Is it glaring that Trankov is a worse skater than Tatiana? | Golden Skate

Is it glaring that Trankov is a worse skater than Tatiana?

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Artistic wise and in terms of their technical abilities..If he is worse than her in your opinion, then who could be her equal? Is there such skater?

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
He is obviously an excellent skater and a better skater than Tatiana's husband. Just compare what he and Tatiana have achieved vs Tatiana and her husband as a team. However I would still say yes Tatiana is overall the better skater. Just like when Maxim was with his former partner Maria Mukhortova, he was the superior skater, both in technical ability and overall style and presentation. Now with Tatiana the reverse is true.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Artistic wise and in terms of their technical abilities..If he is worse than her in your opinion, than who could be her equal? Is there such skater?

I think its the opposite Maksim has better speed and more expressive than Tatiana

bramweld

Record Breaker
Maybe glaring is a strong/wrong word. It's just that sometimes his posture irks me. He sometimes doesn't really get into his knees and seem smooth, but then again maybe the problem is the height difference between him and Tatiana. You see I'm still in love with Sergei and Anton, so I'm having a hard time warming up to Maxim. That's it, his style just irks :think:

tulosai

Record Breaker
Not necessarily in terms of raw technical abilities but in terms of things that should be important to GOE and PCS, yes. He also does have the nasty habit of falling or dropping her at times.

ghislaine

Rinkside
It's not glaring. Max has an intensity on the ice that covers a lot of his flaws. If you know what to look for, you see it, but it's not incredibly obvious.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think Maxim does have powerful presence, even though Tatiana is a better skater. Usually in pairs the point is to showcase the woman and have the man facilitate the elements. It's not like ice dance where both partners need similar skating ability (exception being Margaglio being glaringly worse than Fusar-Poli). There's more refinement in Tatiana's skating, but it's not like Maxim is "keeping up".

hanca

Record Breaker
I don't think he is worse than her. I think they are pretty equal. Each of them have different strengths, but both of them have also weaknesses. So I wouldn't claim that Tatiana is stronger.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
What has Tatiana shown that people think she's a stronger skater? She hasn't had any decent program in her entire life. She's not musical, can't interpret anything that well. She hasn't shown she's capable of doing something great. If you put her side by side with Gordeeva or Mishkutenok, she's just an average skater with no remarkable skill.

The way this thread started, you'd think she's Carolina Kostner, full of potential, but being held back by inconsistency or in her case, Trankov. Give me a break, this girl is lucky to partner up with him, and with Russia pushing relentlessly for a pair to win Gold, they suddenly become top tier. They are not top tier skaters, she's not top tier skater.

Their TES aren't as explosive and impressive as the Zhangs. Their PCS are atrocious. It's amazing they became unbeatable with the right push.

kasik8222

Rinkside
He is obviously an excellent skater and a better skater than Tatiana's husband. Just compare what he and Tatiana have achieved vs Tatiana and her husband as a team

I don't think Stanislav is still her "husband"/boyfriend (They have never been married, haven't they?);).

SaraM

Final Flight
Country
Norway
LOL no Stanislav is not her husbond, just her ex-skating partner! Theyre dating each other :)

kasik8222

Rinkside
LOL no Stanislav is not her husbond, just her ex-skating partner! Theyre dating each other :)
I thought they broke up and she is now dating Maxim? There are so many rumors about them now. They even spent vacation together:rolleye:. Back to the main topic I love Tatiana's lines and if you ask me, yes she is better skater than Max. She is very radiar performer.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Their TES aren't as explosive and impressive as the Zhangs. Their PCS are atrocious. It's amazing they became unbeatable with the right push.

I disagree. Their twists are even bigger than the Zhangs ever were, with much straighter form. Their throws are just as big with much better landings. I am not even their fan, and I dont think I have seen such an overall strong technical team in a long time. They were robbed of some titles by being undermarked on technical elements- 2012 Grand Prix final for instance where they skated clean in both programs and still lost lost to S&S who had a mistake in both. If they lost there it should have been on PCS, but they lost on TES to the Germans who have a much weaker twist and a mistake in both programs, which was crazy.

Speaking of the Zhangs if there was a team overscored for many years it is them. I liked them and had a soft spot for them, despite their rivalry with my favorite team, and the annoyance at the pushing of the federation for them over my favorite team for awhile. However people have short memories, and forget there was far more howling over their marks and results than there have ever been or ever will be over V/T's. They even got huge PCS despite having virtually no skating skills and being on of the SLOWEST teams in history between their big tricks. Despite that V/T have already surpassed their career achievements.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I don't think it's glaring. Like other posters have said, Maxim is better than Stanislav was. I'm not sure if Maxim was really THAT much better than Maria though.

BlackPack

Medalist
In purely cosmetic terms, Tatiana's posture and line is glaringly better than Trankov. Trankov may be powerful and fast but posture isn't one of his strengths. This kind of thing mattered a great deal pre-COP, especially well-exemplified by Russians, but it's merely a bonus these days.

hanca

Record Breaker
I don't think it's glaring. Like other posters have said, Maxim is better than Stanislav was. I'm not sure if Maxim was really THAT much better than Maria though.

In jumps he was. He lands them most times, whereas Maria most times did not land them. (Yes, I know, now we will get posts when people will be reminding this and that competition when actually he missed his jump whereas she did land it, but his success rate in landing them was definitely much higher than hers).

The reason why Maria placed with her new partner 7th at their nationals and lost the support from their Federation was that she did not land the jumps when it counted.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think Maxim does have powerful presence, even though Tatiana is a better skater. Usually in pairs the point is to showcase the woman and have the man facilitate the elements. It's not like ice dance where both partners need similar skating ability (exception being Margaglio being glaringly worse than Fusar-Poli). There's more refinement in Tatiana's skating, but it's not like Maxim is "keeping up".

I thought it was Babs who was glaring at Margaglio - you know one of those evil soap opera stares!!!! That is truly glaringly evil.lol

BlackPack

Medalist
I thought it was Babs who was glaring at Margaglio - you know one of those evil soap opera stares!!!! That is truly glaringly evil.lol

V&T are nowhere the case of Babs and her boy. Maxim is still a very talented skater and competitor, while Tatiana simply looks better. They wouldn't have reached that much success in such a short time if their basic skating skills were that far off from each other. Babs and Mau languished in the ranks for years before they finally rose to the top and couldn't stay there in which quite a few times their hopes were directly destroyed by Mau's subpar skating skills. It's all Babs' fault IMO; everyone with eyes can see Mau wasn't at her level. It was her job to find a better partner. I don't think Mau was ever OGM material, while Babs had a shot with the right partner. Finding a suitable partner for Babs is probably another miracle. Death glares aren't good partnership material. For purposes of striking fear, yes, but it's not going to magically make an OK skater into a brilliant one. Rodnina also did death glares, and her partner was so emasculated.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty

Maria was getting better by the last year or two of their partnership. The biggest problem they had by then was their lack of on ice chemistry (not surprising given how bad their relationship was revealed to be) and their lack of federation support. Most of their partnership he really was a ton better than her. In the early years she could barely rotate a twist, could barely land throws on a decent edge, couldnt jump, and she had no presentation or performance skills at all for years.

Even if Maxim isnt that much better than Maria, Tatiana definitely is. Just look at the difference in the size and quality of the twists, lifts, and throws, despite it being the same guy throwing and lifting her up.