Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Can Kovtun close the gap on Plushenko?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    Why would anyone beside plushenko retire after Sochi? Literally any man can be Russian champion in 2015 and or least get to euros and possibly worlds!! Gachinski kovtun voronov menshov dmitriev bush etc etc. Barring injury the huge gigantic chasm will be exactly like 2007. Lutai vs Griazev all over!
    This makes complete sense to me. I'd think that everyone would hang on for the post-Plushenko era.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    Kovtun's advantage against Gachinski is he can jump both 4S and 4T
    something Gachinski can never do
    Gachinski has 4S. He was landing them in CoR practice last year. He's just never done them in competition because, you know, more important things to worry about right now.

Custom Title
    Good performance by Kovtun at CoC. However, Plushy is still in pole position if he is fit enough to compete.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mao88 View Post
    Good performance by Kovtun at CoC. However, Plushy is still in pole position if he is fit enough to compete.
    you'll get a better picture at CoR if Plushy shows up
    he will go head to head with Kovtun in this GP

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    you'll get a better picture at CoR if Plushy shows up
    he will go head to head with Kovtun in this GP
    CoR will be Kovtun vs Plushenko vs Gachinski. The result could be interesting.

Please note: Kovtun's two-quad short can't even outscore Brown's no-quad short. So Kovtun ain't all that either.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    CoR will be Kovtun vs Plushenko vs Gachinski. The result could be interesting.

Please note: Kovtun's two-quad short can't even outscore Brown's no-quad short. So Kovtun ain't all that either.
    Gachinski is a non factor, he hasn't even won a GP medal besides a fluke Worlds medal, Im surprised he isn't considering retirement yet ?
    it will be a 2 man show, itt is clear what the Rus Fed wants, Plushenko if he is fit or the back up Kovtun

Custom Title
    He won silver at Euros just 2 years ago. Stop being nasty.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    He won silver at Euros just 2 years ago. Stop being nasty.
    Gachinski is scoring a 197+ in internationals
    I don't see how that is a factor

Custom Title
    I'm not saying he's a significant factor, but so far he has more accolades than Kovtun and is still the only Russian man to medal at Worlds in the last 9 years. He might be past his prime but he has had some successes and deserves more respect (even from you).

While Kovtun stands a better chance, clearly he is still a favourite to hit the podium and can still execute quads and triple axels. He also hasn't been to the Olympics, so why be rude about him not retiring and pursuing a goal?

Banned
    that peak was short lived then peaking before 20 years old and only for one season ?
    Gachinski's problem was not only was his PCS low but he had to rely only on his jumps ( and only a 4T quad jump)
    as soon as he lost that, he basically had nothing left.

Custom Title
    CanadianSkateGuy, don't bother arguing. sky_fly20 has made it very clear she hates Gachinski's guts (much like her constant rabbiting that Liza is fat). I reckon she asked him out on a date once and he turned her down or something.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Gachinski is a good skater and pays more attention to the details than a lot of the other guys.

Custom Title
    Lol, karne.... Clearly, Gachinski's loss...

Custom Title
    Kovtun can land quads. But he is far from a complete skater. He is totally devoid of musical sense. Rather than skating in 'phrases', where one jump moves smoothly into the next, and that into the next spin, etc., he hunches his shoulders and jumps, then turns around and hunches his shoulders and jumps again.

I hate watching him skate because it's like watching a beginning skater on pro ice.

Compared to him, Gachinsky is an artist. And believe me, I'm no Gachinsky fan!!

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Kovtun can land quads. But he is far from a complete skater. He is totally devoid of musical sense. Rather than skating in 'phrases', where one jump moves smoothly into the next, and that into the next spin, etc., he hunches his shoulders and jumps, then turns around and hunches his shoulders and jumps again.

I hate watching him skate because it's like watching a beginning skater on pro ice.

Compared to him, Gachinsky is an artist. And believe me, I'm no Gachinsky fan!!
    Yes, I agree. I don't know what happened with Gachinsky. And that's true Gachi has 4T+ 3T combo and 4S too. But he can't do it on the competitions...

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast