Can Kovtun close the gap on Plushenko? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Can Kovtun close the gap on Plushenko?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well Kovtun also missed a lot of jumps in the lp so I wouldn't write home yet. Plushy might not need everything to get to Sochi but he will need everything to beat Fernandez, Dai, hnyu and all. Remember Plushy was fighting Evan in 2010 and Evan does not have nearly the artistry or skating skills of Fernandez, Ten, the Japanese men and Chan.

ciocio

On the Ice
If Plushenko can't recover, I believe he won't participate. It would be a wise decision because he can risk other nasty injuries just at the end of his career. He has to take care of his family, skate in shows, etc, he'd better think about the future. :yes:

yaya124

On the Ice
Guess you will know soon enough since Plushenko will skate in Riga and plan to attend COR.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Well Kovtun also missed a lot of jumps in the lp so I wouldn't write home yet. Plushy might not need everything to get to Sochi but he will need everything to beat Fernandez, Dai, hnyu and all. Remember Plushy was fighting Evan in 2010 and Evan does not have nearly the artistry or skating skills of Fernandez, Ten, the Japanese men and Chan.

missed a lot in the LP, he doubled a 4T that was it, but his PCS is low, needs work in speed and posture too
you keep bringing up Evan who has a 0% chance compared to Zhenya :rolleye:

ciocio

On the Ice
Guess you will know soon enough since Plushenko will skate in Riga and plan to attend COR.

It seems that Evgeni won't attends COR, only Volvo Cup, in order to get the minimum TES. Probably he does not want to incorporate quads in his programs yet, because Mishin said that he will skate an "economy class program" in his first competition.
In 2010 he improved considerably his skating before Euros so I don't think we'll know so early in the season if he is able to participate at the Olys or not.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary

As he said, he would be glad if he can win a bronze medal. And look at Kovtun's scores, weren't too high despite the quads.

If Plushenko can't recover, I believe he won't participate. It would be a wise decision because he can risk other nasty injuries just at the end of his career. He has to take care of his family, skate in shows, etc, he'd better think about the future. :yes:

Yes, I agree.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Ciocio is it sure Plush wont go to Cor?
And is he really going to RIga?

Re Kovtun, I liked his short program much more, and two quads were cool! His long program is too looong, empasizes the shortcomings I saw last year at Euros, aka no actual presentation and on ice personality. He needs to find his style, Tarasova also packages him as a 90s skater I think. On the other hand Euro guys mentioned his costume is very John Curry -ish, so to each their own I guess.

lcd

Match Penalty
Tarasova is packaging a lot of skaters in the 90s glory days style it seems.
I hope Plushy is strong at Riga

ciocio

On the Ice
Ciocio is it sure Plush wont go to Cor?
And is he really going to RIga?

As far as I understood Kovtun said it in the CoC press conference, probably he knows it from Tarasova. I was also convinced since Plushy was announced for COR that he won't participate. At this point I don't think he is able to face a skater like Fernandez. In my opinion the strategy is not very good, he should go even if he skates only with doubles, he has to get feedback from judges as many times as possible before Sochi.
He'll clearly go to Riga because he needs minimum TES for future competitions.

Regarding Kovtun you forgot the poor posture.

ciocio

On the Ice
He should compete even if he is not 100% ready, try to get good levels on other elements, maximize the choreography and PE/IN, etc. It would be a great test for Sochi. Why expect until February and see that judges don't really enjoy your programs compared to other top skaters even if you have 1 or 2 quads?:confused2:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
He should compete even if he is not 100% ready, try to get good levels on other elements, maximize the choreography and PE/IN, etc. It would be a great test for Sochi. Why expect until February and see that judges don't really enjoy your programs compared to other top skaters even if you have 1 or 2 quads?:confused2:

I think so.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
A bronze medal is a big deal considering the competition. He will need two good programs with quads.

The men haven't been the sharpest this season, so his chances - which are still slim - appear to be better. I still think Kovtun has better potential to make a superior technical showing, and I don't get people who say he doesn't perform - I totally love his SP and the intricacy of it. His jumps aren't textbook, nor is he very experienced, which is working against him. Plus I really doubt the judges will be willing to give him the PCS necessary to be competitive for a medal. Plushenko on the other hand can probably skate any program and get better PCS than Kovtun, and particularly better PCS if he skates well. However, at this point it's an unlikelihood that any Russian man, even Plushenko can contend for a medal. I think it's a team event medal colour that's more on the line than an individual one.

bramweld

Record Breaker

I kid you not some screws might come lose. These Russians sometimes boggle the mind:eek:

yaya124

On the Ice
It seems that Evgeni won't attends COR, only Volvo Cup, in order to get the minimum TES. Probably he does not want to incorporate quads in his programs yet, because Mishin said that he will skate an "economy class program" in his first competition.
In 2010 he improved considerably his skating before Euros so I don't think we'll know so early in the season if he is able to participate at the Olys or not.

Where have you read that Plushenko won't attend COR? He officially withdraws? Mishin only said that they will start the season quietly (meaning start from a small competition), not saying that he will not attend COR.

I don't think it is a question of closing the gap. Plushenko will go if he can, otherwise Kovtun.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
As far as I understood Kovtun said it in the CoC press conference, probably he knows it from Tarasova. I was also convinced since Plushy was announced for COR that he won't participate. At this point I don't think he is able to face a skater like Fernandez. In my opinion the strategy is not very good, he should go even if he skates only with doubles, he has to get feedback from judges as many times as possible before Sochi.
He'll clearly go to Riga because he needs minimum TES for future competitions.

I don´t think Plushenko will get the feedback he needs from the judges in the Riga competition. There he will be a very big fish in a small pond and that will reflect into his scores very much.