Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Can Kovtun close the gap on Plushenko?

Custom Title
    Evgeni Plushenko Volvo Cup 2013 videos: Short Program, Free Skate

Custom Title
    Kovtun still has to skate the FS, but with an incredible SP and being poised to win at CoR and make the GPF, surely Plushenko will have his work cut out for him if Kovtun replicates this SP.

Definitely. Also, if he does the same at Russian Nationals and Euros.

Still, as a Plushy uber, of course, I have faith.

Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    Definitely. Also, if he does the same at Russian Nationals and Euros.

Still, as a Plushy uber, of course, I have faith.

Banned
    If Kovtun continues to skate at his current level sending Oldshenko to the Olympics would be a waste. He is not currently capable of skating at the level Kovtun did in the short program here.

Custom Title
    Or is Kovtun another Yan? We shall wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    What do you mean by that?

Custom Title
    Yan bombed his fs or well finished behind kovtun. Kovtun fs as leader is untested!

True- soon it will be "can plushenko close the gap on kovtun?!"

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    If Kovtun continues to skate at his current level sending Oldshenko to the Olympics would be a waste. He is not currently capable of skating at the level Kovtun did in the short program here.
    This could be true but when it's plushenko vs kovtun it's all new!

Custom Title
    I expect Kovtun to make mistakes in the FS, but not enough to blow his spot in the GPF. And based on today's PCS, I wouldn't be surprised if he clung to gold or silver ahead of Machida/Fernandez with home ice inflation. I would hope that he earns his victory, and that being said, this certainly throws his name into the hat over Plushenko. IMO, the other Russian guys - Menshov/Gachinski/etc. have no chance, having lost the SP by a whopping 20 points.

Banned
    Voronov, Menshov, Gaschinski are pretty much out of it. It will be a chose between Kovtun and Plushenko in the coming month or two.

Custom Title
    He's not capable of skating to the technical ability, and his SP isn't as intricate as Kovtun's, but the judges would probably give him higher PCS than Kovtun for a clean skate with 4T-3T/3A/3Z. Bear in mind his PB is 91.30 points which is not too far off Kovtun's PCS-inflated personal best here.

Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    If you are referring to TEB, Yan was down with fever. Personally, I didn't expect him to skate well but am happy he did enough to get into GPF.

Will be interesting to see the 'showdown' between Kovtun and Plushenko. Plushenko has experience and other factors to his advantage.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    He's not capable of skating to the technical ability, and his SP isn't as intricate as Kovtun's, but the judges would probably give him higher PCS than Kovtun for a clean skate with 4T-3T/3A/3Z. Bear in mind his PB is 91.30 points which is not too far off Kovtun's PCS-inflated personal best here.
    When was that PB set though. Not anytime recently, unless it was in a Russian based B event with inflated scores I don't know of taking place (granted the scores here were inflated but Kovtun was the most sane and accurate score of all the Russian skaters here by far). I doubt Plushenko is even capable of skating at his Vancouver level (and even in Vancouver he was way past his prime) at this point.

I agree if he did a clean SP with all those jumps it would be close between them but I am hard pressed seeing him do that based on any of the sightings of him since the 2012 Europeans. Then the LP would be even harder for him to get through anything like that at this juncture, although we have to see how Kovtun skates in the LP here.

I am also not sure Plushenko would get super high PCS from international judges at this point. His programs are empty compared to what a lot of others are putting out these days, and he is much slower and skates with nowhere near the command and sharpness he did in his prime.

Custom Title
    When was that PB set though. Not anytime recently, unless it was in a Russian based B event with inflated scores I don't know of taking place (granted the scores here were inflated but Kovtun was the most sane and accurate score of all the Russian skaters here by far). I doubt Plushenko is even capable of skating at his Vancouver level (and even in Vancouver he was way past his prime) at this point.

I agree if he did a clean SP with all those jumps it would be close between them but I am hard pressed seeing him do that based on any of the sightings of him since the 2012 Europeans. Then the LP would be even harder for him to get through anything like that at this juncture, although we have to see how Kovtun skates in the LP here.

I am also not sure Plushenko would get super high PCS from international judges at this point. His programs are empty compared to what a lot of others are putting out these days, and he is much slower and skates with nowhere near the command and sharpness he did in his prime.
    Others or non Russians are irrelevant. Kovtun programs are full? It's now kovtun vs plushenko. Unless you think kovtun would get superior pcs to plushenko.

I believe plushenko can absolutely not do the team and individual so it might be both anyway.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast