Thread: Have You Ever Been to the Olympics?

Hybrid View

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar

Have You Ever Been to the Olympics?

Obviously the closest I've ever gotten to the Olympics was right here in my own back yard at the 2010 Vancouver/Whistler games. However, due to logistics and high ticket prices I never got to any events in person. I did see evidence of the games as the flame passed through town after town even my stomping grounds of New Westminster. I remember all the big buzz and preparation that went into the games and how many people protested at the start but caved once the games got underway. Most people were annoyed with the traffic tie ups and gouging to us taxpayers as preparation took its toll - but all was forgiven and eventually forgotten. Anyway just curious who on Golden Skate has ever attended a Games, will anyone venture over to Sochi? Winter Games or Summer Games - briefly describe your Olympic memories!

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Alas, I have never been. We looked into going to the Lake Placid Olympics, since it was close to where we were living in Vermont at the time, but the cost was ski high, the way the tickets were offered was unappealing (buckets like men's long with pentathlon & lugs and then you had to buy another set like men's SP with cross country relay and long distance speed skating, just to cover a single discipline - and that was without the compulsory figures), and the logistics with the buses and so forth we impossible. But I've always regretted not going.

By my 5th Olympics as a spectator I was able to afford the trip. However, the money always went elsewhere and I preferred it that way. At one point in my life I'd like to go, but it's not a must. I highly enjoy watching it live with other fans though. There are quite a few hardcore fans who go to many important competitions. I thought of going to Eric Bompard as I go to Paris once every year or so, but hasn't happened yet. I actually find it more comfortable to be at home listening to good commentators and watching it live, while being able to check on details of the performance. The older I get the less I like to travel, especially with the hassle of traveling these days, post-9-11. I definitely would have liked to be there for Shen and Zhao's 2003 W LP and 1994 Olympic pairs event.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Shen & Zhao's 2003 Worlds LP was wonderful live I felt so privileged to have been there for that Worlds.

Live competitions are almost always worth it for me, because so many performers are better live than on TV. The only competition I ever regretted spending the money for was 1992 Worlds in Oakland.

Summer Olympics - Atlanta 1996 - for a few days - our big vacation that year within 2 days driving distance. We got to see judo, track & field, field hockey, weight lifting, one night of individual gymnastics finals, & the gymnastics exhibition (our seats were up in heaven, but it was a thrill to be there). We tried to get swimming/diving tickets, but it was done by lottery, so we were happy to get what we got.

My ultimate dream would be to attend the Winter Olympcis for figure skating - especially the men's event.

Custom Title
    I attended the Salt Lake City and Vancouver Olympics. For Salt Lake, a group of six of us rented a villa at the Solitude Ski Resort, which is about 30 minutes from downtown SLC. The resort was gorgeous, and we got to do a bit of skiing. However, would have been more exciting to be staying in the midst of the action. We attended the Pairs FS as well as the Men's SP and FS. We splurged on great seats for the men's SP, and the baseball player Steve Garvey was actually sitting in the row behind us! Other highlights included seeing the pairs controversy in person, and then seeing it played out on TV; and eating next to Katarina Witt at PF Changs. We also did some sightseeing....our lapsed Mormon friend who lives in SLC brought us to the Top of the Mormon Center for lunch (no caffeinated beverages), and we even did some genealogical research at the Mormon Research Center. One note on the venues....it was just after 9/11, so the security was intense.

For Vancouver, we stayed right downtown in a timeshare. It was a great choice, as we were a short, free bus ride to the skating venue and got to witness the nightly informal parades of fans celebrating the medals of the day. As in SLC, we attended the Pairs Free, and Men's SP and LP. Undoubtedly, the highlight of the trip was witnessing Evan winning the OGM by the tiniest of margins. Of course, we did some sightseeing as well. Highlights included lunch at the Culinary Institute; a long, picturesque walk to the farmer's market; a brief visit to the "LGBT House; and eating breakfast at a restaurant where the waiters insult you....hilarious and delicious.

BTW, for both adventures, I booked the hotels myself, and purchased tickets through the official ticket vendor. Definitely cheaper than booking a tour! I would estimate that total cost for SLC was about $2,500 per person and Vancouver, $3,000.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Shen & Zhao's 2003 Worlds LP was wonderful live I felt so privileged to have been there for that Worlds.

Live competitions are almost always worth it for me, because so many performers are better live than on TV. The only competition I ever regretted spending the money for was 1992 Worlds in Oakland.
    Why the regret for 1992 Worlds?

Thanks everyone for your wonderful memories and stories about the Olympics. My one regret about not being at the Vancouver Olympics was not seeing Joannie Rochette's heartbreaking skate in person after the news of her mother's death. I remember hearing the news on the radio and thinking "oh poor Joannie, what will she do?" I was so proud of her as I watched her Olympic moments on tv - it felt as though I was there. I imagine there was not a dry eye in the arena. I did get a chance to finally meet Joannie at a small venue in Langley BC last December. They had a meet and greet after their Holiday on Ice tour. I gave Joannie a hug. What a sweetheart! I would have also liked to see Virtue/Moir's Olympic Gold skate, but I have seen them do a version of it at one of the Stars on Ice tours. It must be surreal though to see the elite skaters at the Olympics. Oh well....thank goodness for TV and the internet!

Custom Title
    I attended the ladies gymnastic team final at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics. I got to watch Team USA win gold, then I went home and watched it again on the NBC coverage.

Custom Title
    Never been to the Olympics but if i had one moment that i wish i could have been there it would be Lake Placid 1980 and the US vs the Soviet Union in hockey. One of the great moments in sports history.

Custom Title
    Volunteered for and attended Salt Lake 2002. I got to be an ice patcher and stood on Olympic Ice. Saw every skating event and many of the practices. Lots of wonderful memories. Everything I hoped and dreamed it would be.

Custom Title
    I got really lucky when Beijing got the 2008 Summer Games and had them come to me so no traveling logistics was involved. Tickets were cheap and I managed to procure a lot of them, so I ended up going to 32 sessions in 17 different sports, lots of them finals like the Womens IAA gymnastics, Phelps in the pool. It was exhausting but the sports events and athletes were brilliant, even the ones I was less familiar with. What was not great was the very oppressive and strange atmosphere in the city caused by overbearing government security.

I'd love to see a Winter Games at least once in life, but never previously had the chance--either timing, money, or both an issue. Sochi was a non-starter for all kinds of personal/life reasons. Pyeongchang 2018 might be a possibility but I think ticket costs will just keep escalating into the stratosphere and justifying the cost is getting harder for me, at least. I'll probably be too decrepit to travel by 2022. Might have to content myself with a World Championships some year.