Can Kovtun close the gap on Plushenko? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Can Kovtun close the gap on Plushenko?

seniorita

Record Breaker
He goes to Riga to get his minimum TES for the Lp, which he could probably get by jumping doubles there. After that he wont have to go anywhere internationally until Sochi.
Mathman is right, Kovtun wil go if Plush wont, but i wish Menshov had a chance too, he must have worked really hard to keep his level at this age. And we dont know what Voronov and Arthur will do at nationals, but all indications are Kovtun is the Heir.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I will also be interested to see how Kovtun vs Farris goes at CoR. Yes, Kovtun is landing his quads at the moment and Farris hasn't landed his yet this year, but Farris' programs are absolutely gorgeous. His tango SP is so subtle and complex, and that Schindler's List will move audiences to tears when done clean. His jumps are gorgeous and big when he does them clean, his spins are superior to Kovtun's, and he actually feels the music, so his PCS could well be higher. Of course, he will be in Russia, which will work against him.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Well Kovtun also missed a lot of jumps in the lp so I wouldn't write home yet. Plushy might not need everything to get to Sochi but he will need everything to beat Fernandez, Dai, hnyu and all. Remember Plushy was fighting Evan in 2010 and Evan does not have nearly the artistry or skating skills of Fernandez, Ten, the Japanese men and Chan.

I believe plushenko is smarter than he was in 2010. Cop smarter. He talks a lot about knowing more. But can he execute smart now. or is that prevented by body issues?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I believe plushenko is smarter than he was in 2010. Cop smarter. He talks a lot about knowing more. But can he execute smart now. or is that prevented by body issues?

After it cost him a few victories (particularly the Olympics), I would imagine he is much smarter with things like program layout and levels and attempting all jumping passes/combos. A big question mark though is if he can execute a 2-quad 2-axel program for the first time in a long time. I think 1 quad + 1 axel will be enough for him to hold off Kovtun and the other Russian men, but certainly not enough for the podium in Sochi.

ciocio

On the Ice
He goes to Riga to get his minimum TES for the Lp, which he could probably get by jumping doubles there. After that he wont have to go anywhere internationally until Sochi.

That's what I'm fearing because like Janna said too Volvo Cup is not enough to get feedback from judges.

yaya124

On the Ice
What the hell, he chooses Volvo cup as his first competition does not mean he will not attend COR. He just want to warm up a bit for the bigger competition. In his recent interview he said in order to be selected into the Olympic team, he will attend COR, winning National. In that interview the competition he did not really mention is EC which he probably cannot skip anyway.

ciocio

On the Ice
I doubt he will go to COR and skate with 2 quads or something. As I've said he does not need two quads, he only needs to present very well his programs and get feedback from judges. But I'm afraid he will skip it, since he won't not able to win the event .

yaya124

On the Ice
I doubt he will go to COR and skate with 2 quads or something. As I've said he does not need two quads, he only needs to present very well his programs and get feedback from judges. But I'm afraid he will skip it, since he won't not able to win the event .

In you logic then he only needs to attend Volvo cup and Russian Nationals. That would not be enough for him to be selected in Olympic team, isn't it. His goal now is to get ready for Olympics, so the competition results are relatively irrelevant (what I meant is that if he can get good levels of his programs but can lose the competition because of lacking more quads).

ciocio

On the Ice
In you logic then he only needs to attend Volvo cup and Russian Nationals. That would not be enough for him to be selected in Olympic team, isn't it. His goal now is to get ready for Olympics, so the competition results are relatively irrelevant (what I meant is that if he can get good levels of his programs but can lose the competition because of lacking more quads).

No, I think he should participate in all international competitions, Volvo Cup, COR, Euros, even if he's not going to be fully prepared for all of them.

seniorita

Record Breaker

Technically it would have been enough to go to Volvo Cup and RN, in order to qualify for Olympics, he could skip Cup of Russia and Euros. We dont know his condition, maybe he would want to minimize his competitions anyway.
Besides Trankov has also expressed no interest for Euros, their schedule is harsh and less than a month before Olympic Games.

Last edited:

ciocio

On the Ice
Technically it would have been enough to go to Volvo Cup and RN, in order to qualify for Olympics, he could skip Cup of Russia and Euros. We dont know his condition, maybe he would want to minimize his competitions anyway.
Besides Trankov has also expressed no interest for Euros, their schedule is harsh and less than a month before Olympic Games.

Plushenko is not Trankov. V/T are clear leaders right now, they have already scored astronomic scores, they are favorites for the OGM. If Plushenko goes to a B event and then to Sochi he may have an unpleasant surprise when he faces Chan, Fernandez, Hanyu, etc. In 2010 he participated to COR and Euros and we all saw what happened a month latter.
Actually if I were him I would start by writing a letter to Inman and inform him that there are plenty of transitions and choreography in the programs. :laugh:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
http://www.team-russia2014.ru/article/figur/12412.html

Translation...

Alexei Mishin : Plushenko goes to the main starts quietly, feeling his responsibility and maintaining a fighting spirit

7-10 November in Riga (Latvia) will be held an international figure skating competition Volvo Cup. On it will appear, by the first time in the Olympic season, the Olympic champion in 2006, a silver medalist in 2002 and 2010, Evgeni Plushenko. About the readiness of Evgeni Plushenko for the start, told us his personal coach Alexei Mishin.

- Alexei Nikolaevich, Evgeni Plushenko will perform in Riga, as you planned?
- Yes. But we are not going to Riga to compete in the usual sense of the word - his sports strength, Evgeni showed more than once. But since last year, he was unable to participate in international tournaments by the full program, now he need to gain the necessary level of first score for technique, to comply with the rules of the International Skating Union, and win the right to speak at the European and World championships.

- How much are prepared the programs?
- The settings of programs are, of course, finished. We still have two versions of a Short program, which we still checking (cekoni: in a previous interview, Mishin mentioned Flamenco, as a "reserve" SP). A Free program - a medley of the best programs of the past. About skating practice of programs, too early to say.

- How you evaluate the readiness of Plushenko at this stage?
- Evgeni is now ready for a good sports result. But given that he missed the big competition period - not actually performed 10 months! - my task was to conduct him through some preliminary starts, in which occasionally unexpected things can be happen. If I summarize our goals on the Volvo Cup - it's, first, to fulfill the qualification standard for the first score, and second, pass two programs without injury and losses. In principle, Evgeni currently performs in training quads and triple Axels, and the quality of these jumps is for "five". Expect, that such a results he will show on the first start, it would be naive - such tasks, we ahead us, simply not put. Also, now is just the beginning of November, while the apotheosis of the season awaits us in February. Evgeni goes to the main starts quietly, feeling his responsibility and maintaining a fighting spirit.

seniorita

Record Breaker
What is it with the flamenco this season, during the first 3 GPs I ve seen a tone of flamencos, I would think Olympics are in Spain or sth!

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
http://www.sovsport.md/news/text-item/657359
Alexei Krasnozhon:
Aleksei Krasnozhon is a skater of Mishin's group, trains together with Plushenko. He said Plu does well in practices, sometimes he feels pain in back though. His jumps are confident, he just does them more careful then before. He doesn't fall. His 4T and 4S are solid, as well as all triples including 3A. Aleksei also said that both 4T and 4S plus combo 4-3 are on the list of Zhenya's Olympic progs, but by Sochi 4Loop might be added too. Regarding 4lutz that Zhenya presumably trains according to rumours in media, Aleksei said that it's nonsense. He said he has never seen Plu training 4Lutz.

Everybody is excited. An article yesterday: http://www.sovsport.ru/gazeta/article-item/656945
google translation..

Olga Kovalkova conducting in the Latvian capital on their own means of an annual tournament «Volvo Open Cup», could not imagine what the consequences will turn its participation in the Olympic tournament champion in Turin.

Kovalkova pestering calls from a variety of , sometimes quite exotic locations across the globe . And Olga herself so insistently calls ... in ISU (International Skating Union . . - Ed . ) , It is elementary to advise that she do now .
In the ISU Council with a loss . Such a number of journalists (and not only , but more on that below) does not storm , perhaps, and the world championships.

The modest palace in Riga unable to accommodate all who want to see and describe the first official show program of Olympic medalist of the last three Olympics.

- What is accreditation? You would not happen to be kidding me? - With apparent calm that probably cost her dearly , answers the telephone Olga . - On Plushenko torn hundreds of media representatives.

Photographers, reporters , TV crews . From the U.S., Germany, Switzerland and Japan. Well, of Russia , of course. And I have only 20 seats behind the glass , no mixed - zone , the rink is narrow corridor to the locker room .

I can not imagine how you are going to communicate with him. And imagine with horror how the several hundred journalists pounce on the poor Plushenko in our narrow hallway , where two or disperse it hard !

And all these people who call me in the morning until the evening , go to Riga for one purpose only : to pounce on Evgeni Plushenko

... And believe it is something that I have to. One woman is calling from Switzerland: I'm going to sell you souvenirs. Thank you very much ! I asked: "Why is it so categorically ? I am doing this tournament for my money , I'm on it no one gave a penny ... Maybe you first need to ask my permission? " It is, in my opinion, and did not understand what I mean. I said , already took the ticket and hotel booked ...
- Olga, and you do not get lost . Advertisers , given all this boom ...
- What are the advertisers ? We are not Russia . We sponsor can be found except for a bottle of water!
- So what do you do?
- I do not know . While I was just in a quiet panic. But to Eugene I did not podpuschu . Otherwise crush will start , as once you have in Moscow, "Luzhniki" . I do not need such nightmares .

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
What is it with the flamenco this season, during the first 3 GPs I ve seen a tone of flamencos, I would think Olympics are in Spain or sth!

I know! I think it's because it's pretty easy to interpret flamenco and tango music. It energizes a skater and gets them moving, and lets you attack your program without seeming out of character. It's really hard to make a flamenco look laboured and slow but a lyrical, soft piece runs the danger of that.

Icey

Record Breaker

Cause it gives you lots of time for posing and stamping your feet rather than skating Ole!!!! lmao

ciocio

On the Ice
Cause it gives you lots of time for posing and stamping your feet rather than skating Ole!!!! lmao

I hope Evgeni won't change his SP, the music is nice and original. Everybody is sick and tired of flamenco. I would add a special deduction for tango and flamenco in the Olympic season. :disagree: