Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 44

Thread: Is Volosozhar and Trankov's FS Olympic gold worthy?

  1. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,378
    I do think their programs are a good vehicle for the Olympics
    JC Superstand wasn't bad as I thought, its one of those program that as it goes you will learn to love/like

  2. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,147
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPack View Post
    In terms of interesting and "worthy" programs, the Germans have done a fine job all these years.
    They had been doing so for many years but their programs last year were the YUCK. One cant accurately say they even have better programs than V&T anymore, unless their this years material (which I have not seen yet) is alot better than last years.

  3. #18
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    5,081
    ^ Maybe so, but V/T's FS this year, choreographically, is more yuck than anything the Germans have put out in their career, IMO.

    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Sure it is. It isnt a great program but technically they are by far the best pair right now, and they hit the bullet points required for good PC marks too, and so if they skate reasonably well they deserve to win, whether they have a masterpiece of a program or not. I doubt any of their competitors will either anyway based on the last few years of pairs skating.

    The pairs field is just weak right now anyway. That a team like Duhamel & Radford nearly won silver at Worlds last year sums up the pairs field right now. There isnt really anyone to push V&T to better now, as their only competition is an old and declining German team.
    D/R almost won silver because their technical content is more difficult than anyone in the field. It's exciting to see pairs skaters do something other than the two easiest triples, a salchow and loop throw, and call it day. V/T have lots of room for improvement in their two programs (which is to be expected at the start of a season), however there is not much improvement in the marks available since the judges gave them GOE like candy.

    The main problem is that V/T have gotten to a point where their elements are so well done and their general speed and performance is strong, and they're Russia's biggest chance of a Sochi gold... that any old choreography, and the same jumping passes that we've seen for a decade are enough to garner points like that.

    It doesn't matter if the Germans, or anyone else, have a better program... if V/T stay on their feet, the gold is theirs regardless.

  4. #19
    skating philosopher Mrs. P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    8,663
    Bramweld you asked about seeing folks live in the D/W thread

    I will say that I have seen V/T live (at Skate America last year) and they are a class apart as far as execution of the elements. They are very fast and everything, when done well, looks easy and smooth. However, I could not stand that Godfather SP at all. I like their LP. So I can see why the judges give them high marks despite the errors. But given their polish and speed, it's frustrating that the choreo is so underwhelming.

    I have to say as far as choreography the pair that stood out to me at SkAm was Pang and Tong. They were struggling on the technical elements (Tong, in particular), but their LP was a real standout.

  5. #20
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    124
    The free skate is boring. they should go back to black swan

  6. #21
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    City of rains
    Posts
    74
    They said that the LP is still in progress, they are working on choreo. Plus, they aren't very pleased with how they performed it in Obersdorf. So, I say, we wait till at least the Grand Prix startsand then decide if it's good enough for Sochi.

  7. #22
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    5,081
    Quote Originally Posted by Redstone View Post
    They said that the LP is still in progress, they are working on choreo. Plus, they aren't very pleased with how they performed it in Obersdorf. So, I say, we wait till at least the Grand Prix startsand then decide if it's good enough for Sochi.
    That's good news! I'm glad that they are at least being self-aware and self-critical and understanding that while it was well-executed it wasn't entirely well-received. For god's skate (no pun intended) they have to change the music. I don't get what's up with the end of their freeskates having music that sound like it's dragging on and laboured (both last year and this year).

  8. #23
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    beijing
    Posts
    1,910
    In its current form, no.

  9. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,378
    can't be that bad. S/S are doing the Nutcracker in the LP

  10. #25
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,800
    Well comparatively to say Davis and white this is a masterpiece and oly worthy. Just saying...Virtue and Moir might as well give up likewise the Germans are really going to need to skate clean. I like the sp but not so much JC superstar - they should go back to Kawai or ... atl least it isn't another Carmen or another Phantom or another masquerade or another bolero...

  11. #26
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    5,081
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Well comparatively to say Davis and white this is a masterpiece and oly worthy. Just saying...Virtue and Moir might as well give up likewise the Germans are really going to need to skate clean. I like the sp but not so much JC superstar - they should go back to Kawai or ... atl least it isn't another Carmen or another Phantom or another masquerade or another bolero...
    You mean like their SP?

  12. #27
    Custom Title BlackPack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,047
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Well comparatively to say Davis and white this is a masterpiece and oly worthy. Just saying...Virtue and Moir might as well give up likewise the Germans are really going to need to skate clean. I like the sp but not so much JC superstar - they should go back to Kawai or ... atl least it isn't another Carmen or another Phantom or another masquerade or another bolero...
    I'm not thrilled with D&W's "classic" choices, but D&W at least are very sharp and know when they need to make significant changes to their program; their programs are constantly evolving throughout the season. I.e. in their Tango LP one year, they kept stumbling with one move and they finally changed it to something else. At the moment, V&T have the technical goods to get the OGM, but they will not be remembered as one of the greats, not with this program. Tatiana crucifying herself is self-indulgent and lazy choreography. Skate to the music and lose the JC references, if that's all they're going to do.

  13. #28
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    1,636
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    can't be that bad. S/S are doing the Nutcracker in the LP

    The little footage I saw from their LP, it looked very, very nice. I am sure both Ingo and David worked hard for their programs this season. I was circumspect at first when I found out their music choice, but now I am curious. I know they have 0 chance to win in Sochi, with the scores V/T post nowadays, regardless of the programs or the actual skating. What I really hope is that S/S skate close to clean and leave the competitive skating on a high note.
    IMHO, if there is a skating God, he will not let V/T's LP win the gold in Sochi. Seriously. I can't believe whomever came up with the idea actually saw it working as an Olympic LP. The first part is so weird, with the strange music as a background noise while they do their elements (amazing elements, I am not questioning the quality, well, maybe her two footed 3S which NEVER gets penalized and this annoys me to death), the second part is a little better, their movements match the music (even though I don't like the music, this is a personal preference) and then the third part starts with that triumphant music which I simply don't get, the program it's too disjointed. I have no problem with programs composed of many different cuts, if there is a logic behind it, but in this program, I fail to see it. Maybe someone who knows better what's behind their programs can tell us. I know I may sound like I am ripping them apart and it's true I prefer S/S but I try to be fair. I loved their LP last season, it was a challenging music to skate to and the program was packed with content, I loved their Black Swan at 2012 Worlds, I even liked their R&J Lp at their World debut. But this LP is their worst so far. And when you think they will skate in Russia, it's even more frustrating. There is so much great music out there to chose from who can make even the last row in the arena get goosebumps...
    About the SP, boy oh boy, I am so tired of the music, but the program is good and, to take back my words, it's a great vehicle for them. Costumes were great, there is a story behind it and they do a great job portraying it. It suits them and their style, so good job. I can see the whole arena clapping on the beat of the music and carrying them along. Also I love that they went back to side by side 3T in the SP, they do it much better than the 3S(which is also a good jump for them, but the quality of their 3T side by side is unmatched)

  14. #29
    Custom Title BlackPack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,047
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirunna View Post
    The little footage I saw from their LP, it looked very, very nice. I am sure both Ingo and David worked hard for their programs this season. I was circumspect at first when I found out their music choice, but now I am curious. I know they have 0 chance to win in Sochi, with the scores V/T post nowadays, regardless of the programs or the actual skating. What I really hope is that S/S skate close to clean and leave the competitive skating on a high note.
    IMHO, if there is a skating God, he will not let V/T's LP win the gold in Sochi. Seriously. I can't believe whomever came up with the idea actually saw it working as an Olympic LP. The first part is so weird, with the strange music as a background noise while they do their elements (amazing elements, I am not questioning the quality, well, maybe her two footed 3S which NEVER gets penalized and this annoys me to death), the second part is a little better, their movements match the music (even though I don't like the music, this is a personal preference) and then the third part starts with that triumphant music which I simply don't get, the program it's too disjointed. I have no problem with programs composed of many different cuts, if there is a logic behind it, but in this program, I fail to see it. Maybe someone who knows better what's behind their programs can tell us. I know I may sound like I am ripping them apart and it's true I prefer S/S but I try to be fair. I loved their LP last season, it was a challenging music to skate to and the program was packed with content, I loved their Black Swan at 2012 Worlds, I even liked their R&J Lp at their World debut. But this LP is their worst so far. And when you think they will skate in Russia, it's even more frustrating. There is so much great music out there to chose from who can make even the last row in the arena get goosebumps...
    About the SP, boy oh boy, I am so tired of the music, but the program is good and, to take back my words, it's a great vehicle for them. Costumes were great, there is a story behind it and they do a great job portraying it. It suits them and their style, so good job. I can see the whole arena clapping on the beat of the music and carrying them along. Also I love that they went back to side by side 3T in the SP, they do it much better than the 3S(which is also a good jump for them, but the quality of their 3T side by side is unmatched)
    I don't think you are ripping them at all. Your post is very fair and probably speaks for how many people feel about JC. JC....

  15. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,378
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirunna View Post
    The little footage I saw from their LP, it looked very, very nice. I am sure both Ingo and David worked hard for their programs this season. I was circumspect at first when I found out their music choice, but now I am curious. I know they have 0 chance to win in Sochi, with the scores V/T post nowadays, regardless of the programs or the actual skating. What I really hope is that S/S skate close to clean and leave the competitive skating on a high note.
    IMHO, if there is a skating God, he will not let V/T's LP win the gold in Sochi. Seriously. I can't believe whomever came up with the idea actually saw it working as an Olympic LP. The first part is so weird, with the strange music as a background noise while they do their elements (amazing elements, I am not questioning the quality, well, maybe her two footed 3S which NEVER gets penalized and this annoys me to death), the second part is a little better, their movements match the music (even though I don't like the music, this is a personal preference) and then the third part starts with that triumphant music which I simply don't get, the program it's too disjointed. I have no problem with programs composed of many different cuts, if there is a logic behind it, but in this program, I fail to see it. Maybe someone who knows better what's behind their programs can tell us. I know I may sound like I am ripping them apart and it's true I prefer S/S but I try to be fair. I loved their LP last season, it was a challenging music to skate to and the program was packed with content, I loved their Black Swan at 2012 Worlds, I even liked their R&J Lp at their World debut. But this LP is their worst so far. And when you think they will skate in Russia, it's even more frustrating. There is so much great music out there to chose from who can make even the last row in the arena get goosebumps...
    About the SP, boy oh boy, I am so tired of the music, but the program is good and, to take back my words, it's a great vehicle for them. Costumes were great, there is a story behind it and they do a great job portraying it. It suits them and their style, so good job. I can see the whole arena clapping on the beat of the music and carrying them along. Also I love that they went back to side by side 3T in the SP, they do it much better than the 3S(which is also a good jump for them, but the quality of their 3T side by side is unmatched)
    only 1 problem , S/S are as expressive and sparkle with chemistry as two rocks in the desert
    they always relied on their innovation and unusual music choices.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •