Is Volosozhar and Trankov's FS Olympic gold worthy? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Is Volosozhar and Trankov's FS Olympic gold worthy?

Redstone

Rinkside
They said that the LP is still in progress, they are working on choreo. Plus, they aren't very pleased with how they performed it in Obersdorf. So, I say, we wait till at least the Grand Prix startsand then decide if it's good enough for Sochi.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
They said that the LP is still in progress, they are working on choreo. Plus, they aren't very pleased with how they performed it in Obersdorf. So, I say, we wait till at least the Grand Prix startsand then decide if it's good enough for Sochi.

That's good news! I'm glad that they are at least being self-aware and self-critical and understanding that while it was well-executed it wasn't entirely well-received. For god's skate (no pun intended) they have to change the music. I don't get what's up with the end of their freeskates having music that sound like it's dragging on and laboured (both last year and this year).

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well comparatively to say Davis and white this is a masterpiece and oly worthy. Just saying...Virtue and Moir might as well give up likewise the Germans are really going to need to skate clean. I like the sp but not so much JC superstar - they should go back to Kawai or ... atl least it isn't another Carmen or another Phantom or another masquerade or another bolero...

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Well comparatively to say Davis and white this is a masterpiece and oly worthy. Just saying...Virtue and Moir might as well give up likewise the Germans are really going to need to skate clean. I like the sp but not so much JC superstar - they should go back to Kawai or ... atl least it isn't another Carmen or another Phantom or another masquerade or another bolero...

You mean like their SP?

BlackPack

Medalist

I'm not thrilled with D&W's "classic" choices, but D&W at least are very sharp and know when they need to make significant changes to their program; their programs are constantly evolving throughout the season. I.e. in their Tango LP one year, they kept stumbling with one move and they finally changed it to something else. At the moment, V&T have the technical goods to get the OGM, but they will not be remembered as one of the greats, not with this program. Tatiana crucifying herself is self-indulgent and lazy choreography. Skate to the music and lose the JC references, if that's all they're going to do.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
can't be that bad. S/S are doing the Nutcracker in the LP

The little footage I saw from their LP, it looked very, very nice. I am sure both Ingo and David worked hard for their programs this season. I was circumspect at first when I found out their music choice, but now I am curious. I know they have 0 chance to win in Sochi, with the scores V/T post nowadays, regardless of the programs or the actual skating. What I really hope is that S/S skate close to clean and leave the competitive skating on a high note.
IMHO, if there is a skating God, he will not let V/T's LP win the gold in Sochi. Seriously. I can't believe whomever came up with the idea actually saw it working as an Olympic LP. The first part is so weird, with the strange music as a background noise while they do their elements (amazing elements, I am not questioning the quality, well, maybe her two footed 3S which NEVER gets penalized and this annoys me to death), the second part is a little better, their movements match the music (even though I don't like the music, this is a personal preference) and then the third part starts with that triumphant music which I simply don't get, the program it's too disjointed. I have no problem with programs composed of many different cuts, if there is a logic behind it, but in this program, I fail to see it. Maybe someone who knows better what's behind their programs can tell us. I know I may sound like I am ripping them apart and it's true I prefer S/S but I try to be fair. I loved their LP last season, it was a challenging music to skate to and the program was packed with content, I loved their Black Swan at 2012 Worlds, I even liked their R&J Lp at their World debut. But this LP is their worst so far. And when you think they will skate in Russia, it's even more frustrating. There is so much great music out there to chose from who can make even the last row in the arena get goosebumps...
About the SP, boy oh boy, I am so tired of the music, but the program is good and, to take back my words, it's a great vehicle for them. Costumes were great, there is a story behind it and they do a great job portraying it. It suits them and their style, so good job. I can see the whole arena clapping on the beat of the music and carrying them along. Also I love that they went back to side by side 3T in the SP, they do it much better than the 3S(which is also a good jump for them, but the quality of their 3T side by side is unmatched)

BlackPack

Medalist
The little footage I saw from their LP, it looked very, very nice. I am sure both Ingo and David worked hard for their programs this season. I was circumspect at first when I found out their music choice, but now I am curious. I know they have 0 chance to win in Sochi, with the scores V/T post nowadays, regardless of the programs or the actual skating. What I really hope is that S/S skate close to clean and leave the competitive skating on a high note.
IMHO, if there is a skating God, he will not let V/T's LP win the gold in Sochi. Seriously. I can't believe whomever came up with the idea actually saw it working as an Olympic LP. The first part is so weird, with the strange music as a background noise while they do their elements (amazing elements, I am not questioning the quality, well, maybe her two footed 3S which NEVER gets penalized and this annoys me to death), the second part is a little better, their movements match the music (even though I don't like the music, this is a personal preference) and then the third part starts with that triumphant music which I simply don't get, the program it's too disjointed. I have no problem with programs composed of many different cuts, if there is a logic behind it, but in this program, I fail to see it. Maybe someone who knows better what's behind their programs can tell us. I know I may sound like I am ripping them apart and it's true I prefer S/S but I try to be fair. I loved their LP last season, it was a challenging music to skate to and the program was packed with content, I loved their Black Swan at 2012 Worlds, I even liked their R&J Lp at their World debut. But this LP is their worst so far. And when you think they will skate in Russia, it's even more frustrating. There is so much great music out there to chose from who can make even the last row in the arena get goosebumps...
About the SP, boy oh boy, I am so tired of the music, but the program is good and, to take back my words, it's a great vehicle for them. Costumes were great, there is a story behind it and they do a great job portraying it. It suits them and their style, so good job. I can see the whole arena clapping on the beat of the music and carrying them along. Also I love that they went back to side by side 3T in the SP, they do it much better than the 3S(which is also a good jump for them, but the quality of their 3T side by side is unmatched)

I don't think you are ripping them at all. Your post is very fair and probably speaks for how many people feel about JC. JC.... :cry:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty

only 1 problem , S/S are as expressive and sparkle with chemistry as two rocks in the desert
they always relied on their innovation and unusual music choices.

BlackPack

Medalist
only 1 problem , S/S are as expressive and sparkle with chemistry as two rocks in the desert
they always relied on their innovation and unusual music choices.

I'm cool if a pair doesn't exude romantic chemistry. I don't think Aliona should be called a rock in a desert, but sometimes Robin can be one. Not many couples have romantic chemistry and charisma, and I think that's fine if there are other redeeming qualities. For S&S their innovation and unique programs are their strength. Nothing wrong with that. I admired G&G's technique but their romantic chemistry was simply too sappy for me.

Icey

Record Breaker
Well, at least it's not "Love Story" !!!! lmao

What are the elements that make a program OGM worthy? I assume the question excludes consideration of performance and execution. i.e just looking at it on paper: choreography, elements to be excited, BV etc.

GF2445

Record Breaker
They deserve to win and they have what it takes to grabe that olympic gold without question but this program! The music edits! And the yellow pant!! Too late to change theprogram but enough time to make some changes to package it better.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Just one word: NO. NO. NO.
I hope someone will share our opinion and suggest them at least to change the music cuts and the choreography a bit...
But the sad thing is that they WILL win for sure, as long as they don't make incredible mistakes (and even if this happens, they could still receive 9.75 and 10 for PCS and win), especially because the Olympics are in Russia... :bang::disapp:

hanca

Record Breaker
Also, about the whole crucified Tatiana thing at the end, the IOC "prohibits demonstration or political, religious, or racial propaganda in any Olympic sites, venues, or areas". What's the IOC going to do?! :biggrin:

I don't think IOC will do anything. after all, Miky Ando crossed herself in the middle of her SP in the Olympics 2010 and nothing happened either.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Too late to change the program but enough time to make some changes to package it better.

It's not to late, S/S changed the LP in the last olympic season in the middle of their 2 GP events and it worked out (the change I mean, it was way better than the first program and it was smooth and refined from the first time they skated it in a competition). They can change it but I doubt they will. PCS are over 9, why bother? Plus, maybe they like it...
He must change his costume, the final pose is too tacky and something must be done to the first part of the program. That one is the most problematic IMO, it way to weird

BlackPack

Medalist
It's not to late, S/S changed the LP in the last olympic season in the middle of their 2 GP events and it worked out (the change I mean, it was way better than the first program and it was smooth and refined from the first time they skated it in a competition). They can change it but I doubt they will. PCS are over 9, why bother? Plus, maybe they like it...
He must change his costume, the final pose is too tacky and something must be done to the first part of the program. That one is the most problematic IMO, it way to weird

One of the weirdest programs of all time ... it *already* makes the list. Remember Yagudin's Banana program?

lavender

Record Breaker
I don’t think the program itself is a OG program but I don’t think it matters to the judges after seeing those scores at Nelbehorn. I truly had a hard time getting through this long program. I couldn't wait for it to end but I wanted to see it once. That was probably the last time I will watch that program although I think their technical (throws, jumps) are superb.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
I think that Trankov is more artistic than Tatiana. He is excellent for her. She wouldn't have found the better partner IMHO. They complete each other. He is a strong skater.