Can Kovtun close the gap on Plushenko? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Can Kovtun close the gap on Plushenko?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
:agree: Makes a lot of sense to me! :)

His skating isn't that bad as some indicated on this thread. He just happened to crack at the last Worlds and his first World outing. He's only 17 then. I think if he continues to grow, he will be up there some day. Fairer to compare him to those who are in his age group.

He wouldn't have been at Worlds if he was part of a different federation -- he was 5th at Nationals.

Even with Plushy out of the picture there were three other guys they could have sent instead. Not saying they would have fared better or worse, but I can see why people don't take too much pity on him when basically he was was clearly favored over several guys for the spot. Actually that favoritism started when he was sent to Euros over Menshov, who finished two spots above him. Kovtum's better Euros placement gave him the spot at Worlds.

Really if the federation wants to do him a favor, they should lay off and not push him so much so he can grow at his own pace!

Among people his age/level (Yan Han, Joshua Farris, Jason Brown, et. al) he definitely has the jumps, but not much else, in my opinion. I think his JGPF win was deserved on the TES marks, but he has a lot to do to become a more complete skater. That's not to say Yan, Josh and Jason aren't without their own weaknesses, but I don't think Maxim is that much superior to them and no where near the wunderkid of that age group, Yuzuru Hanyu.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I wouldn't even say kovtun has very good jumps now that he's in senior. As a jr doing jr length skates he was fine but add 30 seconds he is a mess. And his technique on quad toes is awful.

LRK

Record Breaker
To the thread title question.

Kovtun would actually have to land the jumps he planned. And to do so under pressure.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Kovtun at Euros last year was indifferent to me, if I didnt know the whole drama which took place before he went there, I might had not noticed him, I dont remember anything of his programs other than he was skating to a soundtrack? I dont see him as the heir of Plush of Yag. And I was a big fan of Menshov's programs last year, I admit.

I ve heard Arthur has a great Lp this season to Anna Karenina.This is a vid from his training at FT.

I haven't seen any of bionic Plushy 's programs, has he skated them yet in public?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Kovtun at Euros last year was indifferent to me, if I didnt know the whole drama which took place before he went there, I might had not noticed him, I dont remember anything of his programs other than he was skating to a soundtrack? I dont see him as the heir of Plush of Yag. And I was a big fan of Menshov's programs last year, I admit.

I ve heard Arthur has a great Lp this season to Anna Karenina.This is a vid from his training at FT.

I haven't seen any of bionic Plushy 's programs, has he skated them yet in public?

Hi seniorita!

Menshov actually caught my attention at Skate America. He did quite well finishing 4th behind the Japanese sweep. I get that he's "old" but I feel he should have had a shot to compete at Euros.

Mao88

Record Breaker
Kovtun's free skate from the Russia Cup. He won the competition with a score of 150.37 for the long program and 228.37 overall. Dmitriev was 2nd with 211.33, and Pitkeev 3rd with 210.77

gmyers

Record Breaker
How does One learn to do a quad like that? that is like leg wrap times a million! But he did do a quad toe and salchow. Pop lutz, doubled quad ,no 3 jump combo, ur triple axel. Needs a lot of technical improvement - music is ok. Kovtun is Not really interesting.

plushyta

On the Ice

Great to see you, Seniorita! I'm glad to see that Plushy has been able to skate in public and seems to be making progress. Wouldn't it be funny if the top contenders for OGMs turn out to be the two old-timers, Plushy and YuNa Kim. It just goes to show that a strong will can work wonders.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think the big issue is just how healthy is Plushy and can his back and knees hold up? He will make mistakes if he is not healthy - makes sense if you are worried about a wonky nknee or in pain. You can't execute everything as well. Good bye bielleman - though that has been gone as he got older it seems.

Binthere

On the Ice
I think the big issue is just how healthy is Plushy and can his back and knees hold up? He will make mistakes if he is not healthy - makes sense if you are worried about a wonky nknee or in pain. You can't execute everything as well. Good bye bielleman - though that has been gone as he got older it seems.

Right, especially with the surgical repairs he has had on his vertebra/discs. Bielleman would be a huge challenge, not to mention a mistake from a stability and pain standpoint.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Plushy hasn't done/been able to do the Beilmann since 2004.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh give it up skyfly. He's not retiring, not going away and he's getting better this year. Deal with it!