Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Question to twitterers

  1. #1
    Custom Title skateluvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,584

    Question to twitterers

    What demograpghic age wise has a twitter account? How many does the avg person follow? If one just follows top skaters, how much time per week is that? How much time do you spend doing facebook and do the two dovetail? I know we have many young people and the world has become , well, to an older person, phone obsessed. Is it a good thing? What would youth be doing if they were not so obsessed with social media? Are any of them (you?) avidly following huge event called "govt shutdown?"

    I am more put off every year by how rude people are with cell phones...pcas that work for me are affronted-it makes my life more difficult, phone email, facebook updates at work, even by an older woman...how do I get the phone usage stopped-people act addicted! I am really years behind due to my stuggles. I just wonder how many hours are devoted to all this. Hashtag hater, (lol).

  2. #2
    I got your program components right here. Pepe Nero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Canton, Michigan
    Posts
    221
    Twitter is a pox on democratic society, in my opinion, but let me try to turn this is to figure skating.

    I think the main page of GS, and I know the main page of IN, has a twitter feed. I don't understand this. I get the usefulness of twitter for celebrities who are trying to promote their new movie, TV show, or record. But I don't care to know that Agnes Zawadzki's "secret" passion is Lifetime movies. I don't need to know what Tai Babilonia's poetry output for today is, what Kristi Yamaguchi is selling today, or what bourgeois activity Sasha Cohen is doing today. Glarg, figure skaters are just as narcissistic as the rest of us.

    I love that Alissa Csinzy has more class than to participate in this nonsense.

  3. #3
    Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,469
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe Nero View Post
    Twitter is a pox on democratic society, in my opinion, but let me try to turn this is to figure skating.

    I think the main page of GS, and I know the main page of IN, has a twitter feed. I don't understand this. I get the usefulness of twitter for celebrities who are trying to promote their new movie, TV show, or record. But I don't care to know that Agnes Zawadzki's "secret" passion is Lifetime movies. I don't need to know what Tai Babilonia's poetry output for today is, what Kristi Yamaguchi is selling today, or what bourgeois activity Sasha Cohen is doing today. Glarg, figure skaters are just as narcissistic as the rest of us.

    I love that Alissa Csinzy has more class than to participate in this nonsense.
    LOL, what do you think of Alissa Czisny's many Instagram photos? Are they nonsense? Do they make her any less classy? I do not think so at all -- but my point is that she is active on social media, if not Twitter specifically.

    For someone who is not interested in what skaters are tweeting, you are quite familiar with the content of their tweets.
    Do not understand why you do not simply ignore the tweets shown on GS and IN. No one is forcing you to read them.

  4. #4
    I got your program components right here. Pepe Nero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Canton, Michigan
    Posts
    221
    Harsh, Golden411!

    Okay, I did not know know that AC sends out instagrams. By default, I do indeed question the integrity of that, but my ultimate opinion would depend on the content -- as it would with twitter. Someone might jog my memory, but my recollection is that most figure skater's tweets are inane (in that respect, no different from most of them). Some are meaningful and useful. Yuna Kim's tweets are usually about social causes, not what she had for breakfast. That's great.

    Golden411, I notice these things because I love figure skating, and I scan the main page of GS and IN daily to catch the news. Sometimes there is interesting stuff, sometimes I wonder why some random US junior pairs skater has to tell the world his sexist opinion about college life. Okay? I was never suggesting that anyone's legal freedom to tweet be restricted. Gosh.

  5. #5
    Yuna's Ice Rink cooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,179
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe Nero View Post
    Harsh, Golden411!

    Okay, I did not know know that AC sends out instagrams. By default, I do indeed question the integrity of that, but my ultimate opinion would depend on the content -- as it would with twitter. Someone might jog my memory, but my recollection is that most figure skater's tweets are inane (in that respect, no different from most of them). Some are meaningful and useful. Yuna Kim's tweets are usually about social causes, not what she had for breakfast. That's great.

    Golden411, I notice these things because I love figure skating, and I scan the main page of GS and IN daily to catch the news. Sometimes there is interesting stuff, sometimes I wonder why some random US junior pairs skater has to tell the world his sexist opinion about college life. Okay? I was never suggesting that anyone's legal freedom to tweet be restricted. Gosh.
    just want to be fair.. im a yuna bot.. but yuna started tweeting about her social causes when she learned her lesson after the whole orser split.. from then on she never use her twitter to advertise her personal stuff anymore..

  6. #6
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    756
    I can't really get into the whole Twitter format. Especially when I got to someone's twitter account and I see a series of messages like this

    PhilHersh
    I don't agree with what you said @LynnRutherford #you'rejustah8er

    LynnRutherford
    you're so wrong @PhilHersh #hatethegamenottheplayer

    I don't have a lot of patience for keeping track of people's conversations via twitter, even if they are about figure skaters. I normally keep Twitter/Instagram/Facebook blocked from my computer. Sometimes there's a good image of a skater, but it's mostly rubbish.

  7. #7
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,482
    I LOVE Twitter and I'm constantly on it. I don't just follow skaters or my favourite racing drivers, but I follow a lot of Australian news services. The first thing I do when I wake up in the morning is open Twitter, to catch up on all the overnight news. Because of my work schedule or rink practices I often miss the news on TV.

    I also like the little glimpses into the skaters' lives. Some of them are pretty cool (although whoever taught Jason Brown how to do photo montages on Twitter, oh dear, look at the monster you've created hahaha!). It makes them feel, to me, more human, more relateable.

    I actually initially got on Twitter because I was required to by one of my classes at university.

  8. #8
    Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,469
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe Nero View Post
    Twitter is a pox on democratic society, in my opinion, but let me try to turn this is to figure skating. ...
    Pepe, I noticed your post on the Czisny thread:

    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe Nero View Post
    There's got to be someone with news on this event. Decent but disappointing scores from AC. What did she attempt?

    Too bad that no one who attended Czisny's small competition tweeted photos or video or play-by-play.
    And that Czisny herself did not tweet any comments of her own after her skating.

    Pepe, I'm partly just teasing you in a friendly way.

    But to also be serious for a moment:
    This situation is the perfect example of the up-side of Twitter, Facebook, and other social media as they pertain directly to skating.
    When no official information -- for example, from a more obscure event, or from a practice session of a bigger one -- is available, unofficial "reports" and images that spectators share on Twitter and the like can be precious bits of data.

    ETA:

    When Czisny injured herself badly at a small competition last season, spectators immediately shared pertinent details on social media (long before any official information was available). And when an official announcement regarding her injury was made days later, it did not include some of the details that were known only from social media.
    Examples of the immediate social media content: Some spectators identified the exact jump that Czisny was attempting when she fell; some noted that she was taken away on a stretcher (as opposed to leaving the ice under her own power, indicating the severity of her injury); and others observed that even though she obviously was in pain, she managed to smile and wave as she was carried away.
    Also ... many, many messages of support for Czisny were posted on social media immediately after her bad fall and injury. Even if she did not see them herself, I bet that some in her inner circle did and were able to give her a sense of how much the public was concerned for her and wishing her the best.

    For the purpose of this discussion, I wish that GS had a magic button that would hide all posts that were passing along information that came from social media -- including posts that don't explicitly mention Twitter or FB, but that originate from them. (What I mean, for instance: if Skate Canada tweets a link to an official announcement, I often do not bother to mention the tweet and simply post the direct link to the full announcement on Skate Canada's website. The magic button would hide such posts as well.)
    I think that those who dislike social media and would choose to use such a hypothetical button would find that the speed at which news of interest eventually filters through to them would be hampered -- and that the total quantity of news that reaches them also would be diminished.

  9. #9
    skating philosopher
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    8,109
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    What demograpghic age wise has a twitter account? How many does the avg person follow? If one just follows top skaters, how much time per week is that? How much time do you spend doing facebook and do the two dovetail? I know we have many young people and the world has become , well, to an older person, phone obsessed. Is it a good thing? What would youth be doing if they were not so obsessed with social media? Are any of them (you?) avidly following huge event called "govt shutdown?"

    I am more put off every year by how rude people are with cell phones...pcas that work for me are affronted-it makes my life more difficult, phone email, facebook updates at work, even by an older woman...how do I get the phone usage stopped-people act addicted! I am really years behind due to my stuggles. I just wonder how many hours are devoted to all this. Hashtag hater, (lol).
    The simplest way to follow skaters is to use a Twitter list. And there isn't even a need to make one as many others (including GS) has done so for your!

    Ice Network skaters list
    Golden Skate skaters list

    I check these lists about once or twice a day. I enjoy hearing about the skaters lives and laugh at all the photos.



    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe Nero View Post
    Twitter is a pox on democratic society, in my opinion, but let me try to turn this is to figure skating.

    I think the main page of GS, and I know the main page of IN, has a twitter feed. I don't understand this. I get the usefulness of twitter for celebrities who are trying to promote their new movie, TV show, or record. But I don't care to know that Agnes Zawadzki's "secret" passion is Lifetime movies. I don't need to know what Tai Babilonia's poetry output for today is, what Kristi Yamaguchi is selling today, or what bourgeois activity Sasha Cohen is doing today. Glarg, figure skaters are just as narcissistic as the rest of us.

    I love that Alissa Csinzy has more class than to participate in this nonsense.
    I actually I use Twitter professionally also, and I'm not a celebrity. I use it to network with other professionals in my field and to keep up to date on trends and happenings in my industry. It's also quite useful in keeping up with news events as well, as karne pointed out.

    There are some awesome folks who are great at curating news/data.

    Since I use the Twitter lists to follow skaters, I don't follow any skaters personally (though I follow a few skating sources just to keep up to date when I'm not checking the Twitter lists).

    My husband actually ended up getting interviewed in a Wall Street Journal story because of Twitter. The reporter was doing a story on Hointer, a new retail concept where you could buy jeans in a store by using an iPhone app to scan the tags. The retailer than has a robotic arm that grabs the jeans (and the size you request) and puts it in the fitting room for you.

    Anyway, my husband and I went to the retailer's store in Seattle and I had tweeted a photo of myself trying out the concept. The reporter saw my photo and reached out to me. I though my husband would be a better fit for the story, so I referred the reporter to him.

    So Twitter has some great uses for it. Yeah there are perils of social media, but if you are aware of them, the uses can be quite great.

  10. #10
    Custard Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    989
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper View Post
    just want to be fair.. im a yuna bot.. but yuna started tweeting about her social causes when she learned her lesson after the whole orser split.. from then on she never use her twitter to advertise her personal stuff anymore..
    What was it, "stop to tell a lie, B?" I've always been curious since then, do you as a self-styled "yuna bot" think that it was actually Yuna who wrote that tweet? I remember reading comments that Yuna's English was too good for that tweet.

  11. #11
    Gotta Have Music iluvtodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    10,656
    Mrs. P., thanks for the Twitter list links. I joined Twitter @ least a year ago, & I enjoy communicating with the skaters who are on it. viewing the pics, and sending them messages wishing them good luck for upcoming comps., etc.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •