Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Can Kovtun close the gap on Plushenko?

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Ciocio is it sure Plush wont go to Cor?
    And is he really going to RIga?
    to your first question: we don't know, but probably...
    to second question: Yes, 100%!!!

Custom Title
    Ciocio is it sure Plush wont go to Cor?
    And is he really going to RIga?
    As far as I understood Kovtun said it in the CoC press conference, probably he knows it from Tarasova. I was also convinced since Plushy was announced for COR that he won't participate. At this point I don't think he is able to face a skater like Fernandez. In my opinion the strategy is not very good, he should go even if he skates only with doubles, he has to get feedback from judges as many times as possible before Sochi.
    He'll clearly go to Riga because he needs minimum TES for future competitions.

Regarding Kovtun you forgot the poor posture.

~high art~
    Evgeni should skate in the GP if he's healthy and serious about competing.

Custom Title
    He should compete even if he is not 100% ready, try to get good levels on other elements, maximize the choreography and PE/IN, etc. It would be a great test for Sochi. Why expect until February and see that judges don't really enjoy your programs compared to other top skaters even if you have 1 or 2 quads?

Quote Originally Posted by ciocio View Post
    He should compete even if he is not 100% ready, try to get good levels on other elements, maximize the choreography and PE/IN, etc. It would be a great test for Sochi. Why expect until February and see that judges don't really enjoy your programs compared to other top skaters even if you have 1 or 2 quads?
    I think so.

Custom Title
    A bronze medal is a big deal considering the competition. He will need two good programs with quads.
    The men haven't been the sharpest this season, so his chances - which are still slim - appear to be better. I still think Kovtun has better potential to make a superior technical showing, and I don't get people who say he doesn't perform - I totally love his SP and the intricacy of it. His jumps aren't textbook, nor is he very experienced, which is working against him. Plus I really doubt the judges will be willing to give him the PCS necessary to be competitive for a medal. Plushenko on the other hand can probably skate any program and get better PCS than Kovtun, and particularly better PCS if he skates well. However, at this point it's an unlikelihood that any Russian man, even Plushenko can contend for a medal. I think it's a team event medal colour that's more on the line than an individual one.

Custom Title
    I kid you not some screws might come lose. These Russians sometimes boggle the mind

Custom Title
    It seems that Evgeni won't attends COR, only Volvo Cup, in order to get the minimum TES. Probably he does not want to incorporate quads in his programs yet, because Mishin said that he will skate an "economy class program" in his first competition.
    In 2010 he improved considerably his skating before Euros so I don't think we'll know so early in the season if he is able to participate at the Olys or not.
    Where have you read that Plushenko won't attend COR? He officially withdraws? Mishin only said that they will start the season quietly (meaning start from a small competition), not saying that he will not attend COR.

I don't think it is a question of closing the gap. Plushenko will go if he can, otherwise Kovtun.

Custom Title
    As far as I understood Kovtun said it in the CoC press conference, probably he knows it from Tarasova. I was also convinced since Plushy was announced for COR that he won't participate. At this point I don't think he is able to face a skater like Fernandez. In my opinion the strategy is not very good, he should go even if he skates only with doubles, he has to get feedback from judges as many times as possible before Sochi.
    He'll clearly go to Riga because he needs minimum TES for future competitions.
    I don´t think Plushenko will get the feedback he needs from the judges in the Riga competition. There he will be a very big fish in a small pond and that will reflect into his scores very much.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    He goes to Riga to get his minimum TES for the Lp, which he could probably get by jumping doubles there. After that he wont have to go anywhere internationally until Sochi.
    Mathman is right, Kovtun wil go if Plush wont, but i wish Menshov had a chance too, he must have worked really hard to keep his level at this age. And we dont know what Voronov and Arthur will do at nationals, but all indications are Kovtun is the Heir.

Custom Title
    I will also be interested to see how Kovtun vs Farris goes at CoR. Yes, Kovtun is landing his quads at the moment and Farris hasn't landed his yet this year, but Farris' programs are absolutely gorgeous. His tango SP is so subtle and complex, and that Schindler's List will move audiences to tears when done clean. His jumps are gorgeous and big when he does them clean, his spins are superior to Kovtun's, and he actually feels the music, so his PCS could well be higher. Of course, he will be in Russia, which will work against him.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Well Kovtun also missed a lot of jumps in the lp so I wouldn't write home yet. Plushy might not need everything to get to Sochi but he will need everything to beat Fernandez, Dai, hnyu and all. Remember Plushy was fighting Evan in 2010 and Evan does not have nearly the artistry or skating skills of Fernandez, Ten, the Japanese men and Chan.
    I believe plushenko is smarter than he was in 2010. Cop smarter. He talks a lot about knowing more. But can he execute smart now. or is that prevented by body issues?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    I believe plushenko is smarter than he was in 2010. Cop smarter. He talks a lot about knowing more. But can he execute smart now. or is that prevented by body issues?
    After it cost him a few victories (particularly the Olympics), I would imagine he is much smarter with things like program layout and levels and attempting all jumping passes/combos. A big question mark though is if he can execute a 2-quad 2-axel program for the first time in a long time. I think 1 quad + 1 axel will be enough for him to hold off Kovtun and the other Russian men, but certainly not enough for the podium in Sochi.

Custom Title
    He goes to Riga to get his minimum TES for the Lp, which he could probably get by jumping doubles there. After that he wont have to go anywhere internationally until Sochi.
    That's what I'm fearing because like Janna said too Volvo Cup is not enough to get feedback from judges.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast