Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Have You Ever Been to the Olympics?

Custom Title
    I got really lucky when Beijing got the 2008 Summer Games and had them come to me so no traveling logistics was involved. Tickets were cheap and I managed to procure a lot of them, so I ended up going to 32 sessions in 17 different sports, lots of them finals like the Womens IAA gymnastics, Phelps in the pool. It was exhausting but the sports events and athletes were brilliant, even the ones I was less familiar with. What was not great was the very oppressive and strange atmosphere in the city caused by overbearing government security.

I'd love to see a Winter Games at least once in life, but never previously had the chance--either timing, money, or both an issue. Sochi was a non-starter for all kinds of personal/life reasons. Pyeongchang 2018 might be a possibility but I think ticket costs will just keep escalating into the stratosphere and justifying the cost is getting harder for me, at least. I'll probably be too decrepit to travel by 2022. Might have to content myself with a World Championships some year.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sjs5572 View Post
    I attended the Salt Lake City and Vancouver Olympics. For Salt Lake, a group of six of us rented a villa at the Solitude Ski Resort, which is about 30 minutes from downtown SLC. The resort was gorgeous, and we got to do a bit of skiing. However, would have been more exciting to be staying in the midst of the action. We attended the Pairs FS as well as the Men's SP and FS. We splurged on great seats for the men's SP, and the baseball player Steve Garvey was actually sitting in the row behind us! Other highlights included seeing the pairs controversy in person, and then seeing it played out on TV; and eating next to Katarina Witt at PF Changs. We also did some sightseeing....our lapsed Mormon friend who lives in SLC brought us to the Top of the Mormon Center for lunch (no caffeinated beverages), and we even did some genealogical research at the Mormon Research Center. One note on the venues....it was just after 9/11, so the security was intense.

For Vancouver, we stayed right downtown in a timeshare. It was a great choice, as we were a short, free bus ride to the skating venue and got to witness the nightly informal parades of fans celebrating the medals of the day. As in SLC, we attended the Pairs Free, and Men's SP and LP. Undoubtedly, the highlight of the trip was witnessing Evan winning the OGM by the tiniest of margins. Of course, we did some sightseeing as well. Highlights included lunch at the Culinary Institute; a long, picturesque walk to the farmer's market; a brief visit to the "LGBT House; and eating breakfast at a restaurant where the waiters insult you....hilarious and delicious.

BTW, for both adventures, I booked the hotels myself, and purchased tickets through the official ticket vendor. Definitely cheaper than booking a tour! I would estimate that total cost for SLC was about $2,500 per person and Vancouver, $3,000.
    I am not surprised what it cost you for Vancouver!!

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Shen & Zhao's 2003 Worlds LP was wonderful live I felt so privileged to have been there for that Worlds.

Live competitions are almost always worth it for me, because so many performers are better live than on TV. The only competition I ever regretted spending the money for was 1992 Worlds in Oakland.
    Why the regret for 1992 Worlds?

Thanks everyone for your wonderful memories and stories about the Olympics. My one regret about not being at the Vancouver Olympics was not seeing Joannie Rochette's heartbreaking skate in person after the news of her mother's death. I remember hearing the news on the radio and thinking "oh poor Joannie, what will she do?" I was so proud of her as I watched her Olympic moments on tv - it felt as though I was there. I imagine there was not a dry eye in the arena. I did get a chance to finally meet Joannie at a small venue in Langley BC last December. They had a meet and greet after their Holiday on Ice tour. I gave Joannie a hug. What a sweetheart! I would have also liked to see Virtue/Moir's Olympic Gold skate, but I have seen them do a version of it at one of the Stars on Ice tours. It must be surreal though to see the elite skaters at the Olympics. Oh well....thank goodness for TV and the internet!

Rinkside
    I too attended the Summer Olympics in Atlanta 1996 for a few days during the first week. Saw swimming, tennis and girls' gymnastics where we were lucky enough to see the USA girls perform. Yes the seats were sky high but what an exciting time. Tennis and swimming seats were very close. Just a thrill to be mingling with elite athletes. An experience I recommend highly.

Custom Title
    I attended 6 Olympic Winter Games, worked 5 of them. Spent 3 weeks in Calgary, 5 weeks in Albertville, 5 weeks in Lillehammer, 5 weeks in Nagano and 3 weeks in SLC. All were memorable.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladskater View Post
    Why the regret for 1992 Worlds?
    AFAIR, I have never seen so many falls in an event in men's & ladies. It was more like a who's still standing competition rather than a skating event. The rink seemed quite narrow, and I'm sure that did not help, particularly as skaters had to have been focussing on filling up an Olympic size rink that year.
    Plus, at the time, I had to spend more than I had for any previous competition, and taking the subway to Oakland and back from San Francisco was not the greatest, either.

Custom Title
    When the 2010 Winter Olympics rolled into Vancouver, I was an 18 year old highschool student with no income, so I was quite limited in what I could attend. I ended up selected a single event, the Ladies Short, and purchased tickets for myself and my family for ~50$ each. This was my third live event after the 2008 Nats and 2009 4CCs which were also in Vancouver. Being in the crowd was pretty awesome, and it was interesting how the majority of the attendees in my section (cheapest seats) didn't know much at all about figure skating but were still so enthusiastic about each performance. I also remembering crying after Joannie Rochette's skate, and being incredibly excited over Yuna's performance.

One funny thing was, on the day of the Mens Gold medal hockey game, my sister and I ran into Brian Orser randomly downtown. No one else around us recognized him, but he was nice about taking a picture with us.

The best memory I have though is of the atmosphere in the city during the event. In public, I find Vancouverites often keep to themselves and go the route of 'mind your own business', but for those two weeks, you couldn't walk down a street in the city core with a dozen people high fiving you, and on every other skytrain/bus people would randomly start singing the canadian anthem and cheering. It was really heart warming to see everyone in my city really buying into the Olympic spirit, even those who couldn't afford tickets would participate by attending the live public viewing of the hockey games or buying a pair of the $10 mittens or something like that. The schools in the city also made an effort to get students involved, I remember there was a draw for a good 20 or so tickets for students to attend the opening ceremony. I unfortunately wasn't one of the lucky ones, but a number of my good friends who wouldn't have been able to afford to go to an Olympic event otherwise were able to attend. The whole school also went out to see the olympic torch passing through, and they organized for a winter olympic athlete (can't remember who) to visit the school and interact with the students.

Overall it was a really great experience for me, from the perspective of a youth in the host city.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    That sounds wonderful, pitterpatter!

Custom Title
    What a wonderful experience! Thanks for letting us know what it was like, pitterpatter.

Kkonas & pitterpatter, how awesome for both of you!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2