinosaur
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    905
    When viewed in contrast to some of the magical pairs programs we've seen in the past... No. This is not worthy.

    When viewed against the current competition... yeah, sure. Why not? It's not as though there are a multitude of great pairs out there.

    Do you see anyone who is going to put forth an epic and memorable performance and beat it?

  10. #10
    Outdated Old Dinosaur
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    905
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Sure it is. It isnt a great program but technically they are by far the best pair right now, and they hit the bullet points required for good PC marks too, and so if they skate reasonably well they deserve to win, whether they have a masterpiece of a program or not. I doubt any of their competitors will either anyway based on the last few years of pairs skating.

    The pairs field is just weak right now anyway. That a team like Duhamel & Radford nearly won silver at Worlds last year sums up the pairs field right now. There isnt really anyone to push V&T to better now, as their only competition is an old and declining German team.
    OK... we cross-posted and said the same thing. GMTA, I suppose.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,147
    Based on the current pairs the idea any of the current pairs would ever put out a program and performance at a high enough technical and artistic level to deserve to beat the program skated as well as it was there is hugely unlikely. The thought of Duhamel & Radford, old past their best Pang & Tong, Barazova & Larionova, old and past their best Kavaguti ever putting together something that would deserve to beat that is simply laughable, and anyone who even suggests any of those teams could conceivably do so I will laugh heartily at. The Germans are the only ones who conceivably could put together a program that would even arguably deserve to (and yeah I know even if they did they wont due to politics and momentum for the Russians now, but I am just talking about what would fair) and to do that they would have to have way better programs than last year, and skate cleanly which they havent been doing in years, and rarely did even in their primes.

    So that obviously answers the question if it is Olympic Gold medal worthy. They arent competing against Gordeeva & Grinkov, in which case the answer would probably be different.

  12. #12
    Custom Title BlackPack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,031
    In terms of interesting and "worthy" programs, the Germans have done a fine job all these years. Funny how so many people credit Ingo Steuer, but I don't recall his competitive programs being that interesting. Unfortunately, the Germans are encumbered by nerves and inconsistencies. The Germans do tend to overextend themselves by doing difficult elements that they're probably not technically capable of performing cleanly. When it comes to innovation, I'd give it to the Germans, even if they're not a classical pair with great lines.

    I do agree with whoever said V&T have become lazy. Most of their new LP moves are old ones. Who's to blame them if the judges keep rewarding them? All the pairs are doing very difficult moves these days, and the only difference is that V&T managed to be clean.

    If they're going to keep recycling old moves, they might as well kill the JC program and revive their Ikuko Kawai program for the Olympics. I'd like to be able to watch an Olympic performance over and over again, and I just can't watch a JC program repeatedly.

  13. #13
    ~high art~
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    636
    They have no motivations to improve their programs because they are still rewarded with 10 10 10s. The same with Davis and White.

  14. #14
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    759
    Quote Originally Posted by Moment View Post
    They have no motivations to improve their programs because they are still rewarded with 10 10 10s. The same with Davis and White.
    Please don't drag D/W in here, because I might blow a fuse. But then again I need to vent, to see an obviously rough program (D/W), get 110 points at the start of the season Mind you IMHO, if the program were a masterpiece I could understand, but boy, it grieves me to see high marks just thrown away like that

  15. #15
    skating philosopher
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    7,942
    Quote Originally Posted by bramweld View Post
    Please don't drag D/W in here, because I might blow a fuse. But then again I need to vent, to see an obviously rough program (D/W), get 110 points at the start of the season Mind you IMHO, if the program were a masterpiece I could understand, but boy, it grieves me to see high marks just thrown away like that
    Quote Originally Posted by Moment View Post
    They have no motivations to improve their programs because they are still rewarded with 10 10 10s. The same with Davis and White.
    I started a new thread. So feel free to blow a fuse over there.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •