Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Can Kovtun close the gap on Plushenko?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Kovtun can land quads. But he is far from a complete skater. He is totally devoid of musical sense. Rather than skating in 'phrases', where one jump moves smoothly into the next, and that into the next spin, etc., he hunches his shoulders and jumps, then turns around and hunches his shoulders and jumps again.

I hate watching him skate because it's like watching a beginning skater on pro ice.

Compared to him, Gachinsky is an artist. And believe me, I'm no Gachinsky fan!!
    Very true. Kovtun has hunch jumps that get him like no goe and his protocol sheet is all 1s and 0s because he's very bad in style of jumping and pcs is kind of almost below neutral because he does not perform. But worst of all he does flying upright spins when he should be doing more complicated ccsp or fcsp so he's trying strictly to outjump people and nothing else is important but there's even a flaw there because his quads are of poor quality and his quad toe entry involves doing a Charlotte spiral.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    Yes, I agree. I don't know what happened with Gachinsky. And that's true Gachi has 4T+ 3T combo and 4S too. But he can't do it on the competitions...
    His 4T at the Skate America long program was actually pretty nice. Do not lose hope! He will return!

Kovtun was excellent in the long program at Cup of China. He skated like someone who is serious about going to the Olympics if his number is called.

Custom Title
    Can Plushenko make it through a program? Thought he was still recuperating from some operation or something.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bramweld View Post
    Can Plushenko make it through a program? Thought he was still recuperating from some operation or something.
    Not just any operation! Spinal disc replacement! This is THE question!!! Can he do a whole 12 jump 3 spin 2 step free skate!!!

Custom Title
    Well Kovtun also missed a lot of jumps in the lp so I wouldn't write home yet. Plushy might not need everything to get to Sochi but he will need everything to beat Fernandez, Dai, hnyu and all. Remember Plushy was fighting Evan in 2010 and Evan does not have nearly the artistry or skating skills of Fernandez, Ten, the Japanese men and Chan.

Custom Title
    If Plushenko can't recover, I believe he won't participate. It would be a wise decision because he can risk other nasty injuries just at the end of his career. He has to take care of his family, skate in shows, etc, he'd better think about the future.

Custom Title
    Guess you will know soon enough since Plushenko will skate in Riga and plan to attend COR.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Well Kovtun also missed a lot of jumps in the lp so I wouldn't write home yet. Plushy might not need everything to get to Sochi but he will need everything to beat Fernandez, Dai, hnyu and all. Remember Plushy was fighting Evan in 2010 and Evan does not have nearly the artistry or skating skills of Fernandez, Ten, the Japanese men and Chan.
    missed a lot in the LP, he doubled a 4T that was it, but his PCS is low, needs work in speed and posture too
    you keep bringing up Evan who has a 0% chance compared to Zhenya

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by yaya124 View Post
    Guess you will know soon enough since Plushenko will skate in Riga and plan to attend COR.
    It seems that Evgeni won't attends COR, only Volvo Cup, in order to get the minimum TES. Probably he does not want to incorporate quads in his programs yet, because Mishin said that he will skate an "economy class program" in his first competition.
    In 2010 he improved considerably his skating before Euros so I don't think we'll know so early in the season if he is able to participate at the Olys or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    As he said, he would be glad if he can win a bronze medal. And look at Kovtun's scores, weren't too high despite the quads.

Quote Originally Posted by ciocio View Post
    If Plushenko can't recover, I believe he won't participate. It would be a wise decision because he can risk other nasty injuries just at the end of his career. He has to take care of his family, skate in shows, etc, he'd better think about the future.
    Yes, I agree.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    As he said, he would be glad if he can win a bronze medal.
    A bronze medal is a big deal considering the competition. He will need two good programs with quads.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Ciocio is it sure Plush wont go to Cor?
    And is he really going to RIga?

Re Kovtun, I liked his short program much more, and two quads were cool! His long program is too looong, empasizes the shortcomings I saw last year at Euros, aka no actual presentation and on ice personality. He needs to find his style, Tarasova also packages him as a 90s skater I think. On the other hand Euro guys mentioned his costume is very John Curry -ish, so to each their own I guess.

Custom Title
    Tarasova is packaging a lot of skaters in the 90s glory days style it seems.
    I hope Plushy is strong at Riga

Quote Originally Posted by ciocio View Post
    A bronze medal is a big deal considering the competition. He will need two good programs with quads.
    Yes, no doubt.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast