Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 162

Thread: Can Kovtun close the gap on Plushenko?

  1. #16
    Custom Title DobrinFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    686
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    It's all about who Tarasova backs, didn't you know?
    Her pimp hand is strong, respect

  2. #17
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    384
    Normally Plushenko should beat Kovtun with one leg and half healthy back, only. If he is not able, he clearly should not go to Olympics.

  3. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,379
    Quote Originally Posted by ciocio View Post
    Normally Plushenko should beat Kovtun with one leg and half healthy back, only. If he is not able, he clearly should not go to Olympics.
    it is clearly Plushenko or Kovtun to the Olympics

    the others are taken at the backseat Menshov, Voronov
    and Gachinski has been dumped since losing 2 spots in 2012
    not sure why Kovtun is exempted because he bombed 2013 worlds too

  4. #19
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    384
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    not sure why Kovtun is exempted because he bombed 2013 worlds too
    Because of Tarasova.

  5. #20
    Custom Title spikydurian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    978
    Quote Originally Posted by mielikki View Post
    Maxim Kovtun seems to be the most psycologically stable in Russian men's field. I've read many of his interviews and it's clear he has a trait of forgetting his failures very quickly (and the fed doesn't even count them as failures, due to TAT's support), very self-confident, with an utmost desire to become a star, so I wouldn't talk about any "psycological scars" here.
    The thing is that they are forcing things with these quads, being in a hurry because of home Olympics. There's more probability of some physical oops happening and stamina issues, than anything to do with his head.
    I agree he has potential. If only his coaches had the idea of developing gradually instead of making heroic giant leaps right now.
    One person can't save their men. There have to be several top-class skaters, like they have in pairs and ice dance.
    Makes a lot of sense to me!

    His skating isn't that bad as some indicated on this thread. He just happened to crack at the last Worlds and his first World outing. He's only 17 then. I think if he continues to grow, he will be up there some day. Fairer to compare him to those who are in his age group.

  6. #21
    Custom Title plushyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,334
    Kovtun's SP on Russian cup( yesterday) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iByPzMv9xuY 78.00 4S fall, 4T hand down + 1T, 3A GOE +1

    he was 18 in June.

  7. #22
    skating philosopher
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    7,983
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    Makes a lot of sense to me!

    His skating isn't that bad as some indicated on this thread. He just happened to crack at the last Worlds and his first World outing. He's only 17 then. I think if he continues to grow, he will be up there some day. Fairer to compare him to those who are in his age group.
    He wouldn't have been at Worlds if he was part of a different federation -- he was 5th at Nationals.

    Even with Plushy out of the picture there were three other guys they could have sent instead. Not saying they would have fared better or worse, but I can see why people don't take too much pity on him when basically he was was clearly favored over several guys for the spot. Actually that favoritism started when he was sent to Euros over Menshov, who finished two spots above him. Kovtum's better Euros placement gave him the spot at Worlds.

    Really if the federation wants to do him a favor, they should lay off and not push him so much so he can grow at his own pace!

    Among people his age/level (Yan Han, Joshua Farris, Jason Brown, et. al) he definitely has the jumps, but not much else, in my opinion. I think his JGPF win was deserved on the TES marks, but he has a lot to do to become a more complete skater. That's not to say Yan, Josh and Jason aren't without their own weaknesses, but I don't think Maxim is that much superior to them and no where near the wunderkid of that age group, Yuzuru Hanyu.

  8. #23
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,591
    I wouldn't even say kovtun has very good jumps now that he's in senior. As a jr doing jr length skates he was fine but add 30 seconds he is a mess. And his technique on quad toes is awful.

  9. #24
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,649
    To the thread title question.

    Kovtun would actually have to land the jumps he planned. And to do so under pressure.

  10. #25
    leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,580
    Kovtun at Euros last year was indifferent to me, if I didnt know the whole drama which took place before he went there, I might had not noticed him, I dont remember anything of his programs other than he was skating to a soundtrack? I dont see him as the heir of Plush of Yag. And I was a big fan of Menshov's programs last year, I admit.

    I ve heard Arthur has a great Lp this season to Anna Karenina.This is a vid from his training at FT.

    I haven't seen any of bionic Plushy 's programs, has he skated them yet in public?

  11. #26
    skating philosopher
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    7,983
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Kovtun at Euros last year was indifferent to me, if I didnt know the whole drama which took place before he went there, I might had not noticed him, I dont remember anything of his programs other than he was skating to a soundtrack? I dont see him as the heir of Plush of Yag. And I was a big fan of Menshov's programs last year, I admit.

    I ve heard Arthur has a great Lp this season to Anna Karenina.This is a vid from his training at FT.

    I haven't seen any of bionic Plushy 's programs, has he skated them yet in public?
    Hi seniorita!

    Menshov actually caught my attention at Skate America. He did quite well finishing 4th behind the Japanese sweep. I get that he's "old" but I feel he should have had a shot to compete at Euros.

  12. #27
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,718
    Kovtun's free skate from the Russia Cup. He won the competition with a score of 150.37 for the long program and 228.37 overall. Dmitriev was 2nd with 211.33, and Pitkeev 3rd with 210.77

  13. #28
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,591
    How does One learn to do a quad like that? that is like leg wrap times a million! But he did do a quad toe and salchow. Pop lutz, doubled quad ,no 3 jump combo, ur triple axel. Needs a lot of technical improvement - music is ok. Kovtun is Not really interesting.

  14. #29
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,828
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    How does One learn to do a quad like that? that is like leg wrap times a million!
    Probably the same way Midori was able to do her 3A.

  15. #30
    The King has arrived - no questions! plushyta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    323
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    ....
    I haven't seen any of bionic Plushy 's programs, has he skated them yet in public?
    Plushy skated his old SP "Tosca" with elements from his new SP on 5 shows in St.Petersburg 01-04.10.2013
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...KWyH_TMY37jsiu


    --------------------

    Tarasova: Russia's Plushenko Guaranteed Olympic Place if Fit
    :
    http://en.ria.ru/sochi2014/20131005/...val-Coach.html

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •