Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Is Davis and White's FD gold mdeal worthy? (i.e, Are they getting lazy and unmotivated?)

Medalist
    I'm a big fan of D/W, so of course my opinion is coloured by that, but yes, I think the programs have potential. The FD in particular is already much better than I expected, I already prefer the concept to last year's program. They bring drama to the music without getting frantic about that, which is something they have learned over the years. I agree with other posters that their tango FD was crucial in that respect, they had to be precise and controlled there and skate "together" throughout the thing, while still displaying their trademark attack and speed. It's perhaps even my favourite program of theirs, I also thought the coldness and aggression they displayed there worked really well, not every tango has to be sultry.

Giving my two cents to the dreaded rivalry discussion: I think what V/M, despite all their brilliant qualities and more natural talent, lack compared to D/W now is sharpness, the way D/W are just on point when presenting their programs. I thought that V/M's Carmen was choreographically superior to D/W's FD, but V/M struggled with it all year and when they finally got it right at Worlds IMO it still wasn't as sharp and forceful as a program with that theme needed to be. And so D/W won on superior performance of a fine, but inferior choreography. They elevated their material in a way V/M couldn't. And of course they had the superior SD, I thought Zueva or whoever makes the choreographic decisions there, really didn't serve V/M well with their SD that totally de-emphasized the polka aspect of, you know, the polka SD.

I'm sure a lot of that has to do with V/M constantly having to manage Tessa's injury, training has to be paced accordingly etc. When you look at their Olympic programs, or how they skated in the FD at Worlds 2008, there's just a snap and a precision there that they don't quite have now IMO. But of course they are still really brilliant and I appreciate that they went away from the "young love" FDs that really dominated their repertoire until 2010. Seeing them branch out and do interesting new concepts has been a treat.

Whereas D/W really pushed themselves in other ways. I already said that I think the tango was a milestone for them, a big risk to do an FD that actually accentuates your weaknesses, without sweeping music etc. and they struggled with it all season (Charlie in particular IMO) but at Worlds it was brilliant. Die Fledermaus had them do something light and airy, which was something they hadn't really emphasized in FDs until then. And Notre Dame was basically "new and improved D/W doing their trademark high drama", it wasn't as out of control and wild as the program would have been skated by them in 2009 or 2010 IMO, their take this time around was much more nuanced. IMO the program, despite not being the height of creativity, really highlighted how far they'd come since 2010. The FD this year also doesn't go the obvious, arm-flailing "all action all the time" route, both music cuts and choreography are more subtle and detailed than that.

Custom Title
    I've loved almost all of V/M's ODs or SDs but never liked a single one of their FD. The famed Mahler program was completely cheesy to me. Their Carmen is as laughable as most of the modern dance performances I see every year. I love modern dance, but the creative apparatus for dance is just getting empty and very pretentious these days, most times with academic buzzword concepts and no sincere emotional attachment to hang on to (like how I felt about V/M's Carmen. I've no idea what they wanted to express, apart from "bringing modern dance to the ice"). D/W's FDs however always interested me. They are better ballet actors and could bring on a good classic act when you could just look at their feet and movement, not their faces or who they are off ice.

But this one not so much. I don't really like either of their program this year, though the elements and complexity are there. I would much rather them do another grand ballet to finish off their career (or not). Last year's Giselle SD was great. I would love V/M to do a tango or something, but I guess they are going for another Mahler. W/P's tango, though I can't imagine being very popular, is quite pure to the art form.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noidont View Post
    I've loved almost all of V/M's ODs or SDs but never liked a single one of their FD.
    Strange, I feel quite opposite. Their SD in 2010 is the only one I find particularly memorable, whereas I think their Free Dances are usually great (although I agree Mahler is totally overrated).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by noidont View Post
    D/W's FDs however always interested me. They are better ballet actors and could bring on a good classic act when you could just look at their feet and movement, not their faces or who they are off ice.
    Hahaha, a three-year old kid hops a a few steps, and her parents call her a ballerina. That's what happened here.

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    I ,too, desperately wanted to see V/M do a Tango FD..any year.. but I suppose if they had, people would still be saying it was repetitive, since they're totally suited to it . They're one of the few couples who really connect with that dance..ah, well..

But you know, much as I love Meryl and Charlie ( and I do ) I have to disagree about their use of ballet. Their Giselle SD was a good program and certainly , it was fun and the audience could relate to the music.. But what I'll be going back to watch will be Bollywood, or the Charleston.

I just had to bite my tongue last year when some people were raving about Meryl being just like a ballerina.. If it was up to me , as a former ballet student , performer and teacher, ballet is the last form I would put Meryl into. She's not the right body type and her back and arms are little too stiff to really do the form justice. I think she's terrifically suited to more modern forms , like broadway dance styles,or even modern dance with it's many strong positions . Bollywood was great because the movements were sharp, had a lot of bent elbows and posed hands , and of course the playfulness suited her to a T.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by colleen o'neill View Post
    I ,too, desperately wanted to see V/M do a Tango FD..any year.. but I suppose if they had, people would still be saying it was repetitive, since they're totally suited to it . They're one of the few couples who really connect with that dance..ah, well..

But you know, much as I love Meryl and Charlie ( and I do ) I have to disagree about their use of ballet. Their Giselle SD was a good program and certainly , it was fun and the audience could relate to the music.. But what I'll be going back to watch will be Bollywood, or the Charleston.

I just had to bite my tongue last year when some people were raving about Meryl being just like a ballerina.. If it was up to me , as a former ballet student , performer and teacher, ballet is the last form I would put Meryl into. She's not the right body type and her back and arms are little too stiff to really do the form justice. I think she's terrifically suited to more modern forms , like broadway dance styles,or even modern dance with it's many strong positions . Bollywood was great because the movements were sharp, had a lot of bent elbows and posed hands , and of course the playfulness suited her to a T.
    Actually I tend to think of D/W and V/M as the contemporary equivalents of Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire. Great performers, different styles. But one style is not inherently "better" than the other. I just think we're damn lucky to be living in the era where they are competing.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by WeakAnkles View Post
    Actually I tend to think of D/W and V/M as the contemporary equivalents of Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire. Great performers, different styles. But one style is not inherently "better" than the other. I just think we're damn lucky to be living in the era where they are competing.
    I fully agree with your statement. I personally much more prefer V/M, but quite able to understand the D/W die hard fans.

Custom Title
    This FD performance was crisp, sharp and precise, very impressive for such early performance in the season. It showcased their strength, athleticism and speed perfectly. Ice Dance should be a sport first and foremost and what they have done is enforce this notion, which is perfect for an Olympic year. Any athlete, even those who don't skate, can appreciate their work as athletes do, recognizing the enormous effort required to lay that out on the ice.

If anything, this shows they are super hard working and totally motivated.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    Ice Dance should be a sport first and foremost and what they have done is enforce this notion, which is perfect for an Olympic year. Any athlete, even those who don't skate, can appreciate their work as athletes do, recognizing the enormous effort required to lay that out on the ice.

I'm agree, but Charlie White's dying swan action after every single performance makes me tired.
    How it happen Mery Davis NEVER theatrecally dying after the same hard work.
    I always thinking that is a part of their "performance". Leave it, PLEASE!!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    This FD performance was crisp, sharp and precise, very impressive for such early performance in the season. It showcased their strength, athleticism and speed perfectly. Ice Dance should be a sport first and foremost and what they have done is enforce this notion, which is perfect for an Olympic year. Any athlete, even those who don't skate, can appreciate their work as athletes do, recognizing the enormous effort required to lay that out on the ice.

Wow, finally someone faces the ugly truth. Even D/W fans don't think they put dancing first and most. Good, let's grab a few hockey players to do figure skating then. They are ultimate athlete, so why not? How absurd?! And just to be clear, V/M is not really slower than anyone else. They move with the music, and emphasize every single note, not just speeding around like a truck driver.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdeal View Post
    I'm agree, but Charlie White's dying swan action after every single performance makes me tired.
    How it happen Mery Davis NEVER theatrecally dying after the same hard work.
    I always thinking that is a part of their "performance". Leave it, PLEASE!!
    It could have been his asthma. I think he leaves nothing out, so he's pretty spent by the end.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    It could have been his asthma. I think he leaves nothing out, so he's pretty spent by the end.
    Good. Next time when D/W fans use Tessa's legs as the excuse of unfair judging, Charlie's asthma should be mentioned at the same time. It shows they have physical weakness,too

Quote Originally Posted by apple123 View Post
    Good. Next time when D/W fans use Tessa's legs as the excuse of unfair judging, Charlie's asthma should be mentioned at the same time. It shows they have physical weakness,too
    Not sure I really understand the tone of your comment, but for what it's worth, Meryl Davis also has virtually NO depth perception. How she made it so far in the sport amazes me given that fact.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    Not sure I really understand the tone of your comment, but for what it's worth, Meryl Davis also has virtually NO depth perception. How she made it so far in the sport amazes me given that fact.
    Huh, really? That's interesting. Where did read about that? That is pretty amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by colleen o'neill View Post

I actually do watch Giselle over and over. To me, it's like you're in the middle of your ballet class and suddenly you say, OK, the heck with that, let's break into a Polka.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast