Can Kovtun close the gap on Plushenko? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Can Kovtun close the gap on Plushenko?

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I think that Gachinski is as likely or unlikely as Kovtun to close the gap on Plushenko...

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Plushy skated his old SP "Tosca" with elements from his new SP on 5 shows in St.Petersburg 01-04.10.2013 ;)
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVze-YWYNijP12CJceiKWyH_TMY37jsiu

--------------------

Tarasova: Russia's Plushenko Guaranteed Olympic Place if Fit
:
http://en.ria.ru/sochi2014/20131005...nteed-Olympic-Place-if-Fit---Rival-Coach.html

This is better version on second show. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BnBVKr5N18 two perfect 3A on that little ice...:bow:

mielikki

Rinkside
He's improving. ;) By Skate America he should be ready :)
He won't win anything there anyway. He won't even place in top five. The competition is too tough for any of Russian men, ru fed had probably just sent there the one they had less pity for.

mielikki

Rinkside
They say yesterday morning Zhenya was training at AFK, there Panin Memorial is held, and he planned to compete, but then desided against it.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
They say yesterday morning Zhenya was training at AFK, there Panin Memorial is held, and he planned to compete, but then desided against it.

Wow! Interesting, but this competition wasn't planned. But who are "they" ? What did they think about the training?

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
several people on Russian boards reported so. They didn't go into details.

One poster wrote that he will compete. And as one of my friends says he has to go everywhere with the personal cameraman. Otherwise- rumours showed up. He is too famous.

mielikki

Rinkside
One poster wrote that he will compete.
Several, but that's not what matters. It can be seen in the videos from Panin, that there weren't many people watching. But many were ready to come (it's St. Petersburg after all) if Plushenko skates there.
Now, imagine there would have been Kovtun training. Would there be rumors? Would people start calling their friends, telling them to come watch his two quads? That sounds doubtful.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Several, but that's not what matters. It can be seen in the videos from Panin, that there weren't many people watching. But many were ready to come (it's St. Petersburg after all) if Plushenko skates there.
Now, imagine there would have been Kovtun training. Would there be rumors? Would people start calling their friends, telling them to come watch his two quads? That sounds doubtful.

Mishin and Plush never mentioned this race. This is the reason why I was surprised, when I read your post. Why did some poster think that he competes there, if they never said? They talked about Volvo Cup in Riga as Plushy's first competiton.

today's article : http://www.team-russia2014.ru/article/11963.html

Mishin:
" If we talk about Zhenya Plushenko, he is now very much built form - in both plans, physically and technically. He has already perform a quadruple jump, approximately like he did it in the best of times - not worse than before Vancouver 2010, and better than before last season. His preparation makes me happy! But we will wait for the official start, to look at Evgeni in competitive conditions. For now, judging by the training process, all goes well. But for all, it is clear that the official start - is quite different feeling, so we are waiting "Volvo Cup" tournament, which will be held in early November in Riga (Latvia )."

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
This is great if it is true but something tells me this is a bit of showmanship or gamesmanship. Plushy had major surgery and a history of health problems If he was so healthy he would work on that 4salchow. If he is healthy he still could win a medal imho.

mielikki

Rinkside
Mishin and Plush never mentioned this race. This is the reason why I was surprised, when I read your post. Why did some poster think that he competes there, if they never said? They talked about Volvo Cup in Riga as Plushy's first competiton.

To understand why the rumours started, one has to know what kind of competition Panin Memorial is. It's like St. Peterburg's federation's home party. Local sportsmen compete, some guests may come (Mitina-Shevchuk from Moscow, Bariev who is Italian now) and some local "celebs", members of the national team, may show up and check their programmes. If they want, they may inform about their participation in the morning, and no one will deny them. And they need no special reason to abort FS, may just say "We didn't plan so". People are glad to see them anyway.
If you read the full interview you linked, Mishin says that's exactly what Liza and Artur did. And so did Kostya Menshov. Test skating, that's it.
Also, AFK (Academy of Figure Skating) is not in Yubileyni Ice Palace, where Zhenya usually trains.
So we can reconstruct the situation: Mishin comes to AFK with his students and they train. People see Plush and start to think oh wow seems we are lucky, everybody come here. And then Artur (who also was not in the entries) shows up in skates and dressed for the SP. Well, no Plushies today, everybody go home.
Probably Professor didn't want Zhenya to miss the morning thraining and took him to AFK, since it is not in the other city. Also AFK has several rinks. People might know he's where but not see his training itself if they were watching juniors on the main arena.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
To understand why the rumours started, one has to know what kind of competition Panin Memorial is. It's like St. Peterburg's federation's home party. Local sportsmen compete, some guests may come (Mitina-Shevchuk from Moscow, Bariev who is Italian now) and some local "celebs", members of the national team, may show up and check their programmes. If they want, they may inform about their participation in the morning, and no one will deny them. And they need no special reason to abort FS, may just say "We didn't plan so". People are glad to see them anyway.
If you read the full interview you linked, Mishin says that's exactly what Liza and Artur did. And so did Kostya Menshov. Test skating, that's it.
Also, AFK (Academy of Figure Skating) is not in Yubileyni Ice Palace, where Zhenya usually trains.
So we can reconstruct the situation: Mishin comes to AFK with his students and they train. People see Plush and start to think oh wow seems we are lucky, everybody come here. And then Artur (who also was not in the entries) shows up in skates and dressed for the SP. Well, no Plushies today, everybody go home.
Probably Professor didn't want Zhenya to miss the morning thraining and took him to AFK, since it is not in the other city. Also AFK has several rinks. People might know he's where but not see his training itself if they were watching juniors on the main arena.

Yes, understandable.

This is great if it is true but something tells me this is a bit of showmanship or gamesmanship. Plushy had major surgery and a history of health problems If he was so healthy he would work on that 4salchow. If he is healthy he still could win a medal imho.

No need to wait for one month, we will see. :yes: Honestly, I can't wait. I followed every steps of his preparation since the surgery...you believe me, if he will compete if he can compete and he will show good skating that will be exalted feeling for me.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Gachinski's akte today at Panin Memorial - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc6QZzIhKCU

jumps are tilted and unstable - I think Gachinski is done, retirement in mind perhaps after Sochi ?,
even Voronov got a higher PCS than him considering what Voronov is like 29 or 30 years old.

Why would anyone beside plushenko retire after Sochi? Literally any man can be Russian champion in 2015 and or least get to euros and possibly worlds!! Gachinski kovtun voronov menshov dmitriev bush etc etc. Barring injury the huge gigantic chasm will be exactly like 2007. Lutai vs Griazev all over!

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Maybe the kid is hyped but really after Plushenko who else is there? Gachinsk seems to be a one hit wonder and Menshov and Voronov haven't exactly ever set the world on fire and they are past their prime.

Country
Russia
Kovtun's advantage against Gachinski is he can jump both 4S and 4T
something Gachinski can never do
Gachinski unfortunately is third season in not so good state.

I wait results this season only from Voronov and Kovtun. And Voronov may be better than Kovtin - he has good progress with his new coach Eteri Tutberidze (coach of Lipnitskaia, Medvedeva, Pitkeev). At Ice Star (Senior B at Minsk) few minutes ago he earned 82.70 for SP, TES 46.44
Menshov is in bad state after injury.
Plushenko is in unknown state (may be good, but may never compete in future).