Have You Ever Been to the Olympics? | Golden Skate

Have You Ever Been to the Olympics?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Obviously the closest I've ever gotten to the Olympics was right here in my own back yard at the 2010 Vancouver/Whistler games. However, due to logistics and high ticket prices I never got to any events in person. I did see evidence of the games as the flame passed through town after town even my stomping grounds of New Westminster. I remember all the big buzz and preparation that went into the games and how many people protested at the start but caved once the games got underway. Most people were annoyed with the traffic tie ups and gouging to us taxpayers as preparation took its toll - but all was forgiven and eventually forgotten. Anyway just curious who on Golden Skate has ever attended a Games, will anyone venture over to Sochi? Winter Games or Summer Games - briefly describe your Olympic memories!:biggrin:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Alas, I have never been. We looked into going to the Lake Placid Olympics, since it was close to where we were living in Vermont at the time, but the cost was ski high, the way the tickets were offered was unappealing (buckets like men's long with pentathlon & lugs and then you had to buy another set like men's SP with cross country relay and long distance speed skating, just to cover a single discipline - and that was without the compulsory figures), and the logistics with the buses and so forth we impossible. But I've always regretted not going.

BlackPack

Medalist
By my 5th Olympics as a spectator I was able to afford the trip. However, the money always went elsewhere and I preferred it that way. At one point in my life I'd like to go, but it's not a must. I highly enjoy watching it live with other fans though. There are quite a few hardcore fans who go to many important competitions. I thought of going to Eric Bompard as I go to Paris once every year or so, but hasn't happened yet. I actually find it more comfortable to be at home listening to good commentators and watching it live, while being able to check on details of the performance. The older I get the less I like to travel, especially with the hassle of traveling these days, post-9-11. I definitely would have liked to be there for Shen and Zhao's 2003 W LP and 1994 Olympic pairs event.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Shen & Zhao's 2003 Worlds LP was wonderful live :love: I felt so privileged to have been there for that Worlds.

Live competitions are almost always worth it for me, because so many performers are better live than on TV. The only competition I ever regretted spending the money for was 1992 Worlds in Oakland.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Summer Olympics - Atlanta 1996 - for a few days - our big vacation that year within 2 days driving distance. We got to see judo, track & field, field hockey, weight lifting, one night of individual gymnastics finals, & the gymnastics exhibition (our seats were up in heaven, but it was a thrill to be there). We tried to get swimming/diving tickets, but it was done by lottery, so we were happy to get what we got.

My ultimate dream would be to attend the Winter Olympcis for figure skating - especially the men's event.

Sjs5572

Final Flight
I attended the Salt Lake City and Vancouver Olympics. For Salt Lake, a group of six of us rented a villa at the Solitude Ski Resort, which is about 30 minutes from downtown SLC. The resort was gorgeous, and we got to do a bit of skiing. However, would have been more exciting to be staying in the midst of the action. We attended the Pairs FS as well as the Men's SP and FS. We splurged on great seats for the men's SP, and the baseball player Steve Garvey was actually sitting in the row behind us! Other highlights included seeing the pairs controversy in person, and then seeing it played out on TV; and eating next to Katarina Witt at PF Changs. We also did some sightseeing....our lapsed Mormon friend who lives in SLC brought us to the Top of the Mormon Center for lunch (no caffeinated beverages), and we even did some genealogical research at the Mormon Research Center. One note on the venues....it was just after 9/11, so the security was intense.

For Vancouver, we stayed right downtown in a timeshare. It was a great choice, as we were a short, free bus ride to the skating venue and got to witness the nightly informal parades of fans celebrating the medals of the day. As in SLC, we attended the Pairs Free, and Men's SP and LP. Undoubtedly, the highlight of the trip was witnessing Evan winning the OGM by the tiniest of margins. Of course, we did some sightseeing as well. Highlights included lunch at the Culinary Institute; a long, picturesque walk to the farmer's market; a brief visit to the "LGBT House; and eating breakfast at a restaurant where the waiters insult you....hilarious and delicious.

BTW, for both adventures, I booked the hotels myself, and purchased tickets through the official ticket vendor. Definitely cheaper than booking a tour! I would estimate that total cost for SLC was about $2,500 per person and Vancouver, $3,000.

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
I was lucky enough to attend Nagano Ladies' SP and Vancouver Men's SP & LP! I had to get the tickets from one of those scalper websites. It was obviously exciting and I'll remember it forever (I saw Daisuke on the night before the LP!!), but as a skating fan I enjoyed attending Words better. The Olympics are waaaaay too expensive, and for the price I paid (it escapes me- but Vancouver Men's SP around $400 and LP $700- Laides' events I could't afford), the seats were not great and I was surrounded by "non hardcore" audience with rather subdue energy!

Worlds on the other hand were fantastic! Nice 2012 was so mind-blowing with the spectacular showing by the men and the enthusiastic European audience (like a football match- not that I've attended any!). LA 2009 was great with Yuna and Miki! And all this for MUCH less money. LA was pretty reasonable (less than $200 I think?) I've got a family there so that helped. I attended Nice 2000 too- Michelle was great!

So overall, unless you have plenty of spare cash, Worlds are better value IMO. Olympics I'll enjoy on TV :)

Icey

Record Breaker
No and I really have had no desire to. I would probably miss half or more of the events I wanted to see. And there are some events, I really think one sees better on tv than in person, and one of those is figure skating, which is really the only event I care about seeing.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Being an Australian living in Sydney, I was able to see the 2000 Sydney games. I got to see Cathy Freeman take the gold medal in the track event. It was spectacular.

gkelly

Record Breaker
In 1993 I was first getting obsessed by skating and planned to attend the 1994 US Nationals.

My father asked if I would like to go to the 1994 Olympics in Norway if he could get a ticket to one of the events from his contacts at CBS. We looked into it and it turned out I was able to find a place to stay in a private home in Hamar about a mile from the figure skating venue, and moderately priced plane tickets. So I went for it.

The ticket we got from CBS was for the free dance, because I was especially interested in seeing the showdown between Torvill & Dean vs. Usova & Zhulin. (When I was actually there, however, Grishuk & Platov's free dance blew them both away IMO, so I believed they deserved the win.)

I was there for a week, and fortunately there was a kiosk outside the venue where people could line up to buy returned tickets on the day of the event, so I was able to get tickets to the OD, men's freeskate, and ladies' short program as well. I watched the CDs on TV when I first arrived, extremely jetlagged, and I made a tourist trip to Oslo on the interim day when there was speedskating instead of figure skating.

I estimated that it was about 0 degrees Farenheit or a bit lower, so I wore several pairs of socks and pants for walking to and from the arena and waiting in line outside. But after living through a week of 27 below the month before in Wisconsin, it felt like less of a hardship.

BlackPack

Medalist
In 1993 I was first getting obsessed by skating and planned to attend the 1994 US Nationals.

My father asked if I would like to go to the 1994 Olympics in Norway if he could get a ticket to one of the events from his contacts at CBS. We looked into it and it turned out I was able to find a place to stay in a private home in Hamar about a mile from the figure skating venue, and moderately priced plane tickets. So I went for it.

The ticket we got from CBS was for the free dance, because I was especially interested in seeing the showdown between Torvill & Dean vs. Usova & Zhulin. (When I was actually there, however, Grishuk & Platov's free dance blew them both away IMO, so I believed they deserved the win.)

I was there for a week, and fortunately there was a kiosk outside the venue where people could line up to buy returned tickets on the day of the event, so I was able to get tickets to the OD, men's freeskate, and ladies' short program as well. I watched the CDs on TV when I first arrived, extremely jetlagged, and I made a tourist trip to Oslo on the interim day when there was speedskating instead of figure skating.

I estimated that it was about 0 degrees Farenheit or a bit lower, so I wore several pairs of socks and pants for walking to and from the arena and waiting in line outside. But after living through a week of 27 below the week before in Wisconsin, it felt like less of a hardship.

:clap: Sounds awesome, I wish I could live through that too.

heyang

Record Breaker
I've considered it a few times, especially when it's been in the US or Canada. The prices for tickets were just too high, but that was partly because I wanted to see the Opening Ceremony. Instead, I watched in HiDef at home. Nice and warm.

My friends and I have debated Winter vs Summer games. While I enjoy watching both on TV, I don't think I'd want to sit and watch swim meets all day or track and field events all day. I've been to minor gymnastics events and the problem with them is that you can only really see the apparatus in front of you. So, Winter games 'won' the debate.

My uncle worked for Kodak during the 1980 LA games and was able to get several event tickets for his immediate family. So my cousins have been to a couple of events.

Another friend won a trip for 4 to the Barcelona games, sponsored by Coca-Cola. They were given a bunch of pins and allowed to go to the sponsors private meet and greet's. Her father got to trade pins with Magic Johnson!

SkateFan66

On the Ice
I attended the ladies gymnastic team final at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics. I got to watch Team USA win gold, then I went home and watched it again on the NBC coverage. :)

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Never been to the Olympics but if i had one moment that i wish i could have been there it would be Lake Placid 1980 and the US vs the Soviet Union in hockey. One of the great moments in sports history.

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Volunteered for and attended Salt Lake 2002. I got to be an ice patcher and stood on Olympic Ice. Saw every skating event and many of the practices. Lots of wonderful memories. Everything I hoped and dreamed it would be.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
I got really lucky when Beijing got the 2008 Summer Games and had them come to me so no traveling logistics was involved. Tickets were cheap and I managed to procure a lot of them, so I ended up going to 32 sessions in 17 different sports, lots of them finals like the Womens IAA gymnastics, Phelps in the pool. It was exhausting but the sports events and athletes were brilliant, even the ones I was less familiar with. What was not great was the very oppressive and strange atmosphere in the city caused by overbearing government security.

I'd love to see a Winter Games at least once in life, but never previously had the chance--either timing, money, or both an issue. Sochi was a non-starter for all kinds of personal/life reasons. Pyeongchang 2018 might be a possibility but I think ticket costs will just keep escalating into the stratosphere and justifying the cost is getting harder for me, at least. I'll probably be too decrepit to travel by 2022. Might have to content myself with a World Championships some year.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
I attended the Salt Lake City and Vancouver Olympics. For Salt Lake, a group of six of us rented a villa at the Solitude Ski Resort, which is about 30 minutes from downtown SLC. The resort was gorgeous, and we got to do a bit of skiing. However, would have been more exciting to be staying in the midst of the action. We attended the Pairs FS as well as the Men's SP and FS. We splurged on great seats for the men's SP, and the baseball player Steve Garvey was actually sitting in the row behind us! Other highlights included seeing the pairs controversy in person, and then seeing it played out on TV; and eating next to Katarina Witt at PF Changs. We also did some sightseeing....our lapsed Mormon friend who lives in SLC brought us to the Top of the Mormon Center for lunch (no caffeinated beverages), and we even did some genealogical research at the Mormon Research Center. One note on the venues....it was just after 9/11, so the security was intense.

For Vancouver, we stayed right downtown in a timeshare. It was a great choice, as we were a short, free bus ride to the skating venue and got to witness the nightly informal parades of fans celebrating the medals of the day. As in SLC, we attended the Pairs Free, and Men's SP and LP. Undoubtedly, the highlight of the trip was witnessing Evan winning the OGM by the tiniest of margins. Of course, we did some sightseeing as well. Highlights included lunch at the Culinary Institute; a long, picturesque walk to the farmer's market; a brief visit to the "LGBT House; and eating breakfast at a restaurant where the waiters insult you....hilarious and delicious.

BTW, for both adventures, I booked the hotels myself, and purchased tickets through the official ticket vendor. Definitely cheaper than booking a tour! I would estimate that total cost for SLC was about $2,500 per person and Vancouver, $3,000.

I am not surprised what it cost you for Vancouver!!

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Shen & Zhao's 2003 Worlds LP was wonderful live :love: I felt so privileged to have been there for that Worlds.

Live competitions are almost always worth it for me, because so many performers are better live than on TV. The only competition I ever regretted spending the money for was 1992 Worlds in Oakland.

Why the regret for 1992 Worlds?

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Thanks everyone for your wonderful memories and stories about the Olympics. My one regret about not being at the Vancouver Olympics was not seeing Joannie Rochette's heartbreaking skate in person after the news of her mother's death. I remember hearing the news on the radio and thinking "oh poor Joannie, what will she do?" I was so proud of her as I watched her Olympic moments on tv - it felt as though I was there. I imagine there was not a dry eye in the arena. I did get a chance to finally meet Joannie at a small venue in Langley BC last December. They had a meet and greet after their Holiday on Ice tour. I gave Joannie a hug. What a sweetheart! I would have also liked to see Virtue/Moir's Olympic Gold skate, but I have seen them do a version of it at one of the Stars on Ice tours. It must be surreal though to see the elite skaters at the Olympics. Oh well....thank goodness for TV and the internet! :clap:

GypsyFe

On the Ice
I too attended the Summer Olympics in Atlanta 1996 for a few days during the first week. Saw swimming, tennis and girls' gymnastics where we were lucky enough to see the USA girls perform. Yes the seats were sky high but what an exciting time. Tennis and swimming seats were very close. Just a thrill to be mingling with elite athletes. An experience I recommend highly.